Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I seem to remember we have a little bit more than slavery to complain about. Last time I checked, it was whites that created jim crow laws, burning crosses on front lawns, turning on fire hoses, racial profiling, seperate bathrooms, "no blacks allowed in here", I could go on, but you get the point. I love how white people, who were the reason for holding blacks down for so long, feel they should tell us to get over it now, especially when racism is alive and well in 2012. Thats like me assaulting a kid, he suffers mental and physical problems for years after and I tell him he should get over it, it happened years ago.
Are the same people who perpetuated those wrongs the same people you meet every day now? Or do they just get the blame because they are white like they were?

And yes, there is still plenty of racism. But you've got to also acknowledge that non-racist whites are tired of taking the blame for the racists, and they shouldn't have to. People are individuals, not blobs that you can assign all the same characteristics to because of what they look like. I think non-racists whites' biggest failing was not to have spoken up enough in the past, especially during Jim Crow. But it also puzzles me that blacks seem completely ignorant or silent on the efforts of the abolition movement during slavery (I even read where one guy thought that John Brown was black.) Slavery would not have ended without the efforts of whites. Civil Rights would not have occurred without the help of white people who believed the status quo was wrong.

Anger at the wrong is understandable, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How about we stop quantifying everything by race and just consider that we're all Americans and let it go at that?
Because it's not that simple, although you and many others in this country would like it to be. With America's HISTORY, that is not an option. You may say that of natives in Norway, not America.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't have any personal failures.
That statement explains a lot about you.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Yes, they do... it is much easier for a poor white person to move up the economic ladder than a poor minority... just simple fact. Believe or not.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Blacks riot over Nike shoes. Enough said

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Other than that "leftist race rhetoric" boilerplate, I don't see any real response.
Your statement doesn't deserve a real response. You just said that anyone who has enough money to pay taxes has "stolen" it.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, they do... it is much easier for a poor white person to move up the economic ladder than a poor minority... just simple fact. Believe or not.
Right, because poor whites can take advantage of all the affirmative action programs in place better than minorites

Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM

I love when folks (usually whites), like to make America so simple, when it's so freaking complex. People, race is a factor in almost everything in American society...it's a fact and get over it. It's been about race since Colombus landed on Hispanola and called the natives savages. Our country was built on white males making Indians to be savages, importing blacks, and continued discrimination right to this day. Let's not pretend like all is even steven and everyone is treated "equally" and we live in a Utopia in modern day America. Is all BS and you know it. Have we come a long way since Jamestown? Of course! Is it perfect...far from it. We still have a long way to go.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Blacks riot over Nike shoes. Enough said
Whites riot over hockey games...enough said.

See, that took SO MUCH effort.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Whites riot over hockey games...enough said.

See, that took SO MUCH effort.

we riot better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies