Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

57,305 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

I didn't know he was still around, after he went to prison Willimina Roulark took his place on the democratic ticket. He got out of prison and ran against her on the republican ticket with a resounding win, why anyone would listen to him is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM

57,305 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how does this idjit keep getting elected?
That question goes unanswered in just every election district in the US, I would bet you have an example in your area although maybe not as bad.

Remember Abscam in New Jersey, some of them got reelected, never underestimate the intelligence of the voter

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Never underestimate the intelligence of the voter
You can say that again!

Signed,
Sheila Jackson Lee

Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Remember that Marion Barry was one of the people Eric 'my people' Holder wanted to tap in order to 'brainwash' us.

Eric Holder "Brainwash People" about Guns - YouTube

Operation brainwash rolls on....

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
It is interesting how racists always have another group to blame for their failures (white, black, brown, whatever). If feel the same about dittoheads blaming liberals for everything. Lame.

Back in college I always felt all the black kids studying African-American studies just inflamed their sense of the importance of race. Sure it is important, and definitely worth a survey course or two, but as a major? Come on. Imagine a kid from W. Virginia majoring in Hillbilly Studies or an New York Jew studying American Judaism. Get a skill and get over it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
While I don't agree with the way Marion Barry said what he said....I agree with his sentiment.

I was born and raised in DC (Ward 8) and most of the beauty supply, convenience, etc are owned by Asians. They are INCREDIBLY rude and racist towards their black patrons. The products are sub par, but many people are poor and can't afford to go further for necessities. These stores take advantage of this. The stores are usually dirty and the ones that sell food items are routinely closed for health code violations (only to be reopened under a new name).

I recall black-owned stores coming in and trying to have a presence. I remember one in particular that sold really good soul food. For whatever reason, the store did not make it long-term. Many of these Asian-owned stores have a network of people helping them, so they are able to make it long-term.

I would LOVE to own a beauty supply store, but it is INCREDIBLY difficult to get this type of store off the ground. The Asians have the market cornered. If I ever win the lottery, I would love to start a franchise that will allow more Black women to own and operate their own beauty supply stores.

But, yeah...don't agree with the way he said it. But, I do agree that Blacks should be owning and operating more of these stores. But, unfortunately, it's not as easy to get a business going as some might think.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There's this meme in the Black community that I've heard for 15 years or so that the immigrant store owners in the hood get special loans or grants from the government. I've heard radio DJs, talk show host, educated classmates and co-workers also repeat this yet no one to date has provided a link to this immigrant only loan program.

Marion Barry is playing to his base which is not equipped to compete and view the wealth and success of others as either ill gained or to put it more crassly it belongs to them.
WRONG. Many know that those who own these stores do so with the support of family, especially Asians. Many Asians will pool money and resources together to get a store off the ground. You'll even find the kids working at these stores.

My husband works at a bank and he says that many of the Asian members that come in for loans aren't actually getting loans for themselves, but rather for their family to get a business started. So, you'll have multiple family members getting loans to go towards one venture. With those sort of resources, it's much easier to get a business going. This is not always an option for black Americans.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It is interesting how racists always have another group to blame for their failures (white, black, brown, whatever). If feel the same about dittoheads blaming liberals for everything. Lame.

Back in college I always felt all the black kids studying African-American studies just inflamed their sense of the importance of race. Sure it is important, and definitely worth a survey course or two, but as a major? Come on. Imagine a kid from W. Virginia majoring in Hillbilly Studies or an New York Jew studying American Judaism. Get a skill and get over it.
History majors = "White American Studies".

Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
It never fails that something like will pop up and remind me why I'm glad I don't live in DC

Does this so-called "leader" think that store owners protecting themselves with plexiglass is more of an outrage than the high crime that is on the other side of the glass?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You've got to be kidding me?

I've worked all over D.C. I was based in S.E. but worked everywhere.
Are you contesting that SE DC is not a poverty stricken cesspool???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies