Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It's about rampant hypocracy and lunacy of the left, that continue to make all women look like bumbling idiots that have to depend on big gov't to take care of them. The progressives are using women as just another special interest group to further divide us.
What was really going on while everybody wastes time talking about Flukes whining and Snookies pregnancy? Politics have merged with Hollywood, oh the drama! This is all a staged soap opera.

The Hypocrisy of Obama & The Left When Insulting Conservative Women - YouTube

I am responding to Cinebar, but I'm not sure how we got here. I agreed with Rush on the Eagle, and Cinebar redirected the converstation to women's victimization. oh well
Hollywood and politics in bed together?
Say it aint so!
You're a few decades late on that observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hollywood and politics in bed together?
Say it aint so!
You're a few decades late on that observation.
See there, even kshe and I can agree on something! Although she'd probably be reluctant to admit Hollywood is left wing, pay-to-play.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 PM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
No I don`t take it as an unbiased source but you can`t deny that there are offsetting job gains in the tourism sector. The job losses were minor when compared to the heavy hit that we took here in western Pa. when the steel industry took some heavy hits in the 80`s. We survived rather well.
There were no tourism gains associated with the spotted owl designation, or with the closing of the forests to logging. I am unaware of any crush of birdwatchers coming into the region trying to catch a peak at the little birdies. BTW, even with destroying the industry, the spotted owl numbers have continued to fall. Seems there is another owl that is actually displacing them.

The number of job losses is hard to quantify, but the figure I see tossed about on a couple web sites is 30,000. Hardly a trivial number, especially when you're dealing with rural communities.

In actuallity, it's been the other way with regard to tourism, at least in my area. Motorized recreation and camping were/are coming on pretty strong...except that access is being reduced and eliminated in many areas. Was all of that due to the owl? No. But it was part of the start of the process. With logging shut down, there is no need for roads. Without roads, there is no access to dispersed camping spots. In addition, the near elimination of logging took away the main funding source for the Forest Service. W/O $$, the campgrounds, roads and trails don't get maintained.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
See there, even kshe and I can agree on something! Although she'd probably be reluctant to admit Hollywood is left wing, pay-to-play.
These celebs would beg to differ, this is just a few;
Celebrity 2012 GOP Endorsements: List of Stars Supporting Republicans
Honestly, who really cares?
-shrugs-

Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real irony here...

We shut down logging on millions of acres of national forest over the "endangered" spotted owl. We put thousands out of work and destroy the economy of many small, rural communities. All because logging might, just might, effect the little bird. We destroy the lifelyhood of a great many people, both loggers, truck drivers, lumber mills, plus all the businesses that support them, all because of one bird no one ever heard about. In many of these communities, this is a tradition and lifestyle that goes back over a century.

Yet if an Indian tribe wants to go kill a threatened species over a religious superstition, that's just fine.

Why are the the religious traditions of Indians so much more important than the livelyhood, lifestyle and traditions of those that made their living through logging?
I remember that VERY well and how **** ed off the towns out there were...it was taking the food out of their kid's mouth.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM

^Nice thread hijack.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
To hell with the religious freedom of the Arapahoe, right?
To hell with nature and American symbolism eh? If this was a Republican doing this, you'd be screeching like a banchi.

There is a real attack on religious liberty in this country, but killing eagles isn't one of them. Why must liberals be such hypocrites? Do you really care about the environment and animals, or are they just a tool for your political cause?

California's attempts to switch to green energy have inadvertently put the survival of the state’s golden eagles at risk.
Scores of the protected birds have been dying each year after colliding with the blades of about 5,000 wind turbines.
Now the drive for renewable power sources, such as wind and the sun, being promoted by President Obama and state Governor Jerry Brown has raised fears that the number of newborn golden eagles may not be able to keep pace with the number of turbine fatalities.

Read more: The green killer: Scores of protected golden eagles dying after colliding with wind turbines | Mail Online

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
To hell with nature and American symbolism eh? If this was a Republican doing this, you'd be screeching like a banchi.

There is a real attack on religious liberty in this country, but killing eagles isn't one of them. Why must liberals be such hypocrites? Do you really care about the environment and animals, or are they just a tool for your political cause?

California's attempts to switch to green energy have inadvertently put the survival of the state’s golden eagles at risk.
Scores of the protected birds have been dying each year after colliding with the blades of about 5,000 wind turbines.
Now the drive for renewable power sources, such as wind and the sun, being promoted by President Obama and state Governor Jerry Brown has raised fears that the number of newborn golden eagles may not be able to keep pace with the number of turbine fatalities.

Read more: The green killer: Scores of protected golden eagles dying after colliding with wind turbines | Mail Online
1) Its banshee, not banchi.
2) If it were a Republican doing this, I would feel exactly the same way.
3) WTH does the rest of your post have to do with anything, besides attempting a cheap shot at me?
4) Who do you think you are to tell anyone how they may, or may not, practice their religion?
After all, the NAs were here before we were.
How arrogant.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
1) Its banshee, not banchi.
2) If it were a Republican doing this, I would feel exactly the same way.
3) WTH does the rest of your post have to do with anything, besides attempting a cheap shot at me?
4) Who do you think you are to tell anyone how they may, or may not, practice their religion?
After all, the NAs were here before we were.
How arrogant.
Agreed. You'd think after all the murder, rape and disease we gave the Native Americans, we could scrounge up two eagles a year for 'em. Seems a small price to pay.

It's pretty obvious who read the links, too. The lawsuit was in reaction to a trial of a guy who SHOT THE **** BIRD anyway, when it wasn't legal. The part about the government offering them rotten carcasses was off the hook. Imagine if you had to go to a government repository to get a moldy, torn Bible. You could make your own Bible, but that would be against the law.

Of course a Bible isn't a bird. We should respect our feathered friends. I respected one last night in a Dutch oven, with some carrots, corn and celery on the sides. I reverently placed its juices in a 2 qt. pot with solemn diginity and slowly mixed them with a nice white roux. Once placed on the biscuits and served to my loving family, it received much admiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies