Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
you keep ignoring the witness that supports zimmerman's story. please don't ignore the facts.

if you misinterpret what i said, let me rephrase. there is no evidence to the contrary that it was murder, but there is evidence that supports self defense. this is the complete picture. you are stating incomplete situations. you keep asking why didn't zimmerman spend the night in jail. the answer is in the police report. i'm starting to think you are not willing to face facts and rely on emotional judgement.

here is another link to the police report. please read it before posting a reply.

http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....ial_Report.pdf

if this police report is proven to be fraudulent, then i would side with trayvon. hearsay is fictional.
Thanks for posting this, it's the first time I've seen clear, objective facts from the case. And, as I stated earlier, even the police report says that Zimmerman was in custody.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
But he can chase down a car if he chooses to.
I guess that's up for debate and an entirely different topic. I suppose you believe that we should live in a world where a person just confronts anyone he/she believes is doing something wrong. It's called vigilantism and that is why we don't live in the Old Wild West but in a nation of laws, where we pay armed police to handle crime. I also disagree with you that someone can "chase" another person in a car. I suppose if he's obeying the speed limit, you can argue that following another person is perfectly legal. Then that person, the one who is being followed, might look in his mirror and decide "Gee, that person is following me. I feel threatened" and shoot him in self defense. I already posted a comment describing instances where an employee was fired for pursuing a shoplifter. Best Buy was one of them.

Someone might think it's heroic to go after people, just because you see something that makes you angry, but that is why innocent people get shot. This man (http://www.wisn.com/r/24662888/detail.html - broken link)was fined because he yelled at a woman who had too many items in the express lane. You should only take matters into your own hands when there is imminent danger, and seeing someone walk down a street, not committing a crime, while safely sitting in your car, is not just cause to follow that person. In any case, it's stupid. Just my opinion.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-30-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I've known guys who are 6'3 and weigh 140lbs.
Well that person in clinically underweight, and Martin didn't look underweight in his picture, but again, it's hard to tell just from the picture.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM

409 posts, read 254,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I guess that's up for debate and an entirely different topic. I suppose you believe that we should live in a world where a person just confronts anyone he/she believes is doing something wrong. It's called vigilantism and that is why we don't live in the Old Wild West but in a nation of laws, where we pay armed police to handle crime. I also disagree with you that someone can "chase" another person in a car. I suppose if he's obeying the speed limit, you can argue that following another person is perfectly legal. Then that person, the one who is being followed, might look in his mirror and decide "Gee, that person is following me. I feel threatened" and shoot him in self defense. I already posted a comment describing instances where an employee was fired for pursuing a shoplifter. Best Buy was one of them. Someone might think it's heroic to go after people, just because you see something that makes you angry, but that is why innocent people get shot.

The job of the police is to uphold the law not protect people.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Well that person in clinically underweight, and Martin didn't look underweight in his picture, but again, it's hard to tell just from the picture.
There are a lot of teens are are skinny, and it's hard to tell from headshots if someone is skinny. Trayvon looks like a skinny kid. If I had to guess, I'd put him at around 150lbs.

Michael Jordan was 6'6 and 195lbs and he didn't look underweight at all. No way Trayvon is around the same size as Jordan.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I guess that's up for debate and an entirely different topic. I suppose you believe that we should live in a world where a person just confronts anyone he/she believes is doing something wrong. It's called vigilantism and that is why we don't live in the Old Wild West but in a nation of laws, where we pay armed police to handle crime. I also disagree with you that someone can "chase" another person in a car. I suppose if he's obeying the speed limit, you can argue that following another person is perfectly legal. Then that person, the one who is being followed, might look in his mirror and decide "Gee, that person is following me. I feel threatened" and shoot him in self defense. I already posted a comment describing instances where an employee was fired for pursuing a shoplifter. Best Buy was one of them.

Someone might think it's heroic to go after people, just because you see something that makes you angry, but that is why innocent people get shot. This man (http://www.wisn.com/r/24662888/detail.html - broken link)was fined because he yelled at a woman who had too many items in the express lane. You should only take matters into your own hands when there is imminent danger, and seeing someone walk down a street that is not near your house, when you are driving with a gun, is not just cause to follow someone. Just my opinion.
It's easy to think of scenarios where things go bad. What if a person sees a man kidnap a small child and drive away? The person calls the cops, the cops arrive 10-15 minutes later and then start looking for the car. Or, the person could call the cops, follow the car, and stay on the line with police letting them know where the car was headed. I don't think you can make a blanket rule "never do anything to stop a crime" when any situation can be very different.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
There are a lot of teens are are skinny, and it's hard to tell from headshots if someone is skinny. Trayvon looks like a skinny kid. If I had to guess, I'd put him at around 150lbs.

Michael Jordan was 6'6 and 195lbs and he didn't look underweight at all. No way Trayvon is around the same size as Jordan.
The police report puts him at 160, but they also put him at 6 ft.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
When following the link to the MSNBC story your link is referring to, I see this:

So either MSNBC editors fixed it, or the original reporter of this, Breitbart, stuck
In the ellipses for the "asked if he was white, Hispanic, or black" section. But Breitbart would never engage in selective, creative editing, would they?

Edit: I see in another post that apparently The Today Show was guilty of such editing.
Breitbart? He's the man who edited the Shirley Sherrod tape and completely changed the meaning of what she said. Anyway, didn't he die a month ago? Stories on his web site look more sensationalized than one of those supermarket tabloids.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Actually he has every right to follow Martin. He needs no other authority than the Constitution.
The constitution guarantees a right to privacy, that is a right not to be followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire_63 View Post
We are trying to catch the liberal media up that still think he was a 13-year old child based on an old photograph. We are going from his current facebook photos and police reports.

Did you also know that Trayvon's family have a history of crying racism and lawsuits?

Also a transcript of Trayvon's twitter account reveal him to be a "hothead".
Please tell me who "we" is?

This smearing of Trayvon's character reminds me of the old game of "gossip" we used to play as kids. Every day something is added. Now it's that his family has a history of crying racism and lawsuits.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Rev Al has lost the NAACP due to his inflammatory rhetoric.

Civil rights leaders condemn Sharpton's call for escalated civil disobedience | News - Home

Civil rights leaders condemn Sharpton's call for escalated civil disobedience

If he does incite riots, I hope they wear those hoodies that say, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies