Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Ok you wanna go to the grey area let's use autism as an example. Would I abort a fetus that I knew would grow into a baby and human being with irreversible autism? I don't know. That would be a very hard decision for me. I mean what do you expect me to say? What are you trying to get at?

Let me put it in simpler terms. If medical technology allowed could tell me hey this fetus most definitely will develop into a baby with autism but your next one would not. Yes I would choose the healthy fetus over the one that would develop into an autistic child. And I'm using autism as an example because although it's pretty significant autistic children are fully functional physically and pretty highly functional mentally as well.

Is that what you're trying to get out of me?
Not all autistic people are high functioning. Many aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We can easily determne misery in many cases. We can easily determine no brain activity, pain, etc.
No brain activity equals death. Pain can be relieved. No one can determine who's life is worth living.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If you are incapable of choosing for yourself (vegetative state or something) you can't expect other to take care of you no matter what either. That's just how it is.
I know, and that's why in this mother's situation, I can't honestly say what I would do. But I fear that if legislation passed that gave her and every other parent the right, that would open it up for people to much more overtly practice eugenics in regards to the disabled population.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Withholding treatment and terminating treatment are two separate issues with separate rules.
No they aren't. Different terms for the same thing: PULLING THE PLUG.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,207 times
Quote:
Who are you to determine who's life is a misery?

An innocent person is one who has not harmed another person, although I believe capital punishment is wrong, I understand the rational for killing murderers.

Oh really? And how do you know "murdering" isn't going to be proven to be a "genetic" disorder in the next 100 years? Wouldn't that be "killing" an "innocent" person? Where do we draw the line in killing children? The only thing you're doing is putting your own view of morality all over everything.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
No brain activity equals death. Pain can be relieved. No one can determine who's life is worth living.
Pain can't always be relieved but that's another issue entirely. Some people choose to live in spite of pain.

With that said, my fingers are sore from all this rapid reading, lol. So I'll have to continue tomorrow!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
No they aren't. Different terms for the same thing: PULLING THE PLUG.
Of course they are different. Once begun, certain procedures require a court order to discontinue absent a healthcare proxy or advanced directive.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Pain can't always be relieved but that's another issue entirely. Some people choose to live in spite of pain.

With that said, my fingers are sore from all this rapid reading, lol. So I'll have to continue tomorrow!
Good night.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,565 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised how many family members, when told their loved one is clinically brain dead, refuse to stop ventilation and tube feeding. For far too many people, a heartbeat is all they factor in for 'quality of life'.

We have a serious problem confronting mortality, in this country especially.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Not all autistic people are high functioning. Many aren't.
I know I was making a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies