Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That post reeks of envy...

And as someone else asked already, what business is it of yours (or anyone else's) what a person chooses to do with the money they earned and have already paid taxes on?

How about this - any money you earn above and beyond what's required to support your basic survival you must donate to the registered charity of your choice. No more iPods. No more Starbucks. No hobbies of any kind, unless they literally don't cost you a single cent to enjoy. You don't get to decide how to spend your money anymore - I've already done that for you.
It would be good for the country if the billionaires money just went back into circulation is all I'm saying. I think it's as un-American as you can get to just be handed a million dollars simply because you are related to someone who was much smarter and a harder worker than you.

That money should go into a pool to help young business owners get started or something instead of ungrateful, lazy children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,266,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It would be good for the country if the billionaires money just went back into circulation is all I'm saying. I think it's as un-American as you can get to just be handed a million dollars simply because you are related to someone who was much smarter and a harder worker than you.

That money should go into a pool to help young business owners get started or something instead of ungrateful, lazy children.
If those ungrateful kids are that bad they end up putting it back into the economy by doing stupid things like buying house, cars, planes, etc.

I'd rather the economy get it than it being wasted by the Federal Govt.

Your idea stinks.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,042,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Since 1967, the state has been Governed mostly by the GOP. For the 8 years preceding January 2011 a Republican Governor was in charge in California. Suggesting that the state's going to hell because of moderate Governor Brown less than a year and a half in office is beyond idiotic. Plain stupid. Ignorant.
What is "ignorant" is your selective memory of California politics and belief that a governor that is from the party opposed to the party that has a majority in the legislature, has much power.

Since 1970 until the present(April 2012) - both the Assembly and Senate in California have had Democratic majorities - with the exception of the 1995-1996 legislative term - when Republicans held the majority in the assembly. During that period the governors were Ronald Reagan(R) : 1967-1975, Jerry Brown(D) : 1975-1983, George Deukmejian(R) : 1983-1991, Pete Wilson(R) : 1991-1999, Gray Davis(D) : 1999-2003(I helped mercifully end his term through the recall!), Arnold Schwarzenegger(R) : 2003-2011, Jerry Brown(D) : 2011-present.

The Democrat governors had carte blanche to sign liberal legislation and the Republican governors had to fight a Democratic legislature that was(and still is) out of touch with the Californian people, has led us into debt, driven businesses out of the state, supports big government and their unions, and whom has proven themselves to be entirely incompetent to be trusted with the reigns of government.

As you have noted, four times during the past 42 years - Californians have voted for Republican leadership for the highest statewide office: governor. The liberal population centers of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento - plus the north and central coast have elected Democrats to our legislature. Comparing the individuals districts to the state is an apples to oranges(both of which California farmers grow!) proposition. California is a blue state in name only - look at the red vs. blue maps - you will see why we generally elect Republican governors. When we can reform our redistricting process and get the lines drawn fairly instead of favoring the left - then you will see the true political colors of california. Until then - sane people like me will continue to be set on fleeing this former greatest state in the union - I may even move to Texas.

What can I do though? - the Democrats have destroyed my home.

Look at California - see all the red area? We only vote Democrat because of LA, SF, the North and central Coast, Imperial County, and the Lake Tahoe area.

By the way - I live in LA - my GOP vote usually doesn't count.

Last edited by Harrier; 04-22-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Next thing we have to do is put a 95% tax on inheritance. People should make their own way in this country, not be handed millions by their parents.

Next Obama term that will be addressed.
I'm quite liberal, but this is one idea I could never get behind. Many people work hard, and make sacrifices to ensure their kids have a better life than they did. The money they've amassed has already had taxes taken out on it, yet upon death the gov't just magically gets most of it? No. The whole notion is completely absurd. The gov't has NO right to that money. They didn't earn it.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe the movie "Escape from LA' was on target. Once everyone but the gang bangers leave we just turn it into one big prison.
That's not funny. The prison industry is already running amok. Besides, I love my home state. Oh, and let's not forget that it's the 8th-largest economy in the world. What would happen to that economic engine (hamstrung as it is by the state budget) if anything remotely resembling your scenario (shudder) were to come to pass? Don't write off CA so easily.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,606,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Familiar story, liberals making a once productive and livable state, unproductive and unlivable, especially for the middle class.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
There are no "Jobs" here in California for the "Underclass"..Mr. or Ms.
200 IQ , why do you think that California has one of the "Highest" (UN)
Employment Rate" in these United States of America.I to want people
on welfare to "work myself"they at the very least can do community
service , and America would be a much better place.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm quite liberal, but this is one idea I could never get behind. Many people work hard, and make sacrifices to ensure their kids have a better life than they did. The money they've amassed has already had taxes taken out on it, yet upon death the gov't just magically gets most of it? No. The whole notion is completely absurd. The gov't has NO right to that money. They didn't earn it.
Right. The inheritance tax amounts to a double tax on the money, because income taxes were already paid on it. Still, I'm not against the gov't getting some of it. How much "some" is, is something to be haggled about. But if the gov't provides services or infrastructure or something tangible in return, it's ok if it takes out a minority percentage, imo. Remember, you don't get something for nothing, not from gov't anyway (you may from your parents or grandparents), so if we want infrastructure, public investment, federal support of state gov't, services, college scholarships and grants (upward mobility), and unemployment benefits, etc., (not to mention universal health care, dare we dream), all that has to get paid for somehow.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,945,866 times
California not only taxes it's business and people to death, but they regulate themselves out of potential revenue. I refuse to go to Ca. and be a target of their laws and regulations. I do fine without them and I am not alone. I will probably never do business in Ca again.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
California not only taxes it's business and people to death, but they regulate themselves out of potential revenue. I refuse to go to Ca. and be a target of their laws and regulations. I do fine without them and I am not alone. I will probably never do business in Ca again.
True enough. Some fine-tuning is in order.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,092 times
California has always been a state of haves and have not’s. And it doesn’t have anything to due with liberalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Familiar story, liberals making a once productive and livable state, unproductive and unlivable, especially for the middle class.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies