Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,419,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
When they control your health, they control your life and everything you do.
When the gov't is in charge, they will use force to make us comply. Nobody wants to be forced to do anything against their will. That is why we must reject gov't mandated healthcare.

That's fine with me. I'll let people option out being "forced" to purchase health insurance. I would just act that the person/family sign a document that when they get hit by a taxi, break a bone, get diagnosed with cancer or any of those other pesky unexpected health problems happen, that they will pay for it all themselves - no matter what. No going to ER's without enough insurance. No coverage of your preventative care, or any of those other unnecessary protections that Obama care provides. And when they develop dementia in their 70's and maybe need a nursing home for safety.... they wont come knocking on the government's door asking for some help with that $10,000 per month rent.

That's all I ask. As long as you don't mind some poverty later in life. Because no family is lucky, with every person, all the time..... Just wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
I have asked before and never got an answer but would all the complainers be happy campers if all this "free" stuff had $5 copay? Why or why not?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,464,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I think the people who are claiming that their premiums went down are either lying or being disingenuous in that they now have a higher deductible plan with bigger co-pays and less coverage.

My premiums went up 14% AND I have less coverage than the previous year. Open enrollment is next month. I can't wait to see how much my premiums will go up this go around.
Hey there friend, add me and my husband whose premiums all went up up up. Co-pay it all went up. Also my daughter has told us that hers has also, and she was screaming about that. My sister inlaw is a ER Nurse at a fine Hospital, ok now she works in a hospital, funny thing, is that she says the majority of people who are coming in for procedures, or ER treatments, don't want too, because their premiums have gone up. And they are not happy. Some Doctors she has told us feel that the quality of care is just going to go down, while premiums are going up She told me a lot of Doctors, do not want this new health care bill.

She has no reason to lie, believe me, she has told many of us, that the majority of people coming into the hospital, age does not matter, in your twenty, or in your sixties, premiums have gone up.
She see's and has no reason to lie, neither do the Doctors.
She works at a very fine hospital in Torrance.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,419,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Hey there friend, add me and my husband whose premiums all went up up up. Co-pay it all went up. Also my daughter has told us that hers has also, and she was screaming about that. My sister inlaw is a ER Nurse at a fine Hospital, ok now she works in a hospital, funny thing, is that she says the majority of people who are coming in for procedures, or ER treatments, don't want too, because their premiums have gone up. And they are not happy. Some Doctors she has told us feel that the quality of care is just going to go down, while premiums are going up She told me a lot of Doctors, do not want this new health care bill.

She has no reason to lie, believe me, she has told many of us, that the majority of people coming into the hospital, age does not matter, in your twenty, or in your sixties, premiums have gone up.
She see's and has no reason to lie, neither do the Doctors.
She works at a very fine hospital in Torrance.

Yes, premiums will still continue to rise. The Obama health plan only addresses a small portion of the "problem". There is no way a slow in the rate of premium increases would be happening now, as the main portions of the health plan don't even kick in for a few years, and to see the benefits of better care and more people purchasing health insurance that will take years.

And it still wont go down the way people hope...

Your sister in-law's "fine hospital" is probably a private hospital, and doctors are worried about cost cutting. Some doctors are worried about their salaries, others are worried about being forced to see more patients in less time, others are worried about losing their nurse due to cut backs etc... Medicine is high stress work, that requires a lot of training and a lot of sacrifice. Some cuts will ultimately come out of hospitals/doctor's salaries, and that has been happening for some time.

But yes... medical care costs money. Paying for preventive care costs money. Covering the majority of us who have "pre-existing" medical conditions costs money. The amazing developments and technology we have in health care will continue to cost MORE AND MORE MONEY. And there are no easy answers here.

If you fundamentally believe that a free democratic society like in the USA should not consider affordable medical care a fundamental right .... like we do consider education... then that is your belief, and chances are it will not change. Until your family is hit by a catastrophic health issue.

I don't think we will ever have a system like Canada or the UK. We are just based on different values - for good or for bad.

Of course, the really hard discussions are yet to come. They were not even whispered about during this entire Health Care debate. We cannot keep up this rate of expenditure. Health care will always continue to get more expensive as technology improves and we all want the newest drug and the best new scan/test. People are living longer, with more medical problems, and need more care. At some point we will talk about prioritizing... or "rationing" of care.....

But if you are rich, and have enough $$ to pay for it yourself, you will always get what you want. It's the American way!

And also... we all need to start to realize that perhaps the newest car, or video game, or flashy house that we can't afford anyway are not the best things to be spending $$ on anyway. If you priorities are not to pay for your yearly preventative care appointments, then your priorities are out of wack. Is there anything more important then this?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:54 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I meant free to me. I still pay 100.00 a month for Medicare premiums. I get 80/20 Medicare coverage. I'm retired on fixed income and every penny counts. When you add up the going cost of a complete physical, blood work, EKG and other testing it is quite a bill. Even 20% of that is a hefty sum. When you consider what much of taxpayer's money goes to pay for, paying for preventative care is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Since we're on the subject, I'll bet you naysayers would also like to deny health care the taxpayer provides for our service members through the Veteran's Administration.

Since when is your retirement and fixed income anyone else's problem?

As for our service members, they earn their benefits.

They are promised certain things when they join up.

If your argument has merritt, you shouldn't need to hide behind their skirt.

You obviously paid into Medicare while you were working and are entitled to the benefits you were promised when the federal government decided to help themselves to your income.

No one has paid into Obamacare, so I'm not sure why you're happy about the fund you paid into being raided to fund the boondoggle you didn't.

As for that hefty bill you didn't see, since Obamacare is designed to blow up deficits and steal from Medicare, others will pay that bill.

Front-loaded benefits and back-loaded pain are election year gimmicks courtesy of the Obama reelection committee.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:13 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,578,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
That's fine with me. I'll let people option out being "forced" to purchase health insurance. I would just act that the person/family sign a document that when they get hit by a taxi, break a bone, get diagnosed with cancer or any of those other pesky unexpected health problems happen, that they will pay for it all themselves - no matter what. No going to ER's without enough insurance. No coverage of your preventative care, or any of those other unnecessary protections that Obama care provides. And when they develop dementia in their 70's and maybe need a nursing home for safety.... they wont come knocking on the government's door asking for some help with that $10,000 per month rent.

That's all I ask. As long as you don't mind some poverty later in life. Because no family is lucky, with every person, all the time..... Just wait.
I said gov't run healthcare, you are confusing gov't run with private insurance. This all started because about 18 million were without insurance. Some of those chose to be without, some couldn't afford it. There are other ways of providing basic care to those most in need, catastrophic care. Taking everyone's choices away is never the solution. We need more choices, which means less gov't intrusion.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,578,558 times
sfcambridge, you might want to start taking responsibility for your own health, rather than depending on your gov't run preventative programs. The gov't doesn't care about you, it's a beast that feeds off of us.

The National Cancer Institute states that among women under 35, mammography could cause 75 cases of breast cancer for every 15 it identifies.
Mammograms Cause Cancer » » DrAxe.comDrAxe.com

Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,579,504 times
DHHS nuff said.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,865 times
I was able to GET affordable health insurance after this law passed. After getting turned down by one of three health insurance companies in my state because of mild hypertension (controllable with $5 worth of pills a month) my only options were to go into the high risk pool and pay approx $1400 month.

The opponents of this bill are generally people who are sucking on the corporate teat of free or low cost health insurance who have no idea what it is like if you have to fend for yourself as a small business owner / self employed.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,739,423 times
Today's US "health care" industry is the biggest scam in the history of mankind, explaining in one sentence the root of the "health care" cost crisis we're dealing with.

The laughable notion that funneling the masses in for "free" preventive care is going to cut costs or benefit anyone is akin to honestly believing that falling for your local automotive repair chain's free offer for a bumper to bumper maintenance check for your car is going to save you money or be of any net benefit. Suddenly your car brought in for a set of tires "needs" brakes, fuel injectors, battery, transmission service, and a new radiator.

The "health care" industry thrives on milking the naive, fearful, and trusting of $billions$ in unnecessary, dangerous, and invasive procedures while making sure that they are hooked for life on prescription drugs that they need like they need a hole in the head.

It is amazing to watch so many continue to surrender control of their very lives to these scammers and not begin to see the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies