Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,424,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
But you CAN demand your government to not subsidize bad decisions. When the money stops flowing, people will bear their own burdens. They'll sink or they'll swim. But the Government will not have a part in it otherwise.

Besides, there are several other safety nets for bad luck.

WIC by its very nature subsidizes the height of personal irresponsibility by having children when you can't even afford FOOD for them.

It's mind-boggling!
I could demand that but I know that will result in children not being fed. If I have choose I vote for feeding kids. Even with being on WIC some mothers STILL won't feed their kids. They may sell their wic checks for their own fix of something. I can't make anyone be responsible but I wouldn't support ending a program that benefits children who are not responsible for the situation they were born into UNLESS there was an alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Work cleaning parks, until hired by private sector. Many people on the DOLE never applied for a single job. Some can be employed in retail or other low-skilled professions. They will have to start at the bottom, as that is what their skills dictate, but many can get hired. There were subsidies in place already for hiring the disadvantaged, and directly across the street from a hotel I am presently at sits a retail store employing a few single moms formerly on welfare. the employer is reimbursed about half their gross pay. (YES< I know management there and at their hq, so I will not disclose their name.)

I have no issue with such incentives, but multi-generational on the dole needs to end.by choice or by force.
So Tina has a 2-month old baby and applies for WIC.
We're going to lease a facility where Tina's infant can be feed multiple times during the day and night so it has to be open 24 hours.
Gotta pay the utilities to keep the lights, water,etc on.
Gotta hire staff to watch, feed, change Tina's infant while Tina is working at the park...I believe there's a 4:1 ratio law in most states.
Gotta provide transportation to and from the facility for the baby and also to the park where Tina will do work until she finds a job in the private sector.
Tina, having NO skills or education, gets a job cleaning offices.
Tina gets laid off six months later because several of the offices decided they only need cleaning once a week.
Tina is right back where she started from and you have wasted your money.

My main beef with WIC is it's too easy to get and too easy to keep with little or no requirements. I'm all for helping people, but if I feed you for five years and you learn NOTHING during those five years...what's going to happen when five years is over?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,030,068 times
For every Tina, 10 will be hired, with lasting employment at least as stable as anyone else. That store I told you about-the last people they'd lay off if volume dropped would be the ex Welfare mothers who the gov't pays half the cost of.

So your example is a red herring,as your concern should be creating Tinas on the dole for life, who have not shown an ounce of work ethic for their kids to see.

A major reason why families with parents with good jobs and education end up with kids also faring well is the example they have seen through the years. The inverse is also true, sadly.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,675,970 times
Dont cry for me Argen.......tina

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
For every Tina, 10 will be hired, with lasting employment at least as stable as anyone else. That store I told you about-the last people they'd lay off if volume dropped would be the ex Welfare mothers who the gov't pays half the cost of.

So your example is a red herring,as your concern should be creating Tinas on the dole for life, who have not shown an ounce of work ethic for their kids to see.

A major reason why families with parents with good jobs and education end up with kids also faring well is the example they have seen through the years. The inverse is also true, sadly.
So if the store does lay offs they will keep Tina and lay off Sally, a full-time employee who was not on WIC or welfare so that the store can keep getting reimbursed for Tina....and that makes sense to you?

I disagree with you about ten of them finding jobs but since I have no data we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So if the store does lay offs they will keep Tina and lay off Sally, a full-time employee who was not on WIC or welfare so that the store can keep getting reimbursed for Tina....and that makes sense to you?

Sally...that Girl

Gucci Crew

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM

22,701 posts, read 24,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Hell I'm a democrat and I agree with AeroGuyDC. People shouldn't keep having kids while on WIC, foodstamps or welfare. The problem is try stopping it.
Well, stop the flow of goodies and MOST of the breeding for the purpose of getting those goodies will go away.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM

14,941 posts, read 8,254,562 times
In the end almost all of our money goes to the Military, if you look at the facts.
The Federal Pie Chart

America is the richest country in the world, and yet you want us to lose our conscience -
and let Millions of Children starve and die. But it's fine and dandy that we spend billions/trillions
on military pursuits.
There will always be poor and hungry people, your response to this
is up to the individual, but to let hungry babies and children go hungry
to me is the real definition of "personal irresponsibility".

Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
In the end almost all of our money goes to the Military, if you look at the facts.
The Federal Pie Chart

America is the richest country in the world, and yet you want us to lose our conscience -
and let Millions of Children starve and die. But it's fine and dandy that we spend billions/trillions
on military pursuits.
There will always be poor and hungry people, your response to this
is up to the individual, but to let hungry babies and children go hungry
to me is the real definition of "personal irresponsibility".

Your name is fitting

Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 PM

37,194 posts, read 42,397,544 times
Quote:
My main beef with WIC is it's too easy to get and too easy to keep with little or no requirements. I'm all for helping people, but if I feed you for five years and you learn NOTHING during those five years...what's going to happen when five years is over?
Well the kids will only be 5 years old so I don't know what they would have learned. The moms, I don't know. What do you think they should do or what do you think we should make them do? I'm not being snarky, just curious. What does a low income mother do when she has a baby to look after?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies