Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
True. But the fact that they actually are neutral by any rational measure does.

I have rubber stamped nothing other than approving negotiations. If that is a rubber stamp then I rubber stamped at least two conservative Republican presidents at the same time, and will continue to rubber stamp all future presidents regardless of their political stripe.

Not being a partisan ideologue I certainly support some aspects of the President's agenda. I do not support them all. Of course, unlike you I actually know what his agenda is.

I cannot make you wrong, Aero. That you are a prodigy of error is your gift. I had nothing to do with it.
Let me remind the "historian" what it is that he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What is "right?" Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Essentially every single component of the political agenda he was originally elected for.
These are your words...not mine, which is inarguably 100% acceptance of Barack Obama's agenda. Keeping it in context.....the "historian" basically says that "essentially every single component of the political agenda he was originally elected for..." is "right" and that it should be fought for in light of Republican pushback.

And now you want to run from your incessant slobbering over Barack Obama?

LOL

I'll assume that being a "historian" doesn't mean being competent enough to keep up with your own "history."

Embarrassing indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think the point that you may be missing is, Obama should just do what he feels is right at the appropriate time and let him be judged at the polls.
That is a comment so drenched in political cluelessness that is breathtaking you would offer it.

The most fundamental irony of the American political process is the uniform hypocrisy of those who would pretend that politicians... any politician... should be so naive as to be completely idealistic. It is not true that we get the government we deserve. In point of fact we get the government we demand.

Politicians lie to us for one reason and one reason only. We insist on it. We resolutely refuse to elect any politician who will be honest with us, or will not promise us the impossible. This is true on both the right and the left.

As a result, even the best intentioned, most ethical, most brilliant politicians must lie to us if they ever hope to actually be in a position to influence our nation along the lines of their intentions. If Jesus Christ himself wanted to be elected to Congress... he would have to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and promise us what he knew he could not deliver before we would ever vote for him.

So your post betrays a debilitating naivete that will forever limit your own ability to understand politics and then act effectively on that understanding. If Obama has any desire to "do what is right" then he has to be reelected. The "appropriate time" is found by a calculus more pragmatic than you imagine.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You got all that out of a few sentences that make no sense. Maybe if we saw the whole conversation we could actually coment on it instead of thinking what it means.
Lol, there is nothing this guy will do that the left will object to!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
He still won't have the authority to do anything without the approval of the Congress. Barry will be a "lame duck" and ignored from Day 1. He will have sit in the corner with a grape soda and sign what the Congress sends him.
What's with the grape soda reference

You guys can't help yourselves, can you?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You have been a staunch advocate of Barack Obama and his Agenda on this forum for a long time.
Actually... not true. I certainly have been a staunch anti-Birther, and I know that you are not capable of the intellectual subtlety that might distinguish that from blind support for Obama. And I certainly oppose almost every idea that comes from your keyboard, but that is simply because I do not share your prejudices. And that too is likely to confuse someone who thinks in the brute brush stokes that you do.

In point of fact I am a social liberal and a fiscal/defense conservative. I even voted for George W. Bush. It is a fairly classic American demographic, and the reason I am no longer a Republican since the party has abandoned social moderates and liberals completely. I have never, however, ever been a Democrat.

You have a classic filter that makes your understanding of the universe completely monochrome. Everything is a false dichotomy to you. And it cripples your ability to draw true conclusions.

That's okay. Reality is congenial to people like me. So I can afford to be generous in allowing you to wallow in your pointless effort to "label" me as the enemy. It really makes no difference in the long run.

I am content with the circumstances.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times

Reagan Bombing Joke - YouTube

"ooopsie, didn't know the mike was turned on..."

Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He'll have more "flexibility"....to do what? Sell the USofA down the river to the Russians?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...e-flexibility/

There is a video.

Medvedev graciously says he will transmit this "message" to Putin.

I wonder if the president can TELL the American people what he has in mind?
Awkward... But realistic, politically. Obama the Pragmatist.

I was more struck by how confident Obama sounds. He didn't say "IF I get re-elected...", he said "After the election..."

Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
the cold war is over and Russia is no threat and we don't need to keep the massive military we have because it is unsustainable...

I mean look at reasons why the Soviet Union fell they had a massive military they could not afford and the people at home suffered and add in their long war in afghanistan where they took massive losses in a war they had no chance of winning is part of the reasons why it caused the collapse...

I say it is time we look forward and pull out of NATO and cut a defense deal with the Russians and move past all the cold war B.S. and we might ask advice on how the economy Russian made it back to the top after the Soviet Union collapsed because if we don't get our own act together we face a very similar predicament...

We are one Massive Natural Disaster away from going under pretty much... So we better try to win some new friends than make more enemys and fix our problems at home first at this point in time and IMO...

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-26-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times
If I were the Russians, Id be careful. Remember all the promises Obama made in the 2008 campaign. Not exactly someone that has a tract record of honesty and fulfillment.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, there is nothing this guy will do that the left will object to!
As there is nothing this guy does the self-Righteous don't whine about, facts optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies