Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 917,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I seem to remember we have a little bit more than slavery to complain about. Last time I checked, it was whites that created jim crow laws, burning crosses on front lawns, turning on fire hoses, racial profiling, seperate bathrooms, "no blacks allowed in here", I could go on, but you get the point. I love how white people, who were the reason for holding blacks down for so long, feel they should tell us to get over it now, especially when racism is alive and well in 2012. Thats like me assaulting a kid, he suffers mental and physical problems for years after and I tell him he should get over it, it happened years ago.
Well I didn't do those things, nor have any people I know. A drunk black guy in a stolen car killed my cousin last year driving the wrong way on the interstate. By your logic I should blame you for that.

So what's the answer? Something needs to change and so far from my point of view I don't see a lot of blacks trying to improve their situation.

Dwelling on the past won't get you much.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,706,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
So is the tax base.
So is the proportion of wealth, so the tax base should be dominated by those who stole - I mean, have - more wealth.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,732,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Well I didn't do those things, nor have any people I know. A drunk black guy in a stolen car killed my cousin last year driving the wrong way on the interstate. By your logic I should blame you for that.

So what's the answer? Something needs to change and so far from my point of view I don't see a lot of blacks trying to improve their situation.

Dwelling on the past won't get you much.
A white guy pulled my brother out of his vehicle, after an accident that knocked him out caused his vehicle to catch fire.

I think the difference here is that there were laws to keep black people down. The government was complicit in the oppression of black people, in a nation of the people, by the people and for the people. Hence, the oppression of black people is a government liability. Its like the national debt is a government liability that gets passed down to citizens regardless of the individuals lack of role in creating the debt. As a citizen one inherits that assets and liabilities of the nation without regards to personal responsibility in creating the asset or liability or whether it was born in the past or present. I mean...one could argue that a person like you should relinquish many rights and freedoms you enjoy, as a result of being a citizen of this nation, due to the fact that you played no role in creating them. If you argue that you should not have the burden of liabilities then you should also not have the benefits of assets passed to you without regard to you playing a role in creating them.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,203,729 times
New York has random stop and searches that are allowed ( for some reason). of course, the data showed the police searched more blacks and hispanics. They obviously were trying to find drugs.

One would think if they're going to be racist, they would do it for a reason and actually get some results, right? Wrong, the study showed that there was no increase, and in some counties they even found more drugs on white people. So did they accomodate? Of course not.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,706,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
New York has random stop and searches that are allowed ( for some reason). of course, the data showed the police searched more blacks and hispanics. They obviously were trying to find drugs.

One would think if they're going to be racist, they would do it for a reason and actually get some results, right? Wrong, the study showed that there was no increase, and in some counties they even found more drugs on white people. So did they accomodate? Of course not.
No, they did it one better. They planted drugs on black and Latino "suspects."

Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM

576 posts, read 586,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Eh. On average, white people have it better, meaning if you are speaking as a group.

But that is not the same as saying any individual white person is better off than any individual black person. There is also social class, education level, gender, personality, etc to consider when you are talking about individuals.

So a poor white boy in rural Mississippi is not necessarily better off than Sasha and Malia Obama, or any highly educated middle class black kid for that matter.

But if you have 2 people with similar upbringings, etc, the white one is more likely to have an easier time of it than the black one, simply from the way society reacts to each. AS A GROUP.

The problem is, saying that touches off rounds of defensiveness. LOL.
So on this issue it is ok to generalize/stereotype but others not so much?
I could list a bunch of "averages" that I doubt people would be so quick let fly. Instead I would hear "you cant do that because of a few examples, blah, blah, blah..."

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,867,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I seem to remember we have a little bit more than slavery to complain about. Last time I checked, it was whites that created jim crow laws, burning crosses on front lawns, turning on fire hoses, racial profiling, seperate bathrooms, "no blacks allowed in here", I could go on, but you get the point. I love how white people, who were the reason for holding blacks down for so long, feel they should tell us to get over it now, especially when racism is alive and well in 2012. Thats like me assaulting a kid, he suffers mental and physical problems for years after and I tell him he should get over it, it happened years ago.
No it's like assaulting a kid 100 years ago and then you tell his great grandchildren to stop blaming all of their problems on something that never happened to them.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that you've never had a firehose turned on you, you've never had to use racially segregated bathrooms, you've never seen a "blacks not allowed" sign anywhere but a museum and you've never seen a cross burning other than in movies.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,825,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
So on this issue it is ok to generalize/stereotype but others not so much?
I could list a bunch of "averages" that I doubt people would be so quick let fly. Instead I would hear "you cant do that because of a few examples, blah, blah, blah..."

What?

I answered the question "Do White People Have It Better?". My answer was "Yes on average, though not every individual white person necessarily does".

You are seeming to imply something else made up in your head that has nothing to do with this conversation. If you are trying to play a game of racial gothca, you are going to need to get more specific than that, since right now you seem to be saying that we cant answer a general question with a general answer. LOL

Last edited by Tinawina; 02-27-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,203,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, they did it one better. They planted drugs on black and Latino "suspects."
That as well. There was a new case in the news recently. A dumb cop was caught and recorded telling two black guys he's going to "make stuff up" to prosecute them.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,954,375 times
To answer the question, yest white people have it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
That as well. There was a new case in the news recently. A dumb cop was caught and recorded telling two black guys he's going to "make stuff up" to prosecute them.
^^^Why is it that things like this are always ignored by the "the blacks" are responsible for their condition and there is no such thing as racism crowd? If you want to do away with racism, want people to take responsibility for their own actions then the playing ground needs to be leveled first. You can't disregard the racist history of this country and its impact on the present, allow racist practices in businesses and other institutions then say that there should be no "special treatment" for minorities when in actuality, minorities only want to enjoy the same rights and privliges as the majority.

Is it easier than it was 50 years ago? Of course. Is racism as much a factor as it was then? Of course not, but it is a factor and until it isn't, it cannot and will not be ignored. Some guy in the middle of Hickville shouting the N word is irrelevant, but business owners who refuse to hire a qualified black person just because they're black, police officers who racially profile and principals or teachers who favor students based on their race are.

People should take personal responsibility, but there is still no excuse for racism and it is not so cut and dry or black and white as some people would like us to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies