Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 PM

150 posts, read 173,974 times

Advertisements

Americans worship the dollar. The dollar is the be all and end all, the God of American life, the glue that holds us together.

People love corporations because they think that they themselves will climb the corporate ladder and make more dollars. They hate the government because the government takes away dollars through taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,981,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
Because government can and does make you do things, prevent you from doing things, takes your property, your money, and your time without your consent.

No corporation has any such powers.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,407,201 times
There's a difference between the government and corporations???

Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,981,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
There's a difference between the government and corporations???
There's a difference between night and day? East and West? North and South? Dead and alive?

Who'd have thought?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,959,885 times
Our Government is pretty much hollow-owned by nationless corporations. People think it is the Government but the most sinister laws are written by allegiences of multi-national corporations and supported by their whores in Congress.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
for or same reason the founding father were and why we have the supreme court to protect against imperial presidency. Many progressive presidents dream of ignoring the court and even FDR was bluntly stopped from stacking the courts. Common people often will ignore as long as they are feed whatever as exampled by Hitler.he will take care of me is very dangerous thought whoever he is. Corporation are individuals under law; regulated and competitive against each other. Commonly most people are dependent on them for their own well being. Few think about it but that extends to government services. Which are largely paid for by corporation creating GDP. Government solely spends does not create wealth.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,471,881 times
Quote:
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.
No, the government's main purpose is not to help fix societal problems or to help guide society. Your statement of that is exactly why I'm more paranoid about government than I am about corporations.

I don't want you telling me how to live. That's the result of government guiding society. It's you electing your politicians to make laws forcing me to live the way you want me to live.
Quote:
corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.
Exactly. Their main purpose is to make money. That means they aren't doing a thing to intrude upon my life.
Quote:
also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

makes no sense.
Actually, what makes no sense to me is that you are able to honestly state that government's job is to run society while corporations just exist to run their own business and then say that I should paranoid about corporations but not government. I don't understand how a rational person could say such a thing. It's like you walked right up to me and said 2+2=5.

Why on God's green earth would I be paranoid about a company that just wants to sell more iphones, but be completely accepting of bureaucrats who want to tax my money, tell me what insurance I must have, control my children's education, etc? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,428,769 times
Quote:

makes no sense.

The only corporations that know who I call are the phone companies that handle the connections, and this I consented to when I purchase phone service.

The federal government never bothered to get my permission.

When I no longer choose to have a relationship with my wireless provider, this company will no longer know who I'm calling.

The federal government still knows who I'm talking to.

How in the **** does that "better society"?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:

makes no sense.
In absence of mental illness, paranoia is a choice.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,428,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How do you choose to NOT do business with Big Oil unless you're living totally off the grid?

And good luck choosing NOT to do business with Big Pharma when you're told you need one of their products to live.

Big oil isn't a corporation.

BP is a corporation.

Shell is a corporation.

Chevron is a corporation.

If you don't want to do business with them, buy an electric car and tell them all to **** off!

As for Pharma, they cut their deal with the Dems when Obamacare was shoved down our throats.

Don't like it, take it up with an Obamacare supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies