Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
You might want to read his diary it is an historical TRUE FACT:

I am asking you for the last time quit following me and stalking me; If you have proof of something post it.

but you just rant on and on with no proof no discussion - you are harassing me (daily) and I'm tired of your infantile actions.

1490-1492 - Columbus' personal log: "To. . . bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the heathens. .... It was the Lord who put into my mind ... that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies ... I am the most unworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely ... No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Saviour, if it is just and if the intention is purely for His holy service."

We tend to think of Christopher Columbus as an explorer, a discoverer. ... In reality, while that is all true, Columbus was also a man of his day, which meant that he was a man who took apocalyptic teachings, who took biblical passages very, very literally. And in fact, we have in his own autobiographical writings, toward the end of his life, and in his messages to Ferdinand and Isabella, proposing yet another great enterprise. This time it will be ... to restore the Holy Land as a fulfillment of prophecies in the Book of Isaiah and elsewhere of the end time events. ... He believed that gold from the New World could be used to finance this great crusade to the Middle East to regain Jerusalem.
So in addition to everything else, Christopher Columbus is very much a prominent figure in the history of apocalyptic belief in Europe. ... I think Columbus very much did have a sense of millennial fulfillment, that from his voyages, from his discoveries, and ... what he saw as the capstone event of his career, which would be the final expedition to the Middle East, as a fulfillment of biblical prophecies that would lead to the millennium.

I guess they quit teaching the truth in elementary schools

They need to teach the history in its entirety...

Quote:
After landing in the New World, Columbus found that most of the people were of gentle and peaceful disposition. They welcomed the strangers with an open heart and showered them with gifts. But this did not win over the crusading Spaniards. They believed that God had destined the infidels, even if they accepted Christianity, as slaves for the Europeans. It seems that slavery went naturally with conversion.

In the ensuing years, the discovery of the New World unleashed a host of gold hungry navigators and explorers. The Indians were given to these Conquistadors by the Spanish crown as human cattle. They were forced to work the land and the mines, dying in the thousands from the heavy labour and white man diseases. In this historical tragedy, the cruelty of the so-called civilized men put that of barbarians to shame.
RaceandHistory.com : The Other Columbus

Yes, Columbus...A mercenary POS that just further proved that religion has propagated more hate, hypocrisy and barbaric acts than any other ideology.

This has gone way off topic, but Columbus was just as screwed up as any of the present day Bible thumpers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM

459 posts, read 724,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Then wouldn't you expect Him to be a better mathematician?[/url]
Do you remember the part when the Bible was written directly by God? Me neither. Men wrote it, and, at times, made mistakes. It would be the core message that is important.

Besides, you should cut the writers some slack. They discovered that Earth was a sphere centuries before science did. They described things that only now, with modern science, we can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Grim Reaper has finally come for religion. And it has come in the form of science. Even when Galileo pointed his telescope towards the sky centuries ago, the writing was on the wall. Even the Bible itself hints that intellectuals and thinkers are the enemy of God.

Science was the enemy of religious belief all along. The creation story in Genesis has been proven false, the Bible or any other scripture is not the infallible Word of God. Even the most sacred belief of them all - that Jesus is the Son of God - does not stand up to scrutiny.

Religion was a nice theory while it lasted. But it has reached the end of the road for serious people. What is happening before our very eyes is dramatic, earth-shattering and devastating.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Religion as an institution is being affirmed and generally getting stronger for the faithful through science.
Oh, the creation story was proven false? Who said it was literal? You guys always want to just get your points across and forsake the other evidence.
I'd also like to know where you get your evidence for Jesus not being the son of God from...

I mean those statements you made are pretty broad and hard to pin as accurate, especially with your not being able to show any real evidence.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
If you want to learn creationism, go to church school.
If you want to learn the truth, go to a public school so they can teach you Evolution.
HA HA! Truth from a public school! Ha ha!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Teaching religion in school under the guise of "Creationism" and pretending there is a "controversy" over evolution.
Okay, buddy, clearly there's no argument whenever you don't want there to be one. Nothing to do here!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
If you want to learn creationism, go to church school.
If you want to learn the truth, go to a public school so they can teach you Evolution.
ROFLMAO - You left out the homosexuality portion!! ALL children must learn!!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
We could only hope so. All children should learn the truth about sexuality, unfortunately too many schools have stopped teaching about sex due to the backwards thinking of those like you.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
HA HA! Truth from a public school! Ha ha!
A lot more truth than some catholic and/or christian school.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

409 posts, read 254,484 times
Quote:
lol exactly.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Do you remember the part when the Bible was written directly by God? Me neither. Men wrote it, and, at times, made mistakes. It would be the core message that is important.
The writers of the Bible themselves repeatedly claim a supernatural origin for their writings. If divine inspiration was unable to keep the Bible free of mathematical error, why would anyone defend it as being free from scientific or historical error? Bottom line is that your argument here is not with me... it is with those who believe in Biblical inerrancy... and thereby become creationists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter
Besides, you should cut the writers some slack. They discovered that Earth was a sphere centuries before science did. They described things that only now, with modern science, we can understand.
First and foremost, the bible is from cover to cover a flat earth book.

Second, the sphericity of the earth was known to the (pagan) ancient Greeks by the 6th century BC. So apparently "modern science" was not necessary to figure that out.

There does not exist a single true "scientific" detail in the entire Bible (Old Testament and new) that was not either already understood by other pre-scientific cultures or otherwise obvious to any casual observer who bothered to pay attention.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I would rather have a child learn about homosexuality in a classroom than in the rectory from a perverted preacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies