Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Arguing that morality and law should or are separate is a demonstration of willfull ignorance.
But morality is also a premise of "Sharia".

Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Words and their meanings change over time.
Some do, yes. But they should never be forced to be changed because a small minority insists upon it - especially when the word in question is one that describes a fundamental institution of society. If people eventually want to redefine the word they can do so democratically. Until then, you are only complaining that people won't do what you insist they do against their will.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I have a feeling this is going to make alot of North Carolinians lean towards Obama.
A lot of North Carolinans already leaned towards Obama - in fact many of his supporters voted for Amendment One. And isn't it interesting that until just today - the president refused to publicly support gay marriage. Your premise - while technically true - is a bit faulty.

Last edited by Harrier; 05-09-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM

112 posts, read 123,543 times
Gays being awarded the same rights as straights = Help! They're imposing their gayness on us!

Homophobes actually imposing their religious views on gays through law = ...what they deserve?

Can't explain that brilliant reasoning. 'Tis a mystery, like the tides.

Quote:
I will again ask you to do your own research. I will not do so for you. Act like a grownup and stop whining because you can't have a toy.
You claim, you prove.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
Gays being awarded the same rights as straights = Help! They're imposing their gayness on us!
Didn't ya notice how much deeper our tans got when the Civil Rights Act was passed?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
You claim, you prove.
I am not being asked to prove anything - I am being asked for the source of a definition. Do you deny that marriage has a definition? If I did what burdell asked - I could be asked to give the source of the definition of every word in the dictionary - which I won't do because I have better things to do. Burdell wants to know the source of the word - Burdell can do the research by his/herself.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Serious question; do any of you think homosexuals would do better to not use the term, "marriage"? I mean if they lobbied for all the rights of marriage but not use the word, would they be more successful?
It's not our fault the term "marriage" was attached to the law, and it certainly doesn't mean we should be denied access to said law.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Thank the good Lord Jesus and people of NC the ban has been passed! Liberals think they have won the war over this country. Yeah right! The war is JUST beginning. Republicans are going to take back this country one by one!!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
It forces me to recognize the validity of a relationship that I don't believe is valid. It is the imposition of another persons view of morality on myself. My position is clear: gays can have their relationships - I disagree, but I'm not willing to legislate my view(not quite Taliban-like, is it?) I support civil unions - and defend there enforcement in our courts. I draw the line at marriage - and doing so is not violating any civil rights. It is stating that the word marriage has a definition and that our laws should recognize that definition.
It does no such thing.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
I am not being asked to prove anything - I am being asked for the source of a definition. Do you deny that marriage has a definition? If I did what burdell asked - I could be asked to give the source of the definition of every word in the dictionary - which I won't do because I have better things to do. Burdell wants to know the source of the word - Burdell can do the research by his/herself.

Well then WHY claim a word shouldn't be redefined if you don't know the souce of the definition in the first place? What makes you so sure the definition has any vaildity to start with?

BTW, you've claimed marriage is a contract, since when are contracts not subject to revision(i. e. redefinition)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies