Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Personally, I think that GZ is a mixed bag; a loose cannon in a way. I don't think that he went out looking for someone initially but I do believe that when he saw TM it triggered his "mall cop" mentality: "what;s this Black dude doing in MY neighborhood?" He strikes me as the type who doesn't things through before acting and this time it had fatal consequences.

If it was an accident then he should have just said that it was an accident. But I don't believe his self defense story. I just don't. He inititated the incident and engaged TM instead of letting the Sanford Police do their job.

Another thing that he kept repeating was: "I didn't know he was a kid" which suggests that he thought he was picking a fight with someone his own age because why would his age matter if he truly felt that his life was threatened.
Honestly...I don't know. Wasn't the neighborhood highly mixed, if not majority black? And didn't Zimmerman have a number of black friends? And didn't he also lead or support some movement to get justice for some black guy? I don't recall the specifics, there have been so many posts.

Wasn't there only 1-2 minutes between the time the shot was fired and the time the first cop showed up? That doesn't give George, who we both agree is no genius, much time to come up with a story. He is an idiot for talking to the cops w/o a lawyer.

I agree with you on the last part...but taking a life under any circumstances isn't an easy thing for any normal person. I expect he was in a bit of shock (call it PTST if you like) over the whole thing.

I think that Zimmerman was just trying to keep an eye on Martin until the cops showed. I think Martin was offended (and I don't really blame him) and confronted Zimmerman, perhaps looking for a fight. And I do believe Zimmerman shot in what he felt was self defense. BUT I'll readily admit that I could be wrong and will change my opinion if other evidence comes out. Lousy situation all around.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not necessarily accepting Zimmerman's scenario. I am, however, countering your tenant that he should have "pistol whipped" Martin, rather than shooting him. If he was not in fear for his life, he had no reason to "pistol whip" him. If he did, I'm simply pointing out that doing as you say would seem to me to be a very poor self defense tactic.

In a self defense scenario, you don't shoot to scare, or to wound, or to kill. You shoot to stop the attack. Or at least every CCW class I have ever taken teaches that. You are also taught to carry as powerful a weapon that you will carry regularly, loaded with the ammo that is most effective at stopping an attack. Any handgun is a poor defensive weapon, they have a fraction of the muzzle energy of nearly any rifle. But they are small enough and light enough to carry. A .44 mag is a much better fight stopper than a 9mm...but not many people are going to carry a 4 lb revolver every day. Expanding bullets make a marginal threat stopper a bit more effective, and also reduce the risk to innocent people. They do so by expending more energy in the body of the bad guy, rather than punching a hole out the other side and going on to hit an innocent person.

I carry a .45 semi-auto...but am thinking about switching to a 9. The 1911 is a heavy beast. Because of it's weight and bulk it's not the handiest thing to carry or conceal. The newer slimline 9mms way about 1/3 as much, and have fewer sharp edges.

Oh, it wasn't so much a tenet as a speculation, which is all that any of us can do at this point; no doubt both legal teams are reviewing info that most of us would like to see. Having looked at several gun sites to read about the Kal Tec 9, I can appreciate that it's a great weapon for CC; small and light enough to be suitable for ladies. I inherited my father's .38, which is heavy and my wrists are small...hard for me to sight. I also understand why hollow points are preferable in terms of anxillary damage, but you don't need me to explain in detail what that bullet did to Martin's heart. Had the bullet been a smaller caliber, perhaps Martin could have been saved. It'll be interesting to see if there are more leaks, and what transpires when the trial begins.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 AM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
His injuries were not life threatening. All of the evidence points in that direction.
All that proves is that he fired in time.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 AM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
I have to say that I think that George Zimmerman was a very troubled guy. The meds are a reflection of that obviously.
That's a ridiculous assumption.
Half the kids in high school take Adderall
and I have a prescription for temazipam
for occasional insomnia.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
From TM's point of view, he didn't know what GZ's motivations were either. Was he going to rob him, abduct him, stab him, try to sell him drugs, etc. Trayvon Martin was obviously the one who had more to fear because he had no idea why he was being followed by this strange man. So of course TM would try to fight off this man whom he felt was trying to do him harm. Was he just supposed to stand there and let GZ do what he wanted to him? GZ was not a police officer. GZ was not in a uniform indicating that he was an authority figure of any sort. So GZ was obvious the aggressor who approached TM without concrete cause.
The other day I was grocery shopping when I saw a short hispanic lady approaching me. I started thinking ...is she going to stab me...is she going to abduct me... sell me drugs... kick me in the nuts... I was getting ready to punch her in the nose and slam her head repeatedly against the floor until she asked me "Do you know where the bread is at?"

Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Actually, the state investigator testified that Martin's mother did in fact identify the voice as her son.

Also, here's a link to the NBC Nightly News report about info released today. It states that the gun was fired from "intermediate range" based on a report that NBC news reporter REVIEWED today. So you have CBS saying "suggesting inches" to NBC saying "intermediate range."

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com
Sorry but NBC doesn't have any credibility where this case is concerned.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sorry but NBC doesn't have any credibility where this case is concerned.
Why are you sorry? It's ^^^ just your opinion. Believe any source you want to believe, and provide quotes which contradict NBC.

IMO, your posts have little credibility in this case because of your repeated postings of enormous negative bias toward black people, and Trayvon was black.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Hate crime investigation still ongoing.

George Zimmerman Medical Report Released, Faces Possible Hate Crime Charge

Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
If it were truly self defense, then why did GZ apologize to TMs family in court? (besides trying for reduced bail)
ooo, ooo...I can answer that. The answer is because GZ didn't apologize

If a guest who attends your son's wake says "sorry for the loss of your child", it doesn't mean they're apologizing because it's their fault.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Won't happen because this wasn't in any way shape or form a hate crime. It could only be entertained as a hate crime if an eyewitness saw Zimmerman shoot Trayvon unprovoked and without any bruises or gashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies