Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Chew on this.

JUST THE FACTS: Planned Parenthood in 2007: 305,310 Abortions, 4,912 Adoption Referrals

I know have I struck a nerve with the pro abortion crowd because they know I am right.

Abortion for sex selection can be a big detriment to a society. China is struggling with it now. Of course abortion can be regulated.
It appears that you believe there are only two options - abortion and adoption. What about the women who use PP for prenatal care? This blog doesn't address that (of course, their bias is glaringly obvious - permitted in a blog).

Also, you're confusing the pervasive societal attitudes and one-child policy of China with the much more laissez-faire ("I want a baby, whatever its gender") attitude of the US. Yes, some people sex-select, but it is not likely to become the primary (or secondary) reason for abortion.

What I found in browsing around is that PP's spending on abortion is about 15% of the budget. 66% of their spending is domestic medical services (including abortion), so 46% is spent on non-abortion medical services - which includes prenatal care and pregnancy testing. I haven't seen a detailed breakdown for those line items, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
For a change I kind of agree with you. Such criteria for abortion really give me a headache. While I am pro-choice, there are not many factors I consider a justification for abortion, namely rape, threat of mother's life, severe disability (even that one can be tricky) and maybe one or two others I can't think of now. But mere preference is not a justification in my view.
Then you shouldn't have one.
If I'm pregnant, I'm aborting. Very simple.

The law of the US (where you don't live and whose laws don't affect you) look at it differently.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then you shouldn't have one.
If I'm pregnant, I'm aborting. Very simple.

The law of the US (where you don't live and whose laws don't affect you) look at it differently.
If you're pregnant, you're aborting? As a rule?

I simply do think of a fetus as a human being in the making, thus personally I can't accept any old reason stated for an abortion.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Nope. Nice try though, OP. I'm not returning to the 20s just so you can feel better.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
So sad, the sign of a losing argument is name calling.
I call them as I see them.

Quote:
To claim that PP is not an abortion provider or provides support for all choices equally is silly in the extreme.
Luckily, I claimed neither. All I said was - to recap - that "They do nothing to support woman who choose to carry children to term" is a fabrication, a point you still haven't addressed and probably won't.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 02-27-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Chew on this.

JUST THE FACTS: Planned Parenthood in 2007: 305,310 Abortions, 4,912 Adoption Referrals

I know have I struck a nerve with the pro abortion crowd because they know I am right.

Abortion for sex selection can be a big detriment to a society. China is struggling with it now. Of course abortion can be regulated.
Ummm....those stats don't mean squat.

Want to know why?

Because most women who have decided to choose adoption get in contact with an ADOPTION AGENCY right off the bat.....not Planned Parenthood.

You can't demonize Planned Parenthood because they do not talk women who WANT an abortion out of having one. Planned Parenthood just provides the options and allows the women to make up their own minds. It is not their job to browbeat women into keeping a pregnancy they have decided to abort.

Women who have already decided to abort go to PP. Some women may change their mind once they are there.....that is all your stats prove. They change their minds of their own volition.....not because they were guilted or browbeaten into it.

Abortion for sex selection is not a problem in THIS country. Maybe, just maybe, because in THIS country women are seen as, and treated as, equals.... capable of contributing just as much as males do to society.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Abortion is a human rights issue...it's the political big-wigs who control people's thoughts that make it a political issue. What under God's green earth makes this a left-wing thing? China, supposedly communist, is the most vociferous aborter of infants.

Abortion is not a feminist issue...it's a civil rights issue, but it ain't about the rights of the woman carrying the 'parasite' it's about the right of the child.

We've come full circle as eugenics was behind early history of the abortion industry.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

We've come full circle as eugenics was behind early history of the abortion industry.
It still is, but it's not as obvious now.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Read the thread, if you can provide some evidence the left provides the same level of support to any organization that provides services to women who carry their babies to term, as they do to Planned Parenthood. I would be happy to evaluate it. Until then, the left pays lip service to choice but support to abortion alone.
Let's see.

Liberals support contraception and honest sex education, both of which reduce the need for abortions.
Conservatives oppose both contraception and honest, factual sex education, which lead to the necessity for more abortions.

Liberals are in favor of income support for impoverished families.
Conservatives are in favor of killing off welfare programs.

Liberals are in favor of Food Stamps, WIC, Medicaid, and affordable health care.
Conservatives want to reduce or eliminate them.

Liberals support funding for public education.
Conservatives are generally in favor of reducing or eliminating it, and in favor of attacking public education by diverting money to selective charter schools.

Yeah, the original post is still a lie.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
To sum up this thread, right wing pro-lifers would require you to have a baby, but would vote against any health care assistance for you or the child after it's born.

And they would vote against any kind of food or shelter or clothing assistance from the government for that child as well.

Do I have this straight now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies