Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's real simple. Fraudulent voting is extremely rare. Voter suppression, in the form of increased ID requirements, would effect Democratic voters more so than GOP voters. This is the real reason why the laws were being sponsored by sleazy GOP operators. This is from the Judges's ruling in Wisconsin striking down their more stringent voter ID requirements.

Affidavits have been submitted by amici curiae Wisconsin Democracy Campaign and Dane County demonstrating the very real disenfranchising effects of Act 23’s photo ID requirements. They show that many constitutionally qualified electors from all walks of life will be blocked from voting at the polls by Act 23, involuntarily and occasionally through no fault of their own. Governor Walker and the GAB correctly observe that this court may not rely on this evidence in deciding plaintiffs’ purely facial challenge to Act 23’s constitutionality. Indeed, it is not necessary to consider the human cost of photo ID requirements in order to expose their constitutional deficiencies. As seen above, they are unconstitutional on their face.

Just as an example. Wisconsin may have had ZERO cases of even alleged voter fraud.... But citizens could provide real concrete examples of where eligible voters where denied the right to vote because of ID requirements. Case in point, a blind, 90 year old women is totally unaware of the new guidelines and is turned away at the polling station because she doesn't have proper ID.
"Fraudulent voting is extremely rare."

I have heard many a dem politician say, "if it saves just 1 life it is worth it", when trying to get a new piece of legislation passed.

So I say, If voter ID stops just 1 person from registering or voting fraudulently, it is worth it.

Your example doesn't hold any water with me.

Let's try this example. A new law is passed saying you cant use a cell phone while driving. You get stopped by a police officer. You tell him , "I wasn't aware of the new law.

You will be told, by the police officer AND the judge, "Ignorance of law is no excuse".

I am confident that the new voter ID law was well covered by the local newspapers, TV and radio.

If the woman you cite didn't utilize any of those media outlets, how did she know who was running and what they stood for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, if you're 50, you don't need an ID. Only if you look questionably young you need an ID to buy alcohol. Thus, senior citizens who don't have ID have no trouble buying wine. Voting, not so easy.

The fact is that ID laws for voting addresses a problem that's not a problem; there aren't any significant numbers of people trying to vote who aren't eligible. Yet, the GOP wants to stop millions of voters who have no IDs from voting to address a phantom problem.
You may NOT be aware the false registration is also considered voter fraud.

So say, someone obtains a non pictured voter card illegally and THEN goes to vote. What is going to stop them from voting?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, if you're 50, you don't need an ID. Only if you look questionably young you need an ID to buy alcohol. Thus, senior citizens who don't have ID have no trouble buying wine. Voting, not so easy.

The fact is that ID laws for voting addresses a problem that's not a problem; there aren't any significant numbers of people trying to vote who aren't eligible. Yet, the GOP wants to stop millions of voters who have no IDs from voting to address a phantom problem.

Depends on the state. When I was a bartender yrs ago I kicked many a bums out simply by carding them.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
without requiring an ID, it's actually really, really easy to simply say you are someone else, and vote in their place, even if they are dead.

Exclusive: O'Keefe Video Exposes Voter Fraud-Friendly Policies in Vermont
Wow, and that is how easy it is, who knew?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
In my state when you register to vote you provide a signature sample and that signature is compared to your ballot. There is no need for further identification!!!

And since when are state agencies going to visit assisted living residences, making house-calls on the frail and infirm to issue necessary identification to vote? You want to send out taxis for the handicapped to transport them to DMV to get IDs, for free? A wonderful expenditure of taxes from fiscally frugal Republicans!
How are they going to get into those assisted living facilities?

When we moved my father into one, a picture ID was required.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:34 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
How are these people who can't "afford" to get a simple photo id, or supposedly are too far to get one (doesnt have to be drivers license, but a state id card would suffice) cash checks, unemployment, get lottery tickets, cough syrup, prescriptions filled, etc.??

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Som why does everyone assume those without an ID are dems?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
How are these people who can't "afford" to get a simple photo id, or supposedly are too far to get one (doesnt have to be drivers license, but a state id card would suffice) cash checks, unemployment, get lottery tickets, cough syrup, prescriptions filled, etc.??
If you have been banking at the same bank for decades, the staff generally recongnizes you and does not ask for ID; who says these people are on UI?; I don't buy lottery tickets, didn't know you needed ID for them (?); cough syrup, are you kidding?; prescriptions filled? I just picked one up today; "verify your address" the clerk said to me, took my credit card. Do you use a lot of controlled substances or something?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM

141 posts, read 98,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Som why does everyone assume those without an ID are dems?
Prolly cause they're the ones bitching about it the most.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you have been banking at the same bank for decades, the staff generally recongnizes you and does not ask for ID; who says these people are on UI?; I don't buy lottery tickets, didn't know you needed ID for them (?); cough syrup, are you kidding?; prescriptions filled? I just picked one up today; "verify your address" the clerk said to me, took my credit card. Do you use a lot of controlled substances or something?
No, but I move every 2-3yrs (military) and EVERY state I have been in has so many places that I must show my ID card at. CVS for cough medicine, doctors office, dentist office, library to get new library card, bank when I want to deposit and cash check (even same small town- 5 employee 200 townfolks town I lived in for 6yrs!) Lets see, buying video games, lottery tickets, using credit card.. I have to pull out my ID at least once a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies