Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I have been an income mantenance caseworker for 5 years and I really hate to agree with some of the more conservative pollsters but there is some validity in what they say. I had a case load of over 500 women and children and few disabled men. Many of them have been on assitance all of their lives and continued with adult children and grandchildren. There have been a few who have moved off of the government's tit, but in reality it was far and few in between. Why? When I interviewed them initially to find out the root of the probelm was, it turned out that many of the single family homes have probelms with childcare cost. Apparently, the available jobs do not cover the cost of transportation and childcare and living expenses. This is nothing more then simple economics, it is cheaper to stay at home and collect change rather to work yourself into a hole. Who in their right mind wants to work to pay someone else and not have anything to show in return? If jobs paid better or the cost of transportation and childcare was somehow subsidized for a certain period of time maybe things would change and this would be a mute conversation
It would be a moot point if these ghetto minded people had some self control and dignity.

It is a constitutional question.

You WILL see me on YouTube asking my "representatives" where their constitutional powers came from for the votes they made.

It matters not if they are D's or R's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
It is very selfish to have a child knowing that you are going to be on welfare.
How do you know you're going to be on welfare? Do you consult a crystal ball, an astrologist, the star charts ... How do you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Free food means the parent does not have to spend the money on the free food so in essence it's giving the parents money by not forcing to spend it.
You clearly don't understand the concept of food assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Yeah, give your money to the money grubbing charities that pay more in administrative salaries than they actually give to the cause!!!
What about the money grubbing, tax-bloated public social service organizations who pay more to their lazy directors and social workers who sit in offices all day and take three-hour lunches instead of going into the community to help the people they're supposed to help?

Your stereotype is as good as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Humans have ALWAYS had kids they couldn't afford...even BEFORE government assistance so I don't think humans have kids they can't afford because of government assistance.
Good point.

Maybe we should wipe ourselves off the planet.

Oh, wait ... We're already doing a pretty good job of that.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Yes, please forgive us. Those of us pulling our own weight have a problem keeping tract of which leeching freebee handout we are talking about.
I swear to God.....as I started reading this, a TV commercial came on about your "right" to have free broadband!

Free medical, free housing, free food, free transportation, etc. and now free cell phones and free internet access!

Where in the constitution is this legal?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And how are you going to decide who can afford to have children? Criteria please.

I think CD's policy about rep is just fine. There are a lot of good posts. We don't need any "repping clubs".
Here's a unique thought.

Run it through the constitution.

See what comes out the other end.

Nothing.

Zilch.

Zero.

By ending the flow of checks, people will have to become industrious.

In two generations the problem will be resolved.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And this is supposed to be a lifelong thing, with no allowances for unemployment, etc? My husband was laid off when our kids were ages 4 and 9 months. Should we not have had our kids, "knowing" as we did he was going to get laid off then? Were we supposed to consult Nancy Reagan's astrologist, or what?
The federal government doesn't have the authority to rescue you or anyone else.

Call 0b0mba....he's a pushover!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
too much clutter to read through a lot of the drivel on this thread...however what about the people who COULD afford to have kids BEFORE they lost their jobs, homes, etc.? I wish the world was as black and white as conservatives make it out to be...
It is black and white.

It's called the constitution.

Read it sometime.

Read the federalist papers.

Read the original writings of the founders.

Government is not empowered to rescue people.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, really? And what did "she" think about that?

And Big Whoop for you, BTW.
You mock him, but praise the recipient class.

What used to be seen as responsible behavior is now seen as stupid.

What used to be seen as shameful is now considered the norm.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My point is that it seems like a strech to castigate me for being an advocate of personal responsibility and advocating for family planning when your side of the aisle does everything in your power to ensure that those rocket scientists, world leaders, etc. are indeed thrown in the dumpster via abortion.

Personal responsiblity.....or abortion. I know which side of the debate makes more sense to me.
The RW has made a mockery of the term "personal responsibility".

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You mock him, but praise the recipient class.

What used to be seen as responsible behavior is now seen as stupid.

What used to be seen as shameful is now considered the norm.
I don't think I've uttered one word of praise for "the recipient class" as you call it, in this entire thread.

I hate to see people bragging about what they're doing, as if it's the "Holy Grail". Not every couple has a large enough income to save 100% of the spouse's income. Everyone's situation is different.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
It's fun to see the simple minded tell everyone how simple the solutions to all the countries problems are. Cute.
When I hear "simple" I know it's anything but.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Exactly! "Simple, elegant and absolutely wrong".

J. Wagoner

Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Philosophy/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies