Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I did not see removing the two F's that I did not deserve to begin with a favor. I had done OWE from the 10th grade on and had over the required credits to graduate. What I saw was the F's were there because of the assumption that I was hispanic.
I'd like for you to read your own posts and cut and paste the exact evidence that justified 2 F's. Who issued them, for what, and why? The way you're speaking to me you sound like you have a grievance with organization of any kind, which isn't a valid grievance. It's an irrational expectation of a civilization you're not meaningfully taking responsibility for yourself. I suspect you are much younger than I, and so, your perception has yet to evolve until you feel the yoke of responsibility fully on your own back and have to problem solve rather than complain like a baby bird wanting a worm. I don't think you're there yet.

The bold in your post is a conviction based on circumstantial feelings, not based on facts. That's prejudice, dear. How would anyone ever going get beyond prejudice if they're mimicking the people they claim to be taking issue over? This includes the prejudice Catholics experienced at the hands of well heeled Protestants failing to uphold their own stated principles. Once we all agree on the principles, the quarrel was ended by most with the intelligence to realize what was most important.

Am I leery of illegal immigrants? Yes I am. Here's a little bit of the reasoning why. I had a bench warrant for my arrest once. It was entirely unfounded. A police officer tapped me on the shoulder and informed me that I had been driving around uninsured for half a year. Untrue. I had the insurance card right there in my hand. That one silly piece of paper was the difference between dragging an old lady out of her car, handcuffing her, and throwing her in the humiliation pokey on a technicality that got out of hand. Getting to the bottom of the problem took 2 weeks. Turns out some clerk from my insurance company transposed numbers and sent it off to DMV verification. When things didn't match up DMV defaulted to the conclusion that I had no insurance and the burden of proof of innocence got put upon me but they were sending warning notices to someone else's address. The address of the transposed numbers. DMV had this verification policy because there were too many illegal immigrants driving around uninsured, or with forged insurance papers, and I got caught up in a legal dragnet wrongfully as a result.

Now, I could tell the story that the cops were persecuting me. They're thugs. They're beasts. They didn't write the law, and the law had nothing to do with race. It had to do with legal compliance of motorists. I could tell the story that the insurance company was persecuting me when it was in fact a simple error which was NOT a personal attack. They apologized and made it right. That's enough, and I remain a loyal customer for decades. I could tell the story that bureaucrats were ruining my world over one error, when in truth those bureaucrats prevent more mistakes than they make keeping the wheels of civilization turning fairly smoothly. People never measure honestly about prevention or success stories. They harp on the single error as if any human being has the capacity to be a machine, and that injustice done to low wage workers is wrong.

I would hope my grievance directed @ DMV convicting me & forcing me to prove innocence shaped their policies further with the objective of preventing this from happening to anyone else in a nation where you are innocent until proven guilty. With reasoned argument, minus hissy fits, the DMV manager realized that principles were not well served in this case and promised to send it up the chain to improve procedures. You're welcome, everyone. This too is what democracy is about. It involves being inconvenienced at times to ensure that principles are upheld even handedly for the greater good of all.

I can also tell myself the story that illegal immigrants have cost me in more ways than one because my insurance premiums doubled for 'uninsured motorist' coverage. Briefly residing in California long ago it was approaching triple. In other words, I was forced to pay someone else's insurance obligation just in case they hit me. Fair? Hell no. They also cost me when I'm law abiding and special legal procedures have to be concocted to compensate for their scofflaw habits. They also cost me when I go to the laundromat to wash my oversized comforters, put a 20 in the coin machine, and can't turn my back a minute moving coins to my wallet before one of them believes free money just came out of a slot machine. They didn't get away with it, however, it erodes the community of respect and common decency that they <allegedly> came here to enjoy. Race relations are forged every day by how well or how poorly we treat one another. Have been schooled enough by these experiences with illegal immigrants? Do I have enough information?

Have white folks been burdened with illegals? Yes. Have they been treated unfairly by illegals? Yes. Have they been disrespect by illegals? Yes. Are illegals importing racism to America? Go ask blacks & asians what they think when they too have to pay triple insurance premiums. When illegal immigrants are selling drugs in their neighborhoods & putting graffiti on their schools & streets signs. Ask the asian shop keepers harassed by illegal immigrant gangs. Ignorance of the law is no defense for asians, whites or blacks, but willful ignorance from illegal immigrants that have no regard for property rights IS?

Is it fair that native born latinos be presumed illegal immigrant? Why were they passively accepting it so long at the expense of the community? They're not as innocent as they claim. It's my sincerest wish that native born well adjusted latinos would set themselves to task cleaning up this porch and get it meaningfully solved or run the risk of continuing to facilitate prejudice themselves. If any other group of individuals were inflicting themselves on latinos they'd have just cause for grievance. Standing silent when injustice is perpetrated by 'their own', which are not really their own when there's trouble involved, but are their own when political power potential is involved, doesn't serve truth, justice, or the principles that founded this nation.

Am I blaming YOU for this mess? No, but you're neither helping solutions along, and worse, you're adding fuel to the fire with more misdirection of blame muddling the issues involved. You're refusing to acknowledge the grievances that people are reacting to. The people who rang the dinner bell inviting illegals here standing on the foot of border patrol and INS in the first place went laughing to the bank long ago leaving us all stuck cleaning up their mess, disrupting race relations and citizenship for all equally. They imported poverty to America, and gee, I wonder why the war on poverty hasn't worked out when SOME people mean to preserve it/ recreate slavery for profit??

True story from Long Island: I have no grievance with Portuguese nationals until they buy a suburban home and become slum lords by illegally renting it out to 40 illegal immigrants hot racking and running a garden hose for raw sewage into the back yard. When some of these 40 illegals are refugees from the laws of their nation of origin. When some of them are dealing drugs. When all of them are loitering at 7-11 and home depot parking lots in an under ground economy dodging taxes. When one or two of them is preying on little girls standing at their bus stop on the way to school. Fact: there's nothing to get along with here. If they're unwilling to adjust to a new standard of living & commit themselves fully to upholding citizenship they need to leave.

You aren't as innocent as you believe so long as you remain oblivious to wrongdoing in false representation. So long as you turn a blind eye to injustice you perpetrate yourself, and the injustice perpetrated by illegals.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Thanks for all of the postings, it shows you've looked into this issue quite a bit, kudos. Hands down, I say yes. There is a lot of discrimination, racism and hate out there and it goes both (or should I say all) ways. I'm glad that efforts have been made to curb the problems (equal-opportunity employment, housing, harassment/discrimination laws in the workplace, etc.). I'm glad America has made strides since slavery and segregation but we have a long way to go. White people are taught that "everybody is equal" and "everybody counts" but some other folks likely have true experiences as to how not everybody thinks so.
Who is "WE"?

There are people (of all colors, race, creed etc) who uphold the principles that founded this nation, and there are others riding on the credit of others work not upholding anything at all but self interest and exploitation. This includes maladjusted blacks, maladjusted illegals, and maladjusted whites playing their crabs in a barrel nonsense games. They'd rather not be American and I think it more pragmatic we oblige them with eviction notices.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
I can't see how anybody could be enraged at a business owner hiring a white guy over a black guy if his experience has shown him the odds are better going with the white guy. People go into business to make money, not conduct social experiments. It takes money to train people, and as a manager if I had observed a 50% attrition rate among blacks vs a 20% rate among whites, well, I'm doing the smart thing and hiring white guys most of the time.
That's what makes business work, smart planning.
If I buy a Kia and the engine blows after 2 years, the buy a Volvo that lasts 10 yrs, you can bet my next car wouldn't be a kia, even if they had improved over that 10 year span. Why? Because I was conditioned to think Kias are unreliable, and will make a decision based on experience.
Probably don't want to see these things if you're not on the outside looking in, but its the truth and most people know it.
Bill Cosby nailed it and now the black folks hate him.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I can't see how anybody could be enraged at a business owner hiring a white guy over a black guy if his experience has shown him the odds are better going with the white guy. People go into business to make money, not conduct social experiments. It takes money to train people, and as a manager if I had observed a 50% attrition rate among blacks vs a 20% rate among whites, well, I'm doing the smart thing and hiring white guys most of the time.
That's what makes business work, smart planning.
If I buy a Kia and the engine blows after 2 years, the buy a Volvo that lasts 10 yrs, you can bet my next car wouldn't be a kia, even if they had improved over that 10 year span. Why? Because I was conditioned to think Kias are unreliable, and will make a decision based on experience.
Probably don't want to see these things if you're not on the outside looking in, but its the truth and most people know it.
Bill Cosby nailed it and now the black folks hate him.
Well by that token then if the American experience has been that whites are racist, then why should not society be allowed to go with affirmative action to try and mitigate some of that racism? It seems that you don't want whites to get judged by the history of other whites, yet, you think its ok for blacks to be judged by the history of other blacks in regards to employment.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well by that token then if the American experience has been that whites are racist, then why should not society be allowed to go with affirmative action to try and mitigate some of that racism? It seems that you don't want whites to get judged by the history of other whites, yet, you think its ok for blacks to be judged by the history of other blacks in regards to employment.
I'm actually looking forward to the responses from this post.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Whites represent a pretty broad brushstroke. Blacks not even nearly so much.
The term white actually represents many backgrounds, so that's not even fair.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Whites represent a pretty broad brushstroke. Blacks not even nearly so much.
The term white actually represents many backgrounds, so that's not even fair.

I'm more of a peach tone

Old 02-26-2012, 04:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
I don' think we can say anything so broad and sweeping as "whites have it easier" or anything like that. Everyone is different and while a rich white kid may have it easier than a poor black kid, a rich Hispanic kid has it easier than a poor white kid.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM

261 posts, read 589,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You mean, there's no racism that originates from blacks expecting I'll discriminate against them because their peers & family of origin primed them into that paranoia? To prejudge that any constructive criticism coming from whites in a school setting or on the job is all about 'oppression'? I've seen some evil things a white man would do to his own family when an inheritance is involved, but that doesn't even come near the evil I've seen blacks perpetrate installing this poison in the heads of their own kids.
I'm not sure what the point of this post was in response to mine but it didn't seem to detract anything away from my original point: biased attitudes about race are not uncommon among employers in workplaces and that's that. And I never said Blacks always expect to face employer discrimination. I said they are aware of the possibility of it and being viewed in the context of race, the same way a woman is aware of being viewed in the context of gender opposed to a man, an elderly person viewed in context of age opposed to a young adult or an overweight person viewed in context of weight opposed to a slim person.

Prejudice exists against a number of factors. For many minorities race is naturally another potential bias factor added to an already long list of individual factors because minorities are so widely conditioned to be stereotyped. I also said I noticed for the other groups I mentioned being aware of those types of biases is viewed as legitimate concern and not being accused of playing some type of "card". But for a minority to be aware of of a possible race bias is to play the race card.

Reiterating my original point I think Whites benefit from social reputation as a group. Of course Whites are as vulnerable to the prejudices of other groups they belong to as any other person can but in this particular area they are typically a group that does not have to deal with stereotypes that have the power to damage reputation. Whites do usually have it better in this area simply because 'race' is just one less factor they have to worry about in most circumstances.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm actually looking forward to the responses from this post.
I would argue that the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment makes affirmative action unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies