Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
King George would be so proud!
I thought you were a US citizen? The battle cry was "No taxation without representation", not merely "No taxation". You have representation, I take it?

(I, on the other hand, am in fact taxed with no representation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You've got this all wrong. We would gladly work to reduce waste and stupidity, but that is never addressed. It is always cutting what you don't want and keeping what you do. The Ryan budget is a wet dream for corporations and a hose job for everyone else.

With the retirement of many boomers, we should be in a great place to discuss reducing redundant positions, administrative stupidity,etc. I would be all for it. I don't know why we have so many agencies duplicating services and not even being aware of the others are doing. But frankly, I have never seen any bipartisan effort to reduce waste and fraud. It is always the same government is bad, except the military, and private sector is good bs.

And for all the whining, it is not that bad of a deal.

My wife and I just paid an effective tax rate of 8.66% ($9k) on $103k. BFD. Why did I get such a cakewalk? Because I have one kid,with some child care costs, a $200k mortgage, a bunch of pre-tax 401k contributions, and $600 in student loan interest. That is a friggin bargain by any standards, and I really don't have that many deductions. Such low tax rates cannot possibly pay for the services and infrastructure our family uses.

I think most of the antitax fetishists are just perpetual whiners. I could afford to have my taxes raised 5% with almost no effects whatsoever, and most people could do the same. Especially those with higher incomes. If we did that and cut the government by 10%, we would be debt free. But I don't expect to hear anything except squealing and whining from the folks here over the best tax rates in the western world.
You and your wife are just barely into the taxable area.
I think what you wrote is right, deferred some retirement income from taxes and reduced your debt due to a home and student loan.

I agree about shrinking government 10% or more.
Government employees were 1% of the population in the 60s and today they are over 11% of our population. We need to fire 90% of government employees back to the private sector as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I thought you were a US citizen? The battle cry was "No taxation without representation", not merely "No taxation". You have representation, I take it?

(I, on the other hand, am in fact taxed with no representation.)
We have government growing 1000% at least over the last 40 years and we didn't need it.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We have government growing 1000% at least over the last 40 years and we didn't need it.
Was still the majority decision to do so. Now, we have to reap what we sow.

We can't pay down the debt without paying taxes. You have representation, so paying taxes shouldn't be a problem. If you disagree with the spending, vote against it. I think you'll find that either Candidate D or R don't help with that, so vote for someone else.

Republican or Democrat, the debt will increase, spending won't be cut where it needs it.

If you simply vote against Obama, or against Romney, you aren't helping.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You and your wife are just barely into the taxable area.
I think what you wrote is right, deferred some retirement income from taxes and reduced your debt due to a home and student loan.

I agree about shrinking government 10% or more.
Government employees were 1% of the population in the 60s and today they are over 11% of our population. We need to fire 90% of government employees back to the private sector as well.
Well, we have a good lifestyle, and we could afford a 15% tax rate. I'd rather pay that than leave my son with a 30% rate and a bunch of drooling boomers to feed. Wealthier folks certainly could pay 15%. A tax rate of 15-18% is how much it costs to live in a western democracy. Currently we are at the low end of that range. Why whine about it? Pay it and expect more from our government (better services and less waste).

The notion of firing 90% of the federal employees is just an ideological daydream, and it would be far more hurtful than helpful, I suspect. Most federal jobs are middle class jobs and directly support domestic demand.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
I'd be OK paying taxes to the federal government if I knew they were being spent well, not bailing out Obama's major donors.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
I'd be ok with paying taxes if I wasn't paying twice the rate of insanely wealthy multi-millionaires and billionaires like Mitt Romney for no good reason.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, we have a good lifestyle, and we could afford a 15% tax rate. I'd rather pay that than leave my son with a 30% rate and a bunch of drooling boomers to feed. Wealthier folks certainly could pay 15%. A tax rate of 15-18% is how much it costs to live in a western democracy. Currently we are at the low end of that range. Why whine about it? Pay it and expect more from our government (better services and less waste).

The notion of firing 90% of the federal employees is just an ideological daydream, and it would be far more hurtful than helpful, I suspect. Most federal jobs are middle class jobs and directly support domestic demand.
That's a bunch of BS. You decided to take exemptions as far as your eyes could see and now you want to play the woe is me role?

Grow up.

Next year we'll be expecting you both to claim 0 for exemptions and that you'll refuse to write off interest, taxes paid, EIC and all the other various tax write-offs you took full advantage of. Don't be angry when we bring this thread up and throw it in your face.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
May this day, the most anticipated and holy day of your liturgical year, be filled with blessings to you and your family.
You must be happy all the time that "borrow day" is everyday for the Republicons.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
May this day, the most anticipated and holy day of your liturgical year, be filled with blessings to you and your family.
Thanks!

When I got my checks (they just turn yours over to us directly now to limit "waste") I immediately went and bought an Escalade, then I put the silliest and shiniest rims on it I could find. Then I went and bought several thousand dollars worth of WIC and foodstamps and spent the rest of the day tanning so that tomorrow I can pretend to be a non-white person in line in front of a bunch of conservatives and irritate them by paying for soda and cigarettes with those illegally gotten food stamps.

Later I was planning on passing out contraceptive materials to unmarried women. If there was still time, I was going to buy some spotted owls and throw them in front of tractors.

Your welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies