Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,154,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you really too lazy to do a 10 second google search?

http://www.gop.com/2008Platform/HealthCare.htm (broken link)

It's all the same stuff. The same stuff that you democrats poo-poo'd stupidly.
That's interesting thanks. So what have the Republicans done to advance any of those tenants... For example let's take this one:

Quote:
Individuals with pre-existing conditions must be protected; we will help these individuals by building on the experiences of innovative states rather than by creating a new unmanageable federal entitlement. We strongly urge that managed care organizations use the practice patterns and medical treatment guidelines from the state in which the patient lives when making medical coverage decisions.
Or this one:

Quote:
Patients deserve access to health care providers they trust who will personalize and coordinate their care to ensure they receive the right treatment with the right health care provider at the right time. Providers should be paid for keeping people well, not for the number of tests they run or procedures they perform. The current cookie-cutter system of reimbursement needs restructuring from the view of the patient, not the accountant or Washington bureaucrat.
It's good to see a platform (which is not a plan, by the way), but we need a plan to hold down health care costs, so health care is available to all Americans. So again I ask: where is the plan? (I will emphasize-- a platform is not a plan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,502,845 times
Quote:
Endowed by whom?
Obama. He granted them the right to a "free" hospital next to each of their homes at the expense of their fairy god mother.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your attempt at humor is duly noted.

Show us the math. Show us that Medicare and Medicaide has brought down the cost of healthcare and made it more affordable since that's the basis for your argument that nationalizing healthcare will make it free and affordable?

In fact, show us another country of the same size that's done that, nationalize healthcare, and brought the cost down? Waiting...
You must have me confused with someone else. My goal is not to bring down the coast of healthcare. I want to deliver healthcare in the most efficient way possible to make it accessible to ALL Americans regardless of economic status, previous health history or place of employment.

To do it efficiently, the cost of healthcare practice must be brought down. For example, the $18 Tylenol in the hospital. The $400 8 minute doctor's visit.

If overall costs edges up, and we cover everybody, I'm okay with that.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Endowed by whom?
I'm not sure it has to be endowed by anybody, document or being.

The fact that everyone should get health care is prescribed by basic human decency. In a society were all persons are seen as equal, the rich have no more right to health care than the poor do.

I think treating the sick and injured is the HUMAN thing to do.

If your require it to be endowed by somebody, I guess you can look to the Judeo/Christian religious traditions of treating the injured and sick, and believe that it is endowed by God.

Personally I could care less who "endowed" the right. I care only about the delivery of health care to all.

Why don't you?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,769,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So what do we do instead? If we're being intellectually honest (come on-- you can do it!), the cost of Healthcare Reform is driven by the cost of health care itself.

So if we were truly concerned about cost, should we not be focusing on that? (I guess if you focus on cost of health care you can't use it as a proxy to bash Obama-- no fun there... right?)
You missed the point altogether. Nobody argues against a need to reform. The part that is saddening is that he lied and covered up the cost, bought votes in which those same actions would put you and I in jail. The really sad part is that this moron engages in the same deceitful behavior that brought on the great revision and the moonbats still swallow his BS hook line and sinker because he takes from others to give to them.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,973 times
As I said in the other thread. Healthcare costs have been skyrocketing for decades. Obamacare or no Obamacare the cost of healthcare in this country will continue to skyrocket. This only proves that a form of universal healthcare is more needed than ever as health care services are increasingly out of reach to the unemployed or lower middle classes.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,502,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
As I said in the other thread. Healthcare costs have been skyrocketing for decades. Obamacare or no Obamacare the cost of healthcare in this country will continue to skyrocket. This only proves that a form of universal healthcare is more needed than ever as health care services are increasingly out of reach to the unemployed or lower middle classes.
What example do you have that UHC is going to lower cost or make things more affordable?

Medicare? Medicaid? Another country equal in size that has implemented UHC and made it successful?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,418,141 times
Quote:
So what do we do instead? If we're being intellectually honest (come on-- you can do it!), the cost of Healthcare Reform is driven by the cost of health care itself.

So if we were truly concerned about cost, should we not be focusing on that? (I guess if you focus on cost of health care you can't use it as a proxy to bash Obama-- no fun there... right?)
Oh, I think we can bash Obama/Pelosi/Reid for gutting the one proven real-world health care cost reducer: high deductible health insurance. And no, it isn't fun, it is inconceivably sad that politicians have criminalized a citizen's choice of how to pay for routine, recurring, known expenses.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,862,984 times
Quote:
Personally I could care less who "endowed" the right. I care only about the delivery of health care to all.

Why don't you?
Delivered by whom?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,501,808 times
Quote:
You must have me confused with someone else. My goal is not to bring down the coast of healthcare. I want to deliver healthcare in the most efficient way possible to make it accessible to ALL Americans regardless of economic status, previous health history or place of employment.

To do it efficiently, the cost of healthcare practice must be brought down. For example, the $18 Tylenol in the hospital. The $400 8 minute doctor's visit.

If overall costs edges up, and we cover everybody, I'm okay with that.
The only way to drive down health care costs is by outsourcing healthcare like everything else. Have your hip replacement done in India or China for 10% of what hospitals charge here. The insurers would save so much they might throw in a "free vacation" in the country too, as a bonus! Compared to what US hospitals charge, the airfare, even at a couple of grand, would be cheap. No more million dollar-a-year physicians. Hospitals would have to become like Walmart to compete with overseas costs. Columbia Presbyterian , home of the $199.95 Colonoscopy! Who needs ObamyCare when you can have SwamiCare with a 90% cost reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies