Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,340,182 times

Advertisements

I think someone was absent from school on the day they covered the definition of "Free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,643,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I think someone was absent from school on the day they covered the definition of "Free".
That's correct. Nothing in life is free.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,312,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
People without kids pay housing taxes so my kids can go to school. Apartments RULE... wOOOOOOoooooo!!!!
Yep, even Apartment dwellers pay property taxes, it's built into their rent.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,643,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..they didn't count my sister in law, the hypochondriac
She's going for all the "free" preventative tests as they become available.
As is my dd's friend's mother. I believe she, alone, can break the bank on this!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My health insurance went up 20% last year and another 20% this year.

So instead of paying that $15 copay when I go to the doctor (once or twice a year) I'm paying near $50 more per month for 12 months ($600) so I don't have to pay $30 for 2 doctor visits ? And this is good news ? I'm supposed to be happy ?

All these other posters come on here telling us their premiums got lowered.
Mine didn't and are going up more than the 10% they used to before Obamacare got passed.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,340,182 times
Quote:
My health insurance went up 20% last year and another 20% this year.

So instead of paying that $15 copay when I go to the doctor (once or twice a year) I'm paying near $50 more per month for 12 months ($600) so I don't have to pay $30 for 2 doctor visits ? And this is good news ? I'm supposed to be happy ?

All these other posters come on here telling us their premiums got lowered.
Mine didn't and are going up more than the 10% they used to before Obamacare got passed.
I think the people who are claiming that their premiums went down are either lying or being disingenuous in that they now have a higher deductible plan with bigger co-pays and less coverage.

My premiums went up 14% AND I have less coverage than the previous year. Open enrollment is next month. I can't wait to see how much my premiums will go up this go around.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,895,766 times
What? Somebody said their premiums went down? I want to know who this liar is...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,423,729 times
Quote:
You mean you can't afford the $15 or so co-pay and will only go if it's "free" ?
I think you must be a man, since the process of getting a mammogram requires at least 3-4 separate charges. Not a $15 co-pay.

I was actually giving a general example that is relevant to a general "woman".

But speaking for me, I am happy to pay a co-pay of $15, and I think co-pays are actually really important in health care because they do make people "think" a little bit, before they make their doctor appointments and use more medical care.

But since you asked, it did used to cost me a lot more then $15. Because I have to purchase my own health insurance and it is very expensive, I have a high deductible plan. So that means my preventative doctor's pre-mammogram appointment to get the order/mammogram/radiologist read/follow-up appointments were paid by me -out of pocket. I think it was at least $400 last year for all the visits associated with the mammogram alone. So even though I have no medical problems and am completely healthy, and I paid a lot of $$$ every month for my health insurance ..... I still paid for all of the little health care I did use myself. Now at least my health insurance company will pay for the little preventative medical care I do use. That's nice. Thanks Obama! Thanks for giving me some of my OWN money back, that I paid to the insurance company.

So it is nice to get something back for the amount of $$ the young/healthy people put into the med insurance system. Because I am the classic person that the Obama plan wants to require to buy insurance. Because I am healthy, and they make a profit on me. Yet we must have people like me in the system for health insurance to work. At least with preventative care coverage, I feel like I get something back to me directly for what I'm putting in. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that cost can be a disincentive to get an important preventative test .... $400 is a lot of money to me. Especially when I am being responsible about buying health insurance on my own, and this is hard for me to afford. But I know how absolutely dangerous it is to go without health insurance. Ever since my father was hit by a speeding taxi cab and paralyzed, I know that there is nothing as important as health insurance.

And I also know that ANY of us could be hit by a taxi tomorrow. That includes you. That includes your healthy 22 year old son or daughter who maybe rides motorcycles, or likes to party, or is going through that creative period where they want to be an (barely employed...) rock star/writer/actor.......... and doesn't want to waste any money on a silly thing like health insurance, so doesn't buy it...... but lucky you! Now your irresponsible son who thinks he is indestructible can be covered on your policy until he is 27.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 03-23-2012 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,683,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Free my ass! Since when do doctors work for free?!

Barack Obama thinks we're stupid!

Medicare costs money! Private insurance costs money! Who do you folks think are paying/will pay for these "freebies"?!
I meant free to me. I still pay 100.00 a month for medicare premiums. I get 80/20 medicare coverage. I'm retired on fixed income and every penny counts. When you add up the going cost of a complete physical, blood work, EKG and other testing it is quite a bill. Even 20% of that is a hefty sum. When you consider what much of taxpayer's money goes to pay for, paying for preventitive care is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Since we're on the subject, I'll bet you naysayers would also like to deny health care the taxpayer provides for our service members through the Veteran's Administration.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,585,720 times
Quote:
LOL..they didn't count my sister in law, the hypochondriac
She's going for all the "free" preventative tests as they become available.
She's probably on 20 drugs to "keep her healthy". Then there's the megadoses of radiation from all those mammagrams. She'll be lucky if she doesn't contract some infection just from being in the building. They consider vaccines preventive, but they are just a money makers for Big Pharma.
When they control your health, they control your life and everything you do.
When the gov't is in charge, they will use force to make us comply. Nobody wants to be forced to do anything against their will. That is why we must reject gov't mandated healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies