Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

There have been several threads on City Data which discuss racism within the gay community.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...so-racist.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...inorities.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
A kid from Arkansas used to pick on me in school.

I hereby endorse full disenfranchisement of all Arkansans.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
A kid from Arkansas used to pick on me in school.

I hereby endorse full disenfranchisement of all Arkansans.
Does this include the Clintons?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.

Since I am sure you are alone as one of the black gays, which there must be many of , on this thread I wonder if you aren't getting some of what you talk about pitched right back at you. I have always wondered why I never see any blacks in the groups of LGBT celebrators and maybe you are telling why you wouldn't be in the group.

I will accept the fact that you are gay because you just are that way and really feel sorry for you being both gay and black since I really believe that the white gays don't really want you around. Why in hell can't those people accept all like them without letting race into the equation? I guess they think they make up a bigger sector of this nation's population than blacks. I hope that Obama learns that that kind of reasoning is wrong this fall. Can he be elected with the loss of the number of blacks he drove away with today's words? I hope that blacks of both sexual persuasions see what he has done and let him know about it at the polls.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Does this include the Clintons?
I think they're New Yorkers now. Or Washingtonians. Who can keep up? But sure. Why not. If we're painting with broad brushes, why hold back?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
A 19 yo complaining about "gentrifying" and alluding to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...um, could be for real but I have my doubts. <g>

Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think they're New Yorkers now. Or Washingtonians. Who can keep up? But sure. Why not. If we're painting with broad brushes, why hold back?
Too funny

Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Hi Dark Surge,

I've finally found someone that feels the same way I do.

I feel its kind of appauling that gays want the same rights as straights and run around gay pride celebrations with a thongs on trying to claim their civil rights. When women want to protest and have their celebrations they dont act like that. Blacks and Latinos don't do that either. Why do Gays?

The racism is dispecatable. I have a harder time relating to White Gay men than I do Straight White men. The first time I was called the n word to my face was in Boystown. Too many times going to the White Gay clubs I feel a negative energy towards me. I can't figure out why except racism.

Since coming to Chicago, I've wondered why so many Black Gay men don't want to associate with Gay White men and now I see why. Then we have the question why do Black Gays have their own pride celebration. Its because of the racism from the Gay White community. Some will even say that they cant be racist because they are gay. (thanks to the idea that gay is the new black).

As far as people having preferences I don't have a problem with that. I prefer Black men. I don't believe in mistreating someone because of their skin color or they may be different demographic than who I am attracted to sexually. I've heard many Elderly White Gay men, Lesbians and Hispanics write and speak on the same issues that divides the Gay community.

Gay community has to accept others before others accept them. The gay community has to clean themselves up from sexual promiscuity, drug abuse and racism before they can ask for others to accept.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM

446 posts, read 649,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since I am sure you are alone as one of the black gays, which there must be many of , on this thread I wonder if you aren't getting some of what you talk about pitched right back at you.
Precisely. One thing I've said for a long time is that people don't like uncomfortable truths, liberal and conservative. That's why I've found myself sliding slightly to the right politically (though still left-leaning), because the sheer hypocrisy of so many "progressives" is disgusting. I've received more racist horse manure from the left than the right! A friendly message to progressives, especially the gay ones: Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, y'all!

Quote:
I have always wondered why I never see any blacks in the groups of LGBT celebrators and maybe you are telling why you wouldn't be in the group.
Ding ding. I have talked to many of my fellow blacks about gay rights, and many have said they'd be more keen on the idea of gay rights, but only after they fix the racism towards us, and stop thinking we're "below" them.

Quote:
I will accept the fact that you are gay because you just are that way and really feel sorry for you being both gay and black since I really believe that the white gays don't really want you around. Why in hell can't those people accept all like them without letting race into the equation? I guess they think they make up a bigger sector of this nation's population than blacks.
I've been trying to figure that out since 2007, and still don't know.

Quote:
I hope that Obama learns that that kind of reasoning is wrong this fall. Can he be elected with the loss of the number of blacks he drove away with today's words? I hope that blacks of both sexual persuasions see what he has done and let him know about it at the polls.
Oh, believe me, I plan to write someone in this November. Perhaps I'll write in Wile E. Coyote. I sure as salt would have more faith in him than Obama, by this point.

You and I don't normally agree, but you hit the center of the bullseye with this entire post. Never thought I'd say this, but I repped you.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.
So there are racist gays and you want to punish all of them?

You have a great point that there are many gays fighting for equal rights who themselves hold prejudices but you have an unfair reasoning here.

You're 19? I will smile when you flunk out of calculous at school, because it doesn't seem you have a good grasp of logical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies