Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is now the latest attack from the GOP, they have declared war on students.
No, this is just another fake Democratic talking point in order to get dumb people to just whine and cry.

Tell me TempesT.. what did the GOP do to cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Hi RCCCB,

You are correct, but wouldn't you prefer a low interest rate to a high one. If you take Obama out of the equation, there has always (well maybe not always, but in the last 10 -15 years) been and will always be a lack of opportunity in this country. Of course it depends on what type of opportunities one is seeking.
Tell me why stuid loan interest rates should be lower than many peoples property loans? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You sound like a ten year old. Who said the rate hikes have happened?

If you can't remember your own post don't try to insult others. YOU claimed we are falling behind, not me.

Again I ask, if our colleges are so bad, why do so many foreigners come HERE for their college education?
What the hell does that have to do with interest rate hikes? Did you forget your pill today?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
The Repubs got the #DontDoubleMyRate message, Boehner says will have House vote on extending the Student lower rate Friday.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Repubs got the #DontDoubleMyRate message, Boehner says will have House vote on extending the Student lower rate Friday.
The GOP never threatened the rate hike.. Democrats wrote the bill that would double the rates

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The GOP never threatened the rate hike.. Democrats wrote the bill that would double the rates
The Dems and quite a few Repubs passed the bill that lowered the rate for 5 years, the Dems are leading the effort to extend that. Hopefully there are enough Repubs left to get it extended.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
major: Hotel Management
minor: Labor relations

I have a internship with a a four diamond property, and without affordable student loans someone in my financial situation can forget it... Maybe i should have just became a machinist like the guy below says....

There is nothing wrong with that but I don't want to be a machinist, I feel that I have a lot more to offer to society than working in a factory.
Clue: Perhaps having marketable skills which allow you to obtain employment while you pursue your dream career would be both more responsible and realistic rather than "hoping" for a job in your chosen field to get out of your accumulated student loan debt?

Just sayin......the more involved the government is in guaranteeing financing for students the higher colleges are able to hike tuitions.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
College costs are going up for many reasons, but one of them is DEMAND. More people want to go to college than ever, because everyone, including the president, say its imperative for personal and national success. Yet so many graduates don't have a job that can pay enough to repay their loans. The pay just isn't very good for art history, literature, or theology graduates.

So many people would be financially better off if they became machinists instead. They can earn $60K per year in the USA right now.
The difference...anyone can get a degree in art history, literature or theology, let alone "gender studies" or social services. Not everyone can make it as a machinist.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The difference...anyone can get a degree in art history, literature or theology, let alone "gender studies" or social services. Not everyone can make it as a machinist.
Are you a machinist?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
I'm jealous, I'm paying 7% on my student loan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies