Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
the special prosecutor filed charges three weeks after she was appointed.
Martin was shot on 2/26.. Angela Corey took over on 3/22.. and she filed charges 4/11

Which means she took over the case 25 days after the shooting, supposedly because no one was filing any charges. Then waited 20 more days to actually file charges.

I don't know how long the process typically takes, but it seems like it took her a long time to come to a conclusion that she might actually have enough evidence to file charges. And most legal experts think the second-degree murder charges is a real stretch. The police investigators only intended to file manslaughter charges.

Something stinks.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
He isn't blowing off the state's case because there is too much at stake. But, this doesn't really seem like a remotely fair fight. I mean, you basically have evidence of Trayvon punching Zimmerman, because his finger is bruised. You have from the Zimmerman with a bloody and broken nose, bleeding heavilyback of the head. You have Zimmerman claiming that he had been screaming for help, and which we know someone had been screaming for help for quite some time, and we are pretty sure that that person is Zimmerman. We have the closest witness that says he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman, and that Zimmerman was asking him for help. The police say Zimmermans back was wet and grass-stained, which is consistent with him being on the ground and Trayvon on top of him.

We don't have any proof that Zimmerman was even following Trayvon at the point the fight occurred. We know that Trayvon started the confrontation by saying something to Zimmerman, but have absolutely no information about what happened next, and will never have any information about what happened next.

Not only is this case so obviously a situation of self-defense based on the evidence. But even if it wasn't self-defense, it would still be impossible for the state to even prove.

I mean, it is an absolute waste of time. And when it comes to an end, you are going to end up with protests and violence, just like you are seeing violence in recent weeks with many black people supposedly taking out their frustrations about Trayvon's death by attacking whites.

This case will not end on a positive note. It will not accomplish anything good at all. And you can thank Al Sharpton and the other race-baiters.
First, Zimmerman was not "bleeding heavily" from the back of the head. Looks like he received some scratches on the back of the head and they are bleeding but not profusely.

You say "we're pretty sure" it was Zimmerman screaming for help?? Pretty sure doesn't cut it in court. Martin's mom identified the voice as her son of 17 years. No one knows the voice of her son better than his mom. So there is a contradiction of Zimmerman's statement.

The witness who said that Trayvon was on top and Zimmerman was asking him for help has already changed his story. Now he says that Trayvon was on top, NOT punching Zimmerman MMA style, and that he doesn't know which one was screaming for help. So there's another one of your reasons for believing this case does not need to be in court sort of up in smoke.

No, we don't know for sure Trayvon started the fight. There is a witness now who says that Trayvon was saying "get off, get off" to Zimmerman just before Trayvon's phone went dead. So there's another bit of "evidence" indicating this was totally self defense controverted.

And last is the prediction that at the end, the entire issue will just cause violence and protests from blacks. I don't agree with that prediction at all. I think that is being pushed by far-right talking heads only. I think people really just wanted to see this case taken to court for a fair trial. I think people were outraged that a 17 year old, who was unarmed and not engaged in any criminal activity, could be shot and killed and no one would even question the legality of it. Certainly seems that the SPD did not do a good job of investigating this case at all.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Martin was shot on 2/26.. Angela Corey took over on 3/22.. and she filed charges 4/11

Which means she took over the case 25 days after the shooting, supposedly because no one was filing any charges. Then waited 20 more days to actually file charges.

I don't know how long the process typically takes, but it seems like it took her a long time to come to a conclusion that she might actually have enough evidence to file charges. And most legal experts think the second-degree murder charges is a real stretch. The police investigators only intended to file manslaughter charges.

Something stinks.
20 days is one day less than 3 weeks.

Yes, 25 days after the shooting, she was assigned to the case by the governor because there was a question as to why the state attorney for the Circuit where Sanford is located didn't file charges. There is no "supposedly" about it; the original SA did not file charges. She was appointed to investigate and determine whether or not the previous state attorney was correct in not filing charges because there wasn't enough evidence to support a conviction, or to determine that charges should be filed.

There is a reason why Zimmerman's apparently close relationship with SPD is considered at the very least "interesting."

And most legal experts qualify that opinion by saying they don't know all the evidence the special prosecutor might have.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
If you wanted to actually do something constructive. You need to stop wanting Zimmerman locked up so badly, and fighting about some supposedly new evidence that the state is going to use to win the case. But rather use your resources to raise awareness, to help prevent this kind of situation from happening again.

I will say something, I am quite prejudicial in general, especially towards people of color. If I had seen Martin walking down my neighborhood, I would have assumed he were a criminal as well.

But, I live very close to a military base, and when I go to the store, I see plenty of black men dressed in military uniforms. And I would never suspect a black man in a military uniform of being a criminal. If I saw a black man in a military uniform walking down my street. I would greet him politely. My friend is basically a neo-conservative, and he likes to tell the service people that come walking by "Thank you", and it doesn't matter what race they are.

There are ways we can avoid this kind of situation from happening in the future. This situation was easily avoidable on so many levels. But locking up Zimmerman really doesn't accomplish much of anything. And it simply isn't going to happen anyway.
First of all, I've never said that I want Zimmerman locked up "so badly" or otherwise. All I've said is that we really don't know the state's case yet.

I want this case to play out in the justice system. I want to see a fair trial. At this point I don't know whether Zimmerman should be locked up because I have not heard all the evidence. Really pretty simple.

What I would also like to see is Florida's SYG statute reviewed and either repealed or modified to a much less broad, sweeping statute. As it is now, IMO, it's a license to kill. That's another reason there is such a sharp focus on this case.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 AM

Quote:
You say "we're pretty sure" it was Zimmerman screaming for help?? Pretty sure doesn't cut it in court. Martin's mom identified the voice as her son of 17 years. No one knows the voice of her son better than his mom. So there is a contradiction of Zimmerman's statement.
Martin's father said it wasn't his son's voice. His mother claims it is. It is obviously very convenient for the screams to be the voice of Trayvon, so it is not farfetched to believe a grief-stricken mother would claim the voice to be Trayvon's, in hopes that it would help to convict her sons killer, regardless of whether or not it was the truth.

When Zimmerman made his statement, he knew absolutely nothing about a 911 tape. So either it was just coincidence, or he was actually screaming for help. And no one really can prove whose voice is on the tape.

But since we know that Martin was on top and Zimmerman was on bottom, it doesn't make too much sense that Trayvon would be calling for help, repeatedly.

Quote:
No, we don't know for sure Trayvon started the fight. There is a witness now who says that Trayvon was saying "get off, get off" to Zimmerman just before Trayvon's phone went dead. So there's another bit of "evidence" indicating this was totally self defense controverted.
Well, this is the first time I've heard that one. But it could be true.

What makes no sense to me is why Trayvon ended up where he ended up. If he had been running away from Zimmerman and Zimmerman lost sight of him. Then he would have had to have run around the corner of the housing area. And for him to have gotten into a fight where he did with Zimmerman, he would have had to have walked back towards Zimmerman from where he had been hiding.

And it seems to me that Zimmerman either hadn't moved at all from the time he was on the phone with dispatch, or he had to have been walking back to his truck.

So if Zimmerman started a fight with Trayvon, it could only have been after Trayvon popped out from where he was hiding and walked towards Zimmerman.

Quote:
And last is the prediction that at the end, the entire issue will just cause violence and protests from blacks. I don't agree with that prediction at all. I think that is being pushed by far-right talking heads only. I think people really just wanted to see this case taken to court for a fair trial. I think people were outraged that a 17 year old, who was unarmed and not engaged in any criminal activity, could be shot and killed and no one would even question the legality of it. Certainly seems that the SPD did not do a good job of investigating this case at all.

The problem is, you are misrepresenting the case anyway. The police had already had an investigation going on, and supposedly they had intended to file manslaughter charges against Zimmerman from what I understand. They had barely had the case open for more than the three weeks it took Angela Corey to actually file charges once she took over. If you take Zimmerman, he actually did not like the Sanford police, and said that they were corrupt. That they covered up the beating of a homeless black man. And that many in the department were lazy and not doing their jobs.

Four Witnesses In Trayvon Martin Case Changed Their Stories -- Daily Intel

So I think the argument that Zimmerman and the Sanford police were buddies, and that Zimmerman was going to get away with murder, is a mistake. And I think the media, making a presumption of racism and corruption, really didn't accomplish anything. If the case goes to trial, I have a feeling they will really be seeking manslaughter charges(which is what the Sanford police claim they were going to bring against Zimmerman in the first place). And I believe that Zimmerman will end up acquitted on all charges.

So, I think media involvement did absolutely nothing to change the outcome of the case. But it did create divisiveness in this country, as well as a media and political circus, while inflaming the racial situation we have in this country.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, 25 days after the shooting, she was assigned to the case by the governor because there was a question as to why the state attorney for the Circuit where Sanford is located didn't file charges. There is no "supposedly" about it; the original SA did not file charges. She was appointed to investigate and determine whether or not the previous state attorney was correct in not filing charges because there wasn't enough evidence to support a conviction, or to determine that charges should be filed.
The question is, was the state attorney never going to file charges at all? Or was she just looking over the case and making sure they actually had a case? Because as you know, while there were no charges 25 days in from the beginning, there were no actual charges filed until 45 days in. It took Angela Corey 20 days to file charges in a case that was her only focus. When the only reason the governor appointed her special prosecutor was because people had been complaining for weeks about how no charges had been filed. The complaints came long before the 20 day mark in the original investigation. I figure, the governor was just protecting himself by appointing a special prosecutor to the case.

Quote:
There is a reason why Zimmerman's apparently close relationship with SPD is considered at the very least "interesting."
What close relationship exactly? Everything I've read basically seems to say that Zimmerman didn't really like the SPD very much, and one of the reasons he was being a "vigilante", was because he basically felt the SPD would be useless and not show up in time to stop a criminal.

The police put Zimmerman in handcuffs pretty much right on the spot, and kept him in handcuffs all the way to the station. At which they interrogated the crap out of him. I don't really see how he was treated so special?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
The question is, was the state attorney never going to file charges at all? Or was she just looking over the case and making sure they actually had a case? Because as you know, while there were no charges 25 days in from the beginning, there were no actual charges filed until 45 days in. It took Angela Corey 20 days to file charges in a case that was her only focus. When the only reason the governor appointed her special prosecutor was because people had been complaining for weeks about how no charges had been filed. The complaints came long before the 20 day mark in the original investigation. I figure, the governor was just protecting himself by appointing a special prosecutor to the case.

What close relationship exactly? Everything I've read basically seems to say that Zimmerman didn't really like the SPD very much, and one of the reasons he was being a "vigilante", was because he basically felt the SPD would be useless and not show up in time to stop a criminal.

The police put Zimmerman in handcuffs pretty much right on the spot, and kept him in handcuffs all the way to the station. At which they interrogated the crap out of him. I don't really see how he was treated so special?
Seems to be pretty common knowledge that the first State Attorney had made a decision NOT to file charges at all, ever, even though the SPD, or someone from the SPD, had recommended charging him with manslaughter. The police cannot file charges. Only the state attorney can do that. The first State Attorney said there was not enough evidence to support a conviction. So, there were no charges against Zimmerman, and the first State Attorney said no charges would be filed, so the "incident" was closed at the time the Governor appointed Angela Corey to take over the case.

IIRC, the first State Attorney has now decided not to run for re-election next time.

The Zimmerman case has never been Angela Corey's only focus. She is the State Attorney for the 4th Judicial Circuit. She has an office full of attorneys working for her, plus investigators, and other staff. She is responsible basically for all the cases in her circuit. She delegates tasks to attorneys. If you saw the bail hearing in this case, you got a chance to see probably the lead attorney from the State Attorney's Office. Because this is a high profile case, I have no doubt that Ms. Corey will make appearances and keep a close eye on this prosecution.

But again, Corey was appointed because the original State Attorney had made the decision to NOT file charges in this case and was coming under fire from the public after the public became aware of the case.

Obviously Corey took 20 days to re-investigate the case before filing charges. As every other state attorney in Florida, she had to see what the evidence there was out there and make the determination whether or not there was enough evidence to support a conviction.

Did you even read the link I posted?

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 05-24-2012 at 02:41 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
He seemed to have been focused on YOUNG black males, not all black males. So it appears that he may very well have been profiling specifically YOUNG black males.
No doubt he was profiling and police do it all the time. If a blond haired white male approx 30 yrs old robbed you, wouldn't you be looking at every blond white male approx 30 ? It is human nature.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Yes, it's new. Also, immediately after that info was posted, someone came in and said who would believe the girlfriend of someone like Trayvon, although they said it with more "passion." I believe the post is in this thread about the new info. This info came up in her interview with the DA. I don't know how many statement she has given, or if she has given more than one.

Here's the post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24427043-post3741.html
I think you linked to the wrong post, but I'll take your word for it.

The gf talked to the Martin's lawyer, gave a tv interview, and may have given other statements. If her claim that Trayvon said get off get off doesn't show up until the final interview, I have to wonder.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 AM

812 posts, read 595,468 times
Quote:
And this ^^^^ is just extreme right-wing BS, most likely at least partially C&P'd from somewhere. And it is most certainly extremely insulting to black people!

clearly you seem to be ignorant of the facts of the past. One doesn't have to have lived through racism of the past, Jim Crow laws, etc. to know that they existed and the effect they have had on people, and to know that racism still exists. As I've said before, you would do well to at least read a little history.

Anyway, what does all this have to do with Zimmerman killing Martin? No hate crime charges have been filed against Zimmerman, so why do you keep posting about black people and what you perceive to be "their problems"?
Because you and yours are making it about race or the discussion would not be happening in the first place. Furthermore, there is a large contingent of conservative black people doing very well for themselves that are like myself generally color blind that would sign on to every word I have written. Stick with your handlers and live in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies