Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
try as you might California is a blue state. It voted 60-37 for Obama over Mcain. Its two US senators are both solidly left. It's a bastion of gun control, rent control, and other looney left ideas. Keep dreaming
I agree with you. The state has been activily moving to the left since 69. I grew up in Ca and I remember all the feel good legislation that the people bought into and voted into law. Not just the gov that causes the impending doom, the morons that voted into law these assinine welfare for all systems that caused it to crumble. It really is a simple math problem..you can't spend more than you take in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Orange and San Diego Counties are world class.

Nice try.
San Diego's purple, not red. SD and Sacramento are CA's "swing cities". SD being purple with a red tint and Sac being purple with a blue tint. They could go either way.

OC has some nice areas but it has some pretty serious problems like the rest of the southern part of the state, which, red or blue, leeches off of the productive part of the state (the Bay Area)

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I agree with you. The state has been activily moving to the left since 69. I grew up in Ca and I remember all the feel good legislation that the people bought into and voted into law. Not just the gov that causes the impending doom, the morons that voted into law these assinine welfare for all systems that caused it to crumble. It really is a simple math problem..you can't spend more than you take in.
Both the Democratic and Republican parties in California have been effectively captured by state employees. Both are very hostile to personal freedom. The Dems are somewhat more hostile to small business than the Repubs but the Repubs aren't particularly fond of small business either.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Next thing we have to do is put a 95% tax on inheritance. People should make their own way in this country, not be handed millions by their parents.

Next Obama term that will be addressed.
Sorry but this as un-American as can be to simply take a lifetime's earnings.

Maybe when I die I'll have a mill or two. I work for many reasons - and if I am fortunate to have something meaningful to pass on - I should have complete control over who it goes to with the exception of the government.

I think a reasonable topic is dynastic wealth - but not that of millions of modestly successful people who may want to pass it on to their children (who are likely to be 50+ years old) when they inherit.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There are no "Jobs" here in California for the "Underclass"..Mr. or Ms.
200 IQ , why do you think that California has one of the "Highest" (UN)
Employment Rate" in these United States of America.I to want people
on welfare to "work myself"they at the very least can do community
service , and America would be a much better place.
This is an interesting idea: community service in exchange for welfare. Something similar has been tried in some other states, they called it "workfare". You could probably research it online.

Don't forget the ultimate "Underclass" job: farmwork fieldhands. That used to be done by US citizens before it was taken over by illegal immigrants.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As the largest state in the US, it SHOULD lead in job growth, shouldn't it? But that is only in raw numbers, not in percentage.

In the meantime, unemployment stands at 11%.
It is pretty obvious that California has a unique set of problems. Housing is the big tamale of the Golden State, and it is in the tank, so....

Imagine if oil prices dropped by 60%. How would that hit Texas?

These are not things that can be fixed overnight, nor will they be.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I did not mean all were doing great, but many are. Who do you think pocketed all those insane prices for the inflated RE? If they sold at the top and moved to cheaper digs,and paid cash, they are set. They will never need to pay that back. They were also usually the realtors who sold the "RE always goes up! Get in while you can!!" bs to the younger generation.
There's some truth to what you say. My brother, a boomer, was telling me about friends of his who sold their places and moved to Kentucky or somewhere thereabouts, where houses were cheap, prop'ty taxes were reasonable, and the living was cheap. That's fine if you want to live in Hicksville, most of us don't.

I got that "real estate always goes up" jazz from a younger realtor (nearly all the realtors I saw in the Bay Area were young, but I bought in Seattle) who was buying lots, subdividing them, getting variances from the city to allow him to squeeze an extra house or two onto the property, then dividing the lot in two, and selling. The process usually involved chopping down the beautiful cedar trees for which that neighborhood in Seattle is known. HE was gradually turning a cedar-forested neighborhood with big, spacious lots and small, affordable houses, into a McMansion neighborhood, bare of trees, with shrunken lots. That's progress. Here in NM, I know young real estate agents who were, before the bubble burst, making good money on empty lots in desirable neighborhoods, teaming up with contractors to improve the property and sell for a killing. This, as a sideline to their regular RE gig.

In short, we can't lump all RE agents who might be scamming or contributing to creating the bubble, into one age-bracket. There are a lot of young, smart, quick-moving guys, weaving in and out of the system like a top hockyplayer stealing the puck and moving down the rink. Not everything is the boomers' fault, though there definitely is a boomer component. When there's seemingly easy money to be made, all the cockroaches come out of the woodwork, not just the old ones.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-23-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
try as you might California is a blue state. It voted 60-37 for Obama over Mcain. Its two US senators are both solidly left. It's a bastion of gun control, rent control, and other looney left ideas. Keep dreaming
So now those of you who whine about Obama want to blame him for California's mess? Really? Learn what you're talking about before whining.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
So now those of you who whine about Obama want to blame him for California's mess? Really? Learn what you're talking about before whining.
The mess in California is not his. It belongs to other liberals just like him, though.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The only "world class attraction" in the red area of CALIFORNIA is FRESNO and not many people are chopping at the bit to get there........
Who said Fresno was "world class"? In whose world?! Older generation Bay Area families called it a "cow town". maybe they had world-class cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies