Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
This was a non-event except for the coverage of the confrontations between police and protesters. Please find indepth coverage ANYWHERE regarding protester demands. Minimal at best.

Even the OWS "streaming BS" covered little of the message, but most of the confrontations. Hell,...there was one thread on C-D totally devoted to a one-line synopsis of all the protesters' activities, ....INCLUDING the DEATH of a protester that didn't happen.

So much for credibility......
You do understand that the media is NOT on our side right? How are protesters supposed to get air time on major networks if the networks choose not to cover it?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
In other words you're going to elect DEMOCRATS.
No. Our generation is hopefully beyond blind partisan politics. Many of us are fed up with BOTH parties.

We just believe in the well-being of our country and have seen failed policies and learned from them.

Which do you disagree with? Hopefully your willing to let express your beliefs using reason.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but here's a list I'd say is pretty accurate talking to others in my social circle.

- A strong will to invest in OUR country and to pull out of nation building in other countries.
- An end to the Military Industrial Complex and massive cuts to defence
- Universal healthcare or some form of it
- Reduction in education cost
- Some form of legislation to address student loan debt (it has not surpassed credit card debt)
- A push (NOT through legislation) to reduce the size of corporations and investment in small business
- Social equality under the law (marriage equality, racial equality)
- Killing the Patriot Act
- Killing NDAA
- Legalization of Marijuana
- Reducing the number of incarcerated Americans by sending those convicted of possession crimes to rehab rather than jail
- Funding alternative fuel research
- Cutting our dependence on oil
- Funding construction projects to improve our countries infastructure (high speed rail connecting regions)
- Funding public transportation projects

Those are a few policies I feel that most Millenials would be for. Again, I can't speak for an entire generation, but I'd say as a majority, those policy positions would be universally agreed upon.
You failed to include free housing, free food, a car in every garage, and a chicken in every pot........

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Anybody track the NATO protest this past weekend? I'm sure many of you are on hear complaining about the wars and the economy but will be the FIRST to throw stones at the protesters the weekend. I'm not saying this is the position of all Boomers, but how do you expect things to change when your doing nothing to make your voice heard??
Me.

This is where you go wrong again and again, BTW. You've made up your mind and drawn conclusions about something before there's even time for the evidence to come in. You think you know the "Truth".

You don't. The truth is too elusive for many of us to truly own it.

p.s. Mircea is so explaining it all for you. Quit the urge to take up a defensive position on everything and find out what you can learn from him.

(Media coverage of the protests stunk. Pity.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-21-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Our generation still doesn't have a majority vote on most issues. The Boomers hold all positions of power (we can't appoint Millenial representatives), control the media (which influences all elections), and have the financial means to promote their agenda/platform.

The voting power is clearly in the hands of the Boomers.

Anybody track the NATO protest this past weekend? I'm sure many of you are on hear complaining about the wars and the economy but will be the FIRST to throw stones at the protesters the weekend. I'm not saying this is the position of all Boomers, but how do you expect things to change when your doing nothing to make your voice heard??
One has to be 25 to be a member of the US House of Reps. The oldest Millennials are now 34. People born in 1987 are turning 25 this year. People born in 1994 are old enough to vote. Now I'll grant you, at 25, most people are still busy getting established in a career, so unless their intended career is politics, they're not out running for elective office, especially not federal office. I did come across something yesterday that said most male politicians start running for public office in their late 20s (women later), so certainly there should be some Millennial city council people, county comissioners and the like out there by now. Also, there are the generation Xers between the BBs and the Mills, the oldest of which are now 47, well into their political careers.

I didn't watch the NATO protests except on the local news. I haven't been on any NATO threads to see who is complaining; I'd be willing to bet it's a lot of Gen Xers. In any event, we Boomers saw, and in some cases participated in, other protests. My college had some weekly protest, on Wednesdays, I believe, against the Viet Nam war. It was all pretty low-key at my college, the University of Pittsburgh, but things got pretty wild up at Penn State where my brother was. FWIW.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I didn't watch the NATO protests except on the local news. I haven't been on any NATO threads to see who is complaining; I'd be willing to bet it's a lot of Gen Xers. In any event, we Boomers saw, and in some cases participated in, other protests. My college had some weekly protest, on Wednesdays, I believe, against the Viet Nam war. It was all pretty low-key at my college, the University of Pittsburgh, but things got pretty wild up at Penn State where my brother was. FWIW.
From what I saw the NATO protesters knew diddly-squat about protesting. They needed a few Boomers as advisers on organizing, tactics and media focus.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
No. Our generation is hopefully beyond blind partisan politics. Many of us are fed up with BOTH parties.

We just believe in the well-being of our country and have seen failed policies and learned from them.
You've learned from failed policies?

Then why does your list look the way it does?

It's the perfect recipe for increasing deficits and debt at an alarming rate.

How does your list differ from that of the Democratic Party?

The similarities are staggering.

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but here's a list I'd say is pretty accurate talking to others in my social circle.

- A strong will to invest in OUR country and to pull out of nation building in other countries.
- An end to the Military Industrial Complex and massive cuts to defence
- Universal healthcare or some form of it
- Reduction in education cost
- Some form of legislation to address student loan debt (it has not surpassed credit card debt)
- A push (NOT through legislation) to reduce the size of corporations and investment in small business
- Social equality under the law (marriage equality, racial equality)
- Killing the Patriot Act
- Killing NDAA
- Legalization of Marijuana
- Reducing the number of incarcerated Americans by sending those convicted of possession crimes to rehab rather than jail
- Funding alternative fuel research
- Cutting our dependence on oil
- Funding construction projects to improve our countries infastructure (high speed rail connecting regions)
- Funding public transportation projects
- The reduction of poverty in this country
- Improvement of our inner cities and rural areas plagued by poverty
- The reduction of government employees
- Seeking real solutions to end the drug war and to reduce addiction
- Increased financial sector regulation
- Outlawing commercial banks from risky investments
- Increasing taxes on the wealthy

Those are a few policies I feel that most Millenials would be for. Again, I can't speak for an entire generation, but I'd say as a majority, those policy positions would be universally agreed upon.

Anyone want to explain to this guy why this is unsustainable?

And how it is nearly a carbon copy of the platform of the Democratic Party?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
From what I saw the NATO protesters knew diddly-squat about protesting. They needed a few Boomers as advisers on organizing, tactics and media focus.
To do it Boomer style you have to be willing to go up against the Blue Meanies and get some head cracking. Each generation has to pay it's dues.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
In other words you're going to elect DEMOCRATS.
or maybe some Libertarians

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
To do it Boomer style you have to be willing to go up against the Blue Meanies and get some head cracking. Each generation has to pay it's dues.
And take off the masks. Makes me wonder if they're afraid Mom and Dad will see them and cut off the money.

(Because, let's face it, the authorities already knows who they are.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies