Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,133 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear...surely wasn't pleasant.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
If anything, his background makes him even more human and deserved of compassion.

He was probably a troubled youth headed down the wrong path. His mother sent him to his father to straighten him out. He had no violent history and no juvenile record, so this early intervention was an important first step to take to get him back on the straight and narrow.

Nothing about Trayvon's past indicate that he had a violent tendency. None of his suspensions were for fighting in school, assaulting anyone, etc.

Zimmerman, on the other hand, has a history that primarily involves physical violence.

Still not seeing how Trayvon comes off as the violent one in this comparison.
Exactly, if we are comparing backgrounds, Zimmerman is the one with violence in his history. Everyone glosses over that to focus on a grill.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unbreakable View Post
What the Hell is wrong with you? A picture of Martin with a f**king bottom grill is supposed to mean what exactly?

That he was "gangsta".

Wtf would the same bottom grill make the white girl above?
Besides looking like a jackass, nothing.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
I'm still just trippin' off the fact that Zimmerman claims lethal force was necessary to end a scuffie. That's the crazy thing, imo. Not the fact he had the gun (which was legal). Not the fact that he chased Martin. Not the fact that one of those two initiated a fight and ended up rolling around in the grass. It's simply the notion that the only way he could bring the confrontation to an end was through the use of deadly force.

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Do you condone or condemn this? If the situation was reversed, and the KKK put a bounty on a black man with white celebrities donating, would you feel the same?
I hate it for the same reason I support Trayvon - vigilante justice has no place in our society. It's wrong for a self-appointed "sheriff-of-the-neighborhood" to arm himself and confront another citizen, shoot and kill him. It's wrong for the NBPP to decide that man is guilty and call for his "head". Both bypass the justice system, and if left unchecked, make for a lawless society.

994 posts, read 725,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There wasn't a screwdriver and bag full of womens jewlery in his posession the night that he was murdered by Zimmerman, was there? Then it's irrelevant to the discussion of the shooting, unless you have some evidence that Martin was committing crimes that night.
You have to be deliberately obtuse to say that the jewelry and screwdriver and history of juvenile delinquency are irrelevant given that the crux of the case is A) whether Zimmerman had legitimate cause to suspect Trayvon and B) if there is reasonable cause to believe Trayvon attacked Zimmerman.

If the kid really is a burglar then both A and B become a heck of a lot more likely: if he's already been caught with stolen goods, isn't it a bit more likely he really was acting suspiciously and the neighborhood watch captain has just confronted him and is going to ID him to the cops, well there's a motive for Trayvon to have attacked Zimmerman now isn't there? And if Trayvon really was trying to crack Zimmerman's head open at the time of the shooting that would be kind of relevant to a claim of self defense, wouldn't it?

Yes an adult man shot an unarmed teenager. But the whole story doesn't stop there. You can just keep saying everything else is irrelevant if you want but at some point you cross over into being intellectually dishonest.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
old man yelling at thugs on train = death wish.
i am concerned about the limits of racial tolerance. they have been pushed pretty hard. both ways.
i dont think that the other races will continue to tolerant what has become pretty acceptable behavior on the hood. many posters on CDF esp AA posters, feel jumping on armed zimmerman was ok. and did not merit a shooting.
from the posts, i dont think we are on the same page about this at all.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Last night I was on the train coming home from work, and some toothless, long haired guy started randomly yelling, ranting in favor of Zimmerman and against the "mongrel hordes".

I told him to be quiet and he called me an animal, a mongrel, and a c***. To my face. I've never been talked to like that in my life.

The highly ironic fact is though, he was standing in that car ranting about black people in a train car full of ghetto black people with their pants hanging down, they were just shaking their heads and telling me, "Chill ma, chill."

I cried for an hour and a half after that.

I live in New York City. This was on the 2 train going into Brooklyn, of all places.

Until this past week honestly, I never gave race more than two passing thoughts. Maybe I'm naive as all heck.
Cool story. I remember my first beer.

219 posts, read 922,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It wasn't "police orders" who told him to stay in the car. It was the 911 dispatcher...not a sworn officer of the law.... who requested he not follow. It was not a command. It was not legally enforceable.

Perhaps it is you who should get your story right.
In other words a person who knows who is MUCH MORE QUALIFIED in how to handle these situations told his fat overzealous ass to stay put because the REAL POLICE WERE ON THERE WAY! He couldn't resist though, he had to try and be superman and harass the teen. Point blank if he would have stayed put LIKE HE WAS TOLD then the kid would still be alive today!

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Last night I was on the train coming home from work, and some toothless, long haired guy started randomly yelling, ranting in favor of Zimmerman and against the "mongrel hordes".

I told him to be quiet and he called me an animal, a mongrel, and a c***. To my face. I've never been talked to like that in my life.

The highly ironic fact is though, he was standing in that car ranting about black people in a train car full of ghetto black people with their pants hanging down, they were just shaking their heads and telling me, "Chill ma, chill."

I cried for an hour and a half after that.

I live in New York City. This was on the 2 train going into Brooklyn, of all places.

Until this past week honestly, I never gave race more than two passing thoughts. Maybe I'm naive as all heck.
I'm sorry you had to experience that. It sounds like someone suffering from some form of mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies