Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Liberals like to use instances like rape, incest, or health of the mother as means to support their pro-choice viewpoint but those three situations combined only make up less than 5% of abortions. The rest are for purely social reasons.
And right wing anti abortion folks live in a dream world where they think they can actually stop abortions with government rules.

Aren't you supposed to be the party of less government intervention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 PM

994 posts, read 725,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Biologically, the fetus has a parasitic relationship with the woman/host until it can survive outside the womb. Now, that sounds like harsh language, but it's a fact- the woman is not a carrying vessel, and she can survive just fine without the fetus, while the reverse is not true. Hence, different laws involving different trimesters.
Which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you really think about it. Because if it never gets to the point of viability then by definition the baby won't survive anyway so the whole abortion question is a moot point entirely. Thus, there's no compelling reason to make viability the point of compelling interest. For all the relevance it has you could pick any other point just as well.

Quote:
I continue to think that most people against abortions are against women having sex without "having to pay for playing." Otherwise, there'd be wall-to-wall support and education for birth control, no?
No. Maybe you're against birth control for religious reasons. Maybe you're against "wall to wall" support and education because it would cost too much. Maybe you're against it because you think it promotes promiscuity. Maybe you think it's better to be abstinent. Who knows.

You can't just make up your own reason why "most" people feel the way they do. It's not up to you.

Quote:
If I'd gotten pregnant despite all my birth control efforts as a young woman, I might have had qualms about an abortion during a particular point in my spiritual life.But it's still my decision, and I do know that few "abortions" happen when the baby is being born, despite whatever films were shown in church.
True. People on the pro life side tend to over-emphasize partial birth abortion.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Regardless of any laws, women will always have abortions, just like they did in the past, based on the notion that what is within their bodies is for them to decide on. (I read somewhere that even some animals abort their fetuses under certain conditions.)
There are various countries where abortion is prohibited, but when they feel like they need to have an abortion, people always find ways to do it anyway, be it abroad, be it by means of certain substances.
It's like with the prohibition of alcohol, it just won't work, but only bring about dirtier conditions for the inevitable.

So at the end of the day it would make more sense to a) try to keep people from becoming pregnant against their will, and b) help those who don't feel ready to be moms, but don't want to have an abortion, either.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
The left doesn't have a "pro abortion" stance but rather a "pro choice" one.
Semantics. It's the cold blooded pre-meditated murder of unborn innocent children.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
It's not a choice about your body. It's a choice about another person's life. You're the one who doesn't get it.
Rip it out, it will die.
So, how's it not about my body?
I'm the incubator.

Don't want an abortion, Trace, don't have one.
Leave me to my own choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Semantics. It's the cold blooded pre-meditated murder of unborn innocent children.
And you have the nerve to say semantics. Ha.

"unborn chidren" is just your emotional meme to get the results you want.
It's not an unborn child; a child is one that is born.

If you at least tried to be accurate and reasonable, perhaps people would hear you.
But this emotional claptrap is dishonest and simply for control.

How many crack babies have you adopted?
Do you support public resources being made available for born children?
Are you simply here to punish women for having (perhaps-if they're lucky) a good time?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And right wing anti abortion folks live in a dream world where they think they can actually stop abortions with government rules.

Aren't you supposed to be the party of less government intervention?
The funny thing is that the US abortion rates are twice that of what you have in Europe where abortion is accepted and more easily available. The lack of comprehensive sex education, abstinence only education, access to contraceptives and lack of health insurance are often seen as the reasons why there is more teenage pregnancy and more abortion. Much of these are caused by policies pushed by religious fundamentalists in the United States.

Thus, you could argue that the religious right causes more abortions in the United States than they stop.

Quote:
Don't want an abortion, Trace, don't have one.
Leave me to my own choices.
It's an internet forum. Some people on here don't get any, so it's easy for them to point the finger.

Quote:
Not in the United States it's not.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
A woman who was 12 weeks pregnant had an appointment with the Calthorpe Clinic and explained to a doctor that she and her partner wished to terminate the pregnancy because they “don’t want a girlâ€. A certain Dr Raj responded, “That’s not fair. It’s like female infanticide, isn’t it?â€
It's a good thing I support the right for any women to abort for any reason as long as the fetus is not capable of living outside of the womb.

Quote:
Can you imagine if there were genetic testing for sexual orientation? Abortion (or the test) would be banned tomorrow.
No it wouldn't.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Any chancce you would be willing to take a stab at the sex selection question? I completely understand why all the pro abortion folks want to dodge the question. It kind of makes your whole, "its none of my business" argument fall apart.

By the way are you suggesting PP spends 97% of its funds on supporting woman who choose to keep a child? I don't believe you are correct.
I don't know PP's budget, seriously, and I'm unmotivated to look it up. But, I can be pretty sure that pregnancy services account for a decent amount of it - certainly more than the "nothing" you'd asserted earlier.

As far as abortion for sex selection? I think it's a horrible thing. I'd never have an abortion for that reason, and I doubt anyone I know would, either. However, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and you are not required to give your reasons in the first trimester. After that, it must be medically necessary.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
In the third world, unwanted baby girls 'disappear’. It’s called gendercide. And it’s happening in this country, too - Telegraph

"A woman who was 12 weeks pregnant had an appointment with the Calthorpe Clinic and explained to a doctor that she and her partner wished to terminate the pregnancy because they “don’t want a girl”. A certain Dr Raj responded, “That’s not fair. It’s like female infanticide, isn’t it?” "

Can you imagine if there were genetic testing for sexual orientation? Abortion (or the test) would be banned tomorrow.
For a change I kind of agree with you. Such criteria for abortion really give me a headache. While I am pro-choice, there are not many factors I consider a justification for abortion, namely rape, threat of mother's life, severe disability (even that one can be tricky) and maybe one or two others I can't think of now. But mere preference is not a justification in my view.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't know PP's budget, seriously, and I'm unmotivated to look it up. But, I can be pretty sure that pregnancy services account for a decent amount of it - certainly more than the "nothing" you'd asserted earlier.

As far as abortion for sex selection? I think it's a horrible thing. I'd never have an abortion for that reason, and I doubt anyone I know would, either. However, abortion is a legal medical procedure, and you are not required to give your reasons in the first trimester. After that, it must be medically necessary.

Chew on this.

JUST THE FACTS: Planned Parenthood in 2007: 305,310 Abortions, 4,912 Adoption Referrals

I know have I struck a nerve with the pro abortion crowd because they know I am right.

Abortion for sex selection can be a big detriment to a society. China is struggling with it now. Of course abortion can be regulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies