Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

It is the people in school that will get this Country out of the mess we have created. It would behoove us to get them as much Education as they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
When we run a deficit, anything the Govt pays for is partially paid for by borrowed money. Is there some point you are trying to make? Now Boehner says the extention of rate reduction can be paid for from ACA "Slush Fund". Now there is some "good" Repub leadership for you. What is that "Slush Fund" he is talking about?

John Boehner Flat Out Lies On Student Loans As He Capitulates To Obama - Forbes
Translation, its not paid for. Was it really that hard for you to admit we dont pay for it? In this instance, we'll just push the debt down for these kids to pay for regardless.. What difference does it make if its in higher interest for their loans, or higher interest on the debt?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It is the people in school that will get this Country out of the mess we have created. It would behoove us to get them as much Education as they want.
By putting them further into debt? That makes no sense.

Thats like saying we should give each college graduate $1M because they have to get us out of a mess that their handouts are creating

Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Just how is someone with an art history, english lit or turf management degree going to "get this country out of the mess we have created"? These sound...more like hobbies than preparing someone for jobs or to "fix problems".

Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
It is the people who use the country as their own personal credit card that has gotten the country into this mess... I find it ironic that you suggest that people with an education should use the country as their own personal credit card..

Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
By putting them further into debt? That makes no sense.

Thats like saying we should give each college graduate $1M because they have to get us out of a mess that their handouts are creating
They should not go into debt at all. They should demonstrate they have the mental capacity to complete an Education Program. We should all pay for them getting that.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
They should not go into debt at all. They should demonstrate they have the mental capacity to complete an Education Program. We should all pay for them getting that.
They shouldnt go into debt, but somehow everyone else should for their benefit, yeah, got it.. Hey, why dont we all buy them houses as well... Woo Hoo, I mean why should they have the stress of housing payments as well..

Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
I needed about 10k a year of Stafford loans to pay for college, now that I’m graduating this spring my school requires my department to take a internship course which is 12 credits. Since I already exploited my 4years (8 semesters) of Pell grants, I need to loan my total tuition for my internship, which is 5k. I attend a small state university that isn’t expensive as most big universities (about 16k yearly) so I’m not in as much debt as some people who went to the Penn States & University of Pittsburgh. So I have to take a 5k Stafford loan for my internship FML!!!

But anyways; sorry republicans I don't have an extra 5k in cash laying around maybe I should drop out and work at Wal-Mart! GOP you suck!
There are, undoubtedly, a few arch-traditionalists here who would suggest you repay your obligations via an "internship" at a place where you can't get out, and liquor, drugs and (especially!) lawyers can't get in, but I wouldn't go that far.

Still, Mr. Toyman's post:

Quote:
The rates should be such that the program, after inception, is self funding. As long as graduates are making their payments, and the loans prove to be low risk, the rates can be low. If, like any other loan, borrowers default, the rates need to increase to cover the costs associated with the delinquent payers.

I'd suggest, like insurance, that some form of "actuary" proces is set up to evaluate the repayment history for various majors. And that future loans and interest rates be based on that data. If you have history or art appreciation majors with, for example, a 90% default rate, they should be paying a higher interest rate than say an engineering or medical student with say a 10% default rate.
gets uncomfortably close to the root cause of the issue.

Every recent generation, including mine, which is thirty-five years ahead of yours, has its share of people who expect a cushy, no-real-work job immediately after four or more years of intellectual fingerpainting, but the ready availablity of student debt and the distortions caused by too much blind egalitarianism within the shelter of the Beltway have accentuated the problem in recent years.

I'm one of the people who found his way "back to the starting gate" via another route ... the company I worked for for twenty years imploded after being caught up in the "phony boom" of recent years. So I work seasonally -- peaks only -- in a warehouse with a "fast pace" atmosphere. My raw production numbers aren't that good, but at certain times of the year, we nesd all the help we can get; unfortunately for all of us, that's the way things have to work in a globalized economy. We will get by, but the people led to believe in a soft, easy-credit lifestyle will have a long learning curve ahead of them.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-26-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just how is someone with an art history, english lit or turf management degree going to "get this country out of the mess we have created"? These sound...more like hobbies than preparing someone for jobs or to "fix problems".
Well, Thomas Edison's eduction consisted primarily of his mother teaching from a book on natural philosophy. What does that tell you?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Well, Thomas Edison's eduction consisted primarily of his mother teaching from a book on natural philosophy. What does that tell you?
So what you are saying is that these people dont need to go to college. Odd considering you think we should be paying for something you think they shouldnt be doing.

p.s. Edisons education came from trial and error. If there was a book on how to do what he was doing, then he wouldnt have been the inventor, would he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies