Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

I think it is interesting that the federal government collects 6.8% from student loans and I pay 4% for my mortgage and yet there isn't enough money for the federal government but the bankers are living the 1%...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
GOOD NEWS for Students ! ! !
Quote:
PJ Media » GOP: Let’s Pay for Low Student-Loan Rates with ObamaCare Slush Fund

This afternoon, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) announced that the lower chamber will vote this Friday on a one-year extension — paid for by killing an ObamaCare slush fund.
And the taxpayers have already paid for it...
Quote:
President Obama's Medicare slush fund; Benjamin E. Sasse & Charles Hurt - NYPOST.com

Call it President Obama’s Committee for the Re-Election of the President — a political slush fund at the Health and Human Services Department.
Only this isn’t some little fund from shadowy private sources; this is taxpayer money, redirected to help Obama win another term. A massive amount of it, too — $8.3 billion. Yes, that’s billion, with a B.
So, you know... now it'll be up to the 'We don't need no stinkin' budget' Senate.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You can't tell your kids what to do. You don't just become a mechanical engineer it takes a lot of hard work, work which many don't want to do in today's day and age but they want the same pay and benefits that somebody who does put in the work gets. There lies the problem.
That is just not true.....maybe for a few but not the majority. And shame on you for spreading this. Do you have kids in college....do you know their friends.
The problem is people like you that think they know it all but actually have no idea what they are talking about Yes, there lies the problem.....you

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Yes shame on me for spreading reality. Better to listen to the MSM and liberals spew their nonsense in place of reality to reel folks in like apparently they have done to you.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Yes shame on me for spreading reality. Better to listen to the MSM and liberals spew their nonsense in place of reality to reel folks in like apparently they have done to you.
Ok I told you my reality which you don't buy. So give me numbers to support your reality.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I prefer to help the children I put on the earth first. You take care of your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I helped my 2 sons through school without anyones help (they worked). I'm not really interested in giving anyone else a free ride.

People who are concerned about the cost can start in a Community College then work their way to a local State school. It's not the expensive.

Community College and state schools are a form of subsidized education.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2012 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It was paid for by borrowing more debt. If I give you money to be a provider, and then I charge you a fee, its MY money, you arent paying it
When we run a deficit, anything the Govt pays for is partially paid for by borrowed money. Is there some point you are trying to make? Now Boehner says the extention of rate reduction can be paid for from ACA "Slush Fund". Now there is some "good" Repub leadership for you. What is that "Slush Fund" he is talking about?

John Boehner Flat Out Lies On Student Loans As He Capitulates To Obama - Forbes

Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
I needed about 10k a year of Stafford loans to pay for college, now that I’m graduating this spring my school requires my department to take a internship course which is 12 credits. Since I already exploited my 4years (8 semesters) of Pell grants, I need to loan my total tuition for my internship, which is 5k. I attend a small state university that isn’t expensive as most big universities (about 16k yearly) so I’m not in as much debt as some people who went to the Penn States & University of Pittsburgh. So I have to take a 5k Stafford loan for my internship FML!!!

But anyways; sorry republicans I don't have an extra 5k in cash laying around maybe I should drop out and work at Wal-Mart! GOP you suck!
Maybe you should have gone to one of those more expensive schools. Please explain to us how it's the GOP's fault that your school is now requiring you to do an internship that will require you to shell out $5000 for those extra credits.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Should Congress extend the low rates on student loans ? What are the consequences if they don't ? Is it worth funding ? What is the proper role of the federal government in funding access to higher education ? And what about the actual field of studies - should the government invest more in an electrical engineer, pre-med student, computer scientist vs. a liberal arts student ?

"Republicans have been grousing over the $6-billion cost to keep the loans at the 3.4% rate for another year. The legislation was first approved in 2007 and is set to expire July 1, which would result in a doubling of interest rates to 6.8% for about 7 million students."GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney this week threw his support behind keeping interest rates low, and Republicans appear to be reluctant to pick a fight in an election year over an issue that resonates with middle-class households.

“I don't think anybody believes this interest rate ought to be allowed to rise. The question is, how do you pay for it?” said Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the GOP leader. “How long do you do the extension?”
It should be interesting to note, that this particular legislation was actually a democrat bill. It's also interesting to note, that their proposal is ending at a certain time, that happens to coincide with upcoming elections.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is now the latest attack from the GOP, they have declared war on students.
You do realize the original hike in 2007 was a Democrat sponsored bill?

Sen. Obama was "not present" at both votes in 2007?

Now suddenly it's a right-wing attack because the rate reduction is set to expire in July of 2012 - per the bill as originally written??

Congrats on being a useful idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies