Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,419,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I said gov't run healthcare, you are confusing gov't run with private insurance. This all started because about 18 million were without insurance. Some of those chose to be without, some couldn't afford it. There are other ways of providing basic care to those most in need, catastrophic care. Taking everyone's choices away is never the solution. We need more choices, which means less gov't intrusion.

I completely agree that we need more choices. What is most desperately needed are choices for the people who are denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. This is just as important as catastrophic care.

There is no incentive for private insurance companies..... which what the majority of us use.... to offer coverage for pre-existing conditions in a way that is affordable. Therefore, in situations like this, I feel that it is important that there is some government intervention to either provide an option or to direct states or private companies to provide an option.

Health care is a system that can't simply rely upon capitalist market forces to "work it out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I was able to GET affordable health insurance after this law passed. After getting turned down by one of three health insurance companies in my state because of mild hypertension (controllable with $5 worth of pills a month) my only options were to go into the high risk pool and pay approx $1400 month.

The opponents of this bill are generally people who are sucking on the corporate teat of free or low cost health insurance who have no idea what it is like if you have to fend for yourself as a small business owner / self employed.

It is true that many people (and their families) who work for large companies that cover the majority of their health care do not understand what it is like for the remainder of people who have to purchase health insurance themselves. And also, many young people who are healthy and do not have medical problems cannot relate to those who do.

There aren't "big business" jobs for everyone. And even "big business" doesn't want to pay for health care anymore, and they are increasing the premiums that they require their employees to pay, increasing co-pays, and decreasing coverage.

I admit myself that since I do not have any significant medical problem, that I did not understand the craziness of our health situation until my previously very health parents each had a tragedy happen to them.

And my parents were people who worked hard the entire lives, saved every penny, paid every penny in taxes they ever owed, and each continued to work after age 65 rather then relax into retirement. Even though they did everything "right".... and didn't smoke or drink or abuse their health..... eventually their luck went the other way. Then I learned how health care works, who insurance companies care about, the flaws of Medicare, and the dire state we are in.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 03-24-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..they didn't count my sister in law, the hypochondriac
She's going for all the "free" preventative tests as they become available.
I'm frankly tired of hearing about your sister-in-law.

Quote:
You mean you can't afford the $15 or so co-pay and will only go if it's "free" ?
This has already been addressed, but I'll repeat-if you go to the dr. for an annual physical under the present system, the whole visit and all tests might fall under your deductible, especially if you're stupid enough to buy one of these high deductible plans; it might cost you a co-pay for the visit, and further co-pays for each test, e.g. mammogram, labs, bone density, pap, etc.

Quote:
She's probably on 20 drugs to "keep her healthy". Then there's the megadoses of radiation from all those mammagrams. She'll be lucky if she doesn't contract some infection just from being in the building. They consider vaccines preventive, but they are just a money makers for Big Pharma.
When they control your health, they control your life and everything you do.
When the gov't is in charge, they will use force to make us comply. Nobody wants to be forced to do anything against their will. That is why we must reject gov't mandated healthcare.
You better stay away from the London Olympics.

U.S. travelers to Olympics may bring home measles, CDC warns | 9news.com

Quote:
sfcambridge, you might want to start taking responsibility for your own health, rather than depending on your gov't run preventative programs. The gov't doesn't care about you, it's a beast that feeds off of us.

The National Cancer Institute states that among women under 35, mammography could cause 75 cases of breast cancer for every 15 it identifies.
Mammograms Cause Cancer » » DrAxe.comDrAxe.com
More unsubstantiated crap from a huckster quack.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm frankly tired of hearing about your sister-in-law.
Well then put me on ignore. I was not replying to any of your posts was I ?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
sfcambridge, you might want to start taking responsibility for your own health, rather than depending on your gov't run preventative programs. The gov't doesn't care about you, it's a beast that feeds off of us.

The National Cancer Institute states that among women under 35, mammography could cause 75 cases of breast cancer for every 15 it identifies.
Mammograms Cause Cancer » » DrAxe.comDrAxe.com

Let's not fixate on a mammogram example I gave to give an example of a typical preventative test that women get.

I am not under 35. But thanks for the compliment!

I also do not get my health care recommendations from random internet blogs. I see doctors from major medical centers, read the results of randomized clinical placebo controlled trials, and together with my family history in mind and my lifestyle decide on the best preventative care for me.

I do not smoke. I do not drink. I do not take recreational drugs. I exercise. I take care of myself, and paid for my preventative care out of pocket when necessary.

But of course, if your belief is that the government is there just to use and abuse the people and that the large corporations will come and take care of us if we just go to them and work hard, I'm afraid I've gotta let you in on a secret.....

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I'm not tired of hearing about her. Your example was useful. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I completely agree that we need more choices. What is most desperately needed are choices for the people who are denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. This is just as important as catastrophic care.

There is no incentive for private insurance companies..... which what the majority of us use.... to offer coverage for pre-existing conditions in a way that is affordable. Therefore, in situations like this, I feel that it is important that there is some government intervention to either provide an option or to direct states or private companies to provide an option.

Health care is a system that can't simply rely upon capitalist market forces to "work it out".
You are 100% right.
Private health insurance should be a system that runs alongside a National Health System and NOT the "only game in town".
It should be that if anyone wants a private health insurance plan..... they can go get one... no one will stop them.
A UHC is cheaper per capita than the current system and covers everyone.
Private health cover premiums will also come down significantly because the big insurance companies will actually, for once, have to compete with another system.
The price of drugs will also come down.
At the moment we must either pay through the nose or not be covered....fact!
We vote in a Govt. for the well being of the whole nation... NOT for the benefit of the 'fat cats", Elitists, Wealthy and corrupt amongst us.....
This MUST change before America becomes another Russia with the top peope getting everything and the rest of the population hunting for scraps.
Health care is a top priority and must not be the plaything of the rich and powerful. President Obama is now giving America a first step towards fairness.... Don't allow the right to scrare you into hiding under your beds and hoping things will get better............... it will only get worse until American's stop this rot.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
No, but you bring her up ad nauseum. She will be entitled to no more preventive care than anyone else. Are you saying you don't go to the dr. for preventive care?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times
I have never seen such a shambolic health system as here in the USA and i have been to many Countries..................... Must be something to be proud of to have one of the worst health systems on this planet............... UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have asked before and never got an answer but would all the complainers be happy campers if all this "free" stuff had $5 copay? Why or why not?

Sure. No problem. I always think that having people pay SOMETHING is important, because when things are totally free they are undervalued by the people who receive them. A symbolic $5 is ok with me.

But you know it would never be $5. It would be higher, and would increase with each year.... as everything does. And it would of course get to a level where it became a disincentive to people to get their preventative care. When money is tight.

I'll be honest though - "free" preventative care wasn't something I thought about or would have pushed for before the Obamacare plan went through. But now that I think about it, it's fine with me.

And sure, I think a lot of people are cheap and foolish about things that are important, and instead they waste money on buying cars/houses/clothes/vacations that they can't really afford. Of course their health care should be the most important thing on their list, and for most people it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies