Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,841,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist Liberal View Post
Oh great. Now all of the non-white minorities and old people will be barred from voting and Republicans will take over Pennyslvania and turn into a theocracy. All of these voter ID laws benefit Republicans. If you really think this is a good thing you need to get your head checked.
I think that I have come up with the perfect solution for those (liberals and lefties) that don't want to get or cannot afford an ID card.

How about we let you go down to the local precinct in your district and pick up a free copy of your rap sheet.

This will carry all pertinent information such as photo, proof of address and anything else that may or may not be required by your local election board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It doesn't matter. The DOJ will bar it from going into effect until long after the election.

Republians and conservatives, riddle me this. Potential for fraud, as you are reasoning has existed for years (heck, decades). Why are you so concerned about this issue now as opposed to, say, when Bush was in office?
Oh...you're not keeping up with the "news". SCOTUS has RULED voter ID laws are constitutional. Obama's doj can try and stop it, but they will be rejected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/wa...scotus.html?hp

Section V of the Voting Rights Act just might be nullified when the Tex and SC lawsuit hits SCOTUS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/us...pagewanted=all

Quote:
The constitutionality of Section 5 itself was not at issue in the case, but the opinion said its “intrusion on state sovereignty” raises “serious constitutional questions,” quoting in part from a 2009 decision.

In his concurrence, Justice Thomas went further, repeating his view that “Section 5 is unconstitutional.”
I'm thinking after 50+ years, that section of the VRA will be revisited..soon.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM

254 posts, read 202,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A bit over the top, wouldn't you say?
Yeah because standing up for everyone's right to vote is over the top now?

Quote:
You mean people of color and old people don't have IDs?
I'm saying that minorities and old people are lot less likely to be able to afford or obtain ID crap.

Quote:
You know, YOU and obama are on the wrong side of this issue.
How is supporting everyone's right to vote on the wrong side of something? You are the ones pushing the new Jim Crow laws.

Quote:
The people overwhelmingly approve of voter id laws.
Also that's a cool source you got there.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No, they won't. Voter ID laws have been ruled constitutional by the US Supreme Court. Crawford v. Marion County Election Board.

The DOJ used the Voting Rights Act, which PA is not subject to, to stop the TX law from going into effect.
PA is not subject to preclearance. They are, however, subject to the Voting Rights Act.

As for the DOJ not being able to step in, you are probably right. Someone will, and it will become a non-factor to this election.

What I don't understand is why not work with the DMV to use on file photos to create voter I.D. cards instead?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 PM

254 posts, read 202,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
How about we let you go down to the local precinct in your district and pick up a free copy
I thought you conservatives where against free hand outs.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,483,758 times
Quote:
Yeah because standing up for everyone's right to vote is over the top now?
Anyone who wants an ID can get one. I don't see how anyone who could figure out how to vote couldn't figure out how to get an ID.

Quote:
I'm saying that minorities and old people are lot less likely to be able to afford or obtain ID crap.
ID cards for non-drivers are usually available for free in the states with voter ID laws (this is required for them to be constitutional).

Quote:
How is supporting everyone's right to vote on the wrong side of something? You are the ones pushing the new Jim Crow laws.
You are supporting a situation (not having voter ID laws) that makes it possible for people to vote multiple times or for people who are ineligible to vote to be able to.

The comparison to Jim Crow laws is absurd, laughable, and pathetic.

Quote:
Also that's a cool source you got there.
RealClearPolitics - Why Americans Support Voter ID Laws

Quote:
Most Americans don't think it's a hardship to ask voters to produce one. A Rasmussen poll in June indicated 75 percent of respondents support photo ID requirements. Huge majorities of Hispanics support voter ID laws, according to a Resurgent Republic poll in September.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,483,758 times
Quote:
PA is not subject to preclearance. They are, however, subject to the Voting Rights Act.
That's what I meant. I should have been clearer.

Quote:
As for the DOJ not being able to step in, you are probably right. Someone will, and it will become a non-factor to this election.
Who will? Unless they can make a state constitutional argument in a state court, they will likely be unsuccessful.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why not work with the DMV to use on file photos to create voter I.D. cards instead?
How would that be any different?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Why don't you 'basement kitty's' go away now?

You keep using the same old .. Everyone's Right to vote mantra when it has been shown to you that It's a False premise!

It is NOT everyone's Right to vote!

It is ONLY your Right IF the STATE says that it is and That means .. Meeting any and ALL requirements that the State requests!

BTW: It was YOUR LIBERAL PRESIDENT .. JIMMY CARTER who FIRST said that everyone should have a photo ID when they come to the polls!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Oh great. Now all of the non-white minorities and old people will be barred from voting and Republicans will take over Pennyslvania and turn into a theocracy. All of these voter ID laws benefit Republicans. If you really think this is a good thing you need to get your head checked.
Should we expect more from them? They are brazenly proliferating the non issue of voter fraud when it is actually election fraud that they themselves are gulity of. What slime, but people are hip to their tactics.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Should we expect more from them? They are brazenly proliferating the non issue of voter fraud when it is actually election fraud that they themselves are gulity of. What slime, but people are hip to their tactics.
What district do you live in?

Maybe you can call ahead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies