Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's easy to think of scenarios where things go bad. What if a person sees a man kidnap a small child and drive away? The person calls the cops, the cops arrive 10-15 minutes later and then start looking for the car. Or, the person could call the cops, follow the car, and stay on the line with police letting them know where the car was headed. I don't think you can make a blanket rule "never do anything to stop a crime" when any situation can be very different.
I mentioned before that if a child is in danger or any person's life is in harm's way, it's important to take action. I never said that you shouldn't pull someone from a burning car either. I was talking about situations where nobody was in imminent danger. I don't expect you to read all of my posts, since I've written a lot of them lately, but I've emphasized this several times.

Where did I ever write "never do anything to stop a crime?"

Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Extremists on both sides have exploited the issue. Black Panther idiots are using this as a recruiting tool, and White nationalists are using this also.

Me personally, I don't think race was involved, I think Martin killed the kid and got off because his father is a judge.
Um, Martin was the kid who was killed. Your deep understanding of the topic is certainly evident.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Travor Martin was not on a public street.
He was on the public space of a gated community. It's not as if he was in his own backyard.

Where he was walking was open to anyone in the complex. It was not a restrictive spot to Zimmerman or Martin, both could have followed each other and broken no laws.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
That's the problem. Why should any 17 year old be viewed as a threat? He wasn't doing anything wrong!
What does 17-years-old have to do with someone looking suspicious or as a threat ?

Following someone with a gun or calling 911 is going overboard imo, but if you're suggesting that someone must be doing something wrong or illegal before they can be 'suspicious,' you're also going overboard.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire_63 View Post
I am going from the interview that Zimmerman's dad gave to a reporter yersterday. Unless Trayvon comes back from the dead and says otherwise then that is what happened.
Because the father, who heard NOTHING, witnessed NOTHING, parrots something his son said, or may not have said, makes it true??

I hope you don't ever get called for jury duty.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trayvon Martin was not stalking Zimmerman. It was the other way around. As the days progress more and more people are coming forward to reveal Zimmerman's history of violence, quick temper and erratic behavior. It was an issue and relevant as to how this might have played out. If you choose to negate it, that's your choice. His character and history are more relevant...IMO...than the expression in the eyes of the kid that his heart stopped by Zimmerman's gun.
I am not a supporter of either side. I do not know what happened that night any more than you do. To me, in finding the truth, NO information is IRRELEVANT. That is my point! The media should be giving us the truth and accurate pictures of the Martin should be a part of the truth. It is pretty much accepted that Zimmerman started following Martin because he thought he looked suspicious. If Martin were a 12 year old child, this would be hard to believe. However, if he were a 17 year old, 6 ft tall young man with a 2 day growth of beard, it might be more credible. Frankly, I am beginning to doubt that the picture shown of Zimmerman is accurate either, since the video of him at the police station looks totally different. Again, I don't know what happened that night (and neither do you), so I plan to wait for more information to come out before drawing a conclusion.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
That's the problem. Why should any 17 year old be viewed as a threat? He wasn't doing anything wrong!
I believe if you looked at crime statistics you would find that many crimes, particularly property crimes, are perpetrated by 17 year olds.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I am not a supporter of either side. I do not know what happened that night any more than you do. To me, in finding the truth, NO information is IRRELEVANT. That is my point! The media should be giving us the truth and accurate pictures of the Martin should be a part of the truth. It is pretty much accepted that Zimmerman started following Martin because he thought he looked suspicious. If Martin were a 12 year old child, this would be hard to believe. However, if he were a 17 year old, 6 ft tall young man with a 2 day growth of beard, it might be more credible. Frankly, I am beginning to doubt that the picture shown of Zimmerman is accurate either, since the video of him at the police station looks totally different. Again, I don't know what happened that night (and neither do you), so I plan to wait for more information to come out before drawing a conclusion.
My question as well as many others is, why do black teens always look "suspicious" to non-blacks? A whiteboy in a hoodie should not looked at any differently than a blackboy so what really is the difference?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I believe if you looked at crime statistics you would find that many crimes, particularly property crimes, are perpetrated by 17 year olds.
That`s true but unlike the shooter,this 17 year old had no arrest record and no history of violence.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My question as well as many others is, why do black teens always look "suspicious" to non-blacks? A whiteboy in a hoodie should not looked at any differently than a blackboy so what really is the difference?
Perhaps because black teens have higher rates of violent crime? Just a thought. People aren't generally aren't wary of chinese teens wearing hoodies and that's for good reason.

But honestly I think it all depends on the place and time. A black kid wearing a "Howard" or a "Morehouse" Hoodie on a college campus carrying books and a book bag don't come off as "theatening," While a team of black teens with black hoodies on the corner of a liquor store at 2 in the morning in a black neighborhood don't exacttly appear innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies