Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
One with all of the fundamentals of proper sentence structure.

Which part was confusing?

Yes. I am alive.
Basement thriving does not count as having a life!

You ever get out of it (basement) long enough to 'need' ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Basement thriving does not count as having a life!

You ever get out of it (basement) long enough to 'need' ID?
What about the tens of thousands of people who live in Nursing homes or Assisted Living?
They don't get out. Don't need ID's. Many probably HAD ID's, but likely no longer have picture ID's. Are they not entitled to vote?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
It's very simple. Voter ID laws fix a problem that's not a problem and create a problem that's worse -- at least, if fair elections are the objective.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but I am pretty liberal and I think voter I.D. is important for this reason:

If someone can't even be bothered to carry legitimate state I.D. then not requiring it just seems like a reinforcement of this kind of attitude. Being part of a modern functional society means playing by the rules, O.K.? This so-called learned helplessness doesn't do anyone any good, and it certainly won't make you feel like you are part of something important, like a functional democracy.
Exactly! And the argument that tries to say that people of a minority status will not be able to get an ID, then what about states like Hawaii, where whites are the minority? Is the argument, that melanin content is the over riding factor for the inability to get an ID? It's insulting to me or anyone, to say our skin color or race prevents us from being able to do anything we set our mind to. If I can't get an ID due to my skin color, i may as well hang it up, and quit.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What about the tens of thousands of people who live in Nursing homes or Assisted Living?
They don't get out. Don't need ID's. Many probably HAD ID's, but likely no longer have picture ID's. Are they not entitled to vote?
No..it's the poor that can't travel 180 miles to get that ID, not the seniors.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SOrry, Not clear to me what you're saying?
Do you mean the seniors that cannot get ID's do NOT have a right to vote?
Or are you saying the ID is hard on the poor in areas where they would have to travel 180 miles, and thus it would restrain the poor from voting? If that's the case, why doesn't this apply to seniors as well?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Isn't Texas one of the states that provide assistance to obtain the photo ID?

I kinda think your local Walgreens, CVS, or travel agency will take your photo for you and then a local official like the doctor that visits the senior housing unit or the local sheriff's deputy, bailiff, county clerk whatever, can sign the thing and maybe mail it in with the rest of the bumph like address and b'date etc to get your spanking new photo ID in the mail a couple weeks later or am I wrong here?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
If they literally cannot ever leave the facility, they can always use absentee ballots if someone can witness they are indeed who they are. However, most states (for sure SC) is accounting for those who cannot travel on their own and are offering transportation to the DMV to obtain the ID. In addition, if you cannot afford the ID, one will be provided for you free of cost.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Isn't Texas one of the states that provide assistance to obtain the photo ID?

I kinda think your local Walgreens, CVS, or travel agency will take your photo for you and then a local official like the doctor that visits the senior housing unit or the local sheriff's deputy, bailiff, county clerk whatever, can sign the thing and maybe mail it in with the rest of the bumph like address and b'date etc to get your spanking new photo ID in the mail a couple weeks later or am I wrong here?

Can a Dr who visits the nursing home find the time to validate photos or sign applications or whatever? I've worked in a nursing home, and I can tell you that the Dr's don't have enough time to see all the patients that need them, let alone to add paperwork related to an ID to their workload.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
If they literally cannot ever leave the facility, they can always use absentee ballots if someone can witness they are indeed who they are. However, most states (for sure SC) is accounting for those who cannot travel on their own and are offering transportation to the DMV to obtain the ID. In addition, if you cannot afford the ID, one will be provided for you free of cost.

IF they are doing all these things & making the proper accomodations, then I am less incined to find disfavor with such a requirement.
HOWEVER, I am also a firm believer in "If It AInt Broke, Don't Fix It," and I doubt the people living in nursing homes are very involved in any widespread voter fraud.

Any fraud that is out there (I cut my teeth in Philly Politics) is really related to FAKE ID's. SInce fake ID's are so easy to obtain, how will such a requirement prevent voter fraud? It won't. It will only make it more difficult for the poor, mainly the working poor, and the elderly, to cast a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies