Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
As for proving Zimmerman's statement to be a lie, what I believe can be proven is that Zimmerman has a propensity to deceive, because he contradicted himself on the witness stand in his bail hearing. He stated that he thought Martin was "about" his age, or something like "I thought he was a little young than me," when he had clearly stated to the dispatcher that night that Martin was a teenager, which is nowhere near 28 years old. The state has said that Zimmerman's sworn statements given after the incident are inconsistent and contradictory, which would indicate that he may have lied and got his story mixed up. I would be convinced he is telling the truth if his story were consistent and if it made more sense. But, the bottom line is the State will test his credibility with everything they have. Zimmerman's own attorney is in accordance with the State regarding releasing the sworn statements he has given as well as releasing emails and text messages that Zimmerman sent and received because he believes they will bias a potential jury panel.

The bolded portion of your post is really significant in my opinion.

The "most easily available" form of relief??? Really? Let me ask you this: Would you believe every single person who claimed being in fear for their life when they killed somebody in which a physical fight was in involved? Do you think there is no reason to test their credibility?

Do you think it could ever happen that someone might provoke a fight with someone whom they didn't like, then kill them and then claim they were in fear for their life? How easy would it be for 'enemies" to get you with that sort situation? How easy would it be to inflict some wounds and claim you received them in the fight? Not saying Zimmerman self-inflicted the wounds, but I am saying the wounds certainly did not appear to be life threatening.
So one has to wait until ones head is actually split open and bleeding to be in fear for ones life? Having your head banged against the ground by a guy sitting on your chest is not enough to make a reasonable person fear for their life until their head actually cracks? Hmmm.
If someone is strangling you, at what point does that become life threatening? If you shoot the strangler just before you would have fallen unconscious, how life threatening will your wounds look? If someone is running at you with a hatchet, and you manage to shoot & kill them just before they actually swing it at your head, will your injuries demonstrate your level of jeopardy?

There is no law I know of that requires one be bleeding to death or near asphyxiation before they can use lethal force to defend themselves. I believe the standard is a reasonable fear for ones life. Do you honestly believe that having your head banged against the ground repeatedly by a person straddling your chest would NOT cause you to fear for your life?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I've already posted the report filed by the Sanford Police Dept several times. It clearly says that Martin was unarmed and there is no evidence whatsoever that points to him committing any criminal activity. How many times do I need to post it here?

I had several sources, but I just had to use Google and here's a quote from USA Today.

"The encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement, or conversely, if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog in an effort to dispel each party's concern," the report says. "There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity at the time of the encounter."

Nobody really knows what happened (except for George Zimmerman) after the 2 met and exchanged words, but Trayvon Martin was only walking home from a convenient store which has been proven by the surveillance video, since it was taken only minutes before he was shot.
Smack yourself in the head all you want; it doesn't change the facts. While there is no evidence that Martin was committing any crime when Zimmerman called the police, there is also no evidence that Zimmerman is lying about Martin attacking him. If Zimmerman's account is true, then Martin DID commit a crime by attacking Zimmereman.

The fact is, we have evidence that Martin committed a crime. That evidence is dismissed by many people because of the source. While it should absolutely be questioned and thoroughly investigated, if it cannot be disproved, then don't we have to assume Zimmerman is the one who committed no crime?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Smack yourself in the head all you want; it doesn't change the facts. While there is no evidence that Martin was committing any crime when Zimmerman called the police, there is also no evidence that Zimmerman is lying about Martin attacking him. If Zimmerman's account is true, then Martin DID commit a crime by attacking Zimmereman.

The fact is, we have evidence that Martin committed a crime. That evidence is dismissed by many people because of the source. While it should absolutely be questioned and thoroughly investigated, if it cannot be disproved, then don't we have to assume Zimmerman is the one who committed no crime?
Zimmerman is the one who will stand trial for murder. Trayvon is in the cemetary. He is not going to be tried.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I have said nothing at all about any of those things. The only thing I have attacked is many fertile imaginations of what happened. So many literally conjure up images in their minds and present them as proof judge jury and executioner. What is so hard about this. Msnbc Trayvon the angelic versus Zimmerman the devil and all points in between and generally just a pinch to a pound of racism on both sides.
Tell me my fellow human being. Who invaded whoms space? Can you answer that simple question. My friend it does not matter if I follow you from Tennessee to kentucky, stand outside your door on public property, shout the n word so that every light in the neighborhood comes on stick my fingers in my ears wave them and shout neener neener! The law will not permit you to jump straddle of me and pound my head in the pavement

I may deserve it and nine of ten people might jump straddle of me and pound my head in the pavement. However, under those circumstances, if I pull out a gun and shoot you dead in threat of my life I should not go to jail. Whether you are 10 or 100 yrs old. What is so hard about this? I will tell you what I suspect is so hard! Politically motivated racism. I am sorry for Travon but if I were a juror z would get no time so long as he did not invade this young mans body space. That is the way it will go down...any bets?
(In re the bolded portion of your post) The "law" would come and arrest you though for stalking and harassment and disturbing the peace, and possibly many other violations!

You'd never make it on the Zimmerman jury. Zimmerman entered Trayvon's space! Deal with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Zimmerman is the one who will stand trial for murder. Trayvon is in the cemetary. He is not going to be tried.
Yes. And?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
If someone is strangling you, at what point does that become life threatening? If you shoot the strangler just before you would have fallen unconscious, how life threatening will your wounds look? If someone is running at you with a hatchet, and you manage to shoot & kill them just before they actually swing it at your head, will your injuries demonstrate your level of jeopardy?
Yes, I agree. So let's continue using your logic with another example.

Someone is following you in an SUV, so you try to lose him. He then gets out of his car and starts chasing you. You run away and hide in back of some buildings thinking you lost this creepy person and suddenly he's in your face shouting and he has a gun. At what point do you defend yourself from this maniac?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Someone is following you, you try to lose him. He then gets out of his car and starts chasing you. You run away and hide in back of some buildings and suddenly he's in your face shouting and he has a gun. At what point do you defend yourself from this maniac?
Immediately, of course. If that's what happened in the Martin Zimmerman case, it's unfortunate that there is no evidence of it.

Actually, I should say no evidence I have seen. Perhaps the prosecution has some evidence they have not released to the public. If indeed this is how the events of that night unfolded, I hope there is some way to prove it and send Zimmerman to prison where he would belong. But I haven't seen any such evidence. Have you?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Someone is following you in an SUV, so you try to lose him. He then gets out of his car and starts chasing you. You run away and hide in back of some buildings thinking you lost this creepy person and suddenly he's in your face shouting and he has a gun. At what point do you defend yourself from this maniac?
By the way, why do people keep saying that Zimmerman was following Martin in his SUV? From the police call I heard, Zimmerman was sitting in his stationary vehicle, watching Martin who at one point, according to Zimmerman on that very call, was looking at and coming toward him in that vehicle. From where do we learn that Zimmerman was stalking him in his SUV? Did I miss something here?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
I've already posted the report filed by the Sanford Police Dept several times. It clearly says that Martin was unarmed and there is no evidence whatsoever that points to him committing any criminal activity. How many times do I need to post it here?

I had several sources, but I just had to use Google and here's a quote from USA Today.

"The encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement, or conversely, if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog in an effort to dispel each party's concern," the report says. "There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity at the time of the encounter."

Nobody really knows what happened (except for George Zimmerman) after the 2 met and exchanged words, but Trayvon Martin was only walking home from a convenient store which has been proven by the surveillance video, since it was taken only minutes before he was shot.

Apparently it will have to be posted for people who don't keep up with the thread and don't read links until the trial is over. In fact, even then you may still be posting it. It has been enlightening to see how emotionally invested some people are in justifying the killing of Trayvon Martin, and overlooking all
records of Zimmerman's aggression and dishonesty in the process. It's very
interesting that one facet of this incident concerns Zimmerman's stories not being corroborated by the forensic evidence. We'll see if the judge grants the media's request to open some records.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
Quote:

The aggressor, Martin, had what's known as a "***** moment" A "***** moment" is described as a "A moment where ignorance overwhelms the logic of an otherwise rational negro man." If a person is allegedly shouting in your face and he has a gun, you don't try to beat his head into a pulp like the aggressor Martin did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies