Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Really, really bad justification, OP.

But..."19 years old" says it all. Classic case of, "come talk to us in 10 years."

Here's a hint: If you approach someone with a chip on your shoulder, don't expect positive feedback. I'm sorry you can't find a man. Attitude and confidence can go a long way. Try it sometime.

And gentrification? Really? I suppose letting neighborhoods rot and decay is the better answer. Or maybe you want tax money to go towards fixing up neighborhoods in communities where the residents have proven themselves unfit to be the caretakers of same? (Oh, not too mention, white dudes aren't the only gays buying in gayborhoods!)

Interracial relationships appear to be of higher frequency in the gay community than the straight community. White people in general ALWAYS date less outside of their race than other races. I know at least two white gay guys who EXCLUSIVELY date black guys. Won't even consider a white guy. Perhaps they are being RACIST against their own kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM

446 posts, read 649,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Here's a hint: If you approach someone with a chip on your shoulder, don't expect positive feedback. I'm sorry you can't find a man. Attitude and confidence can go a long way. Try it sometime.
Tried it for many years. Still got treated horridly, because the facts were, they (not just gay people, but most everyone) looked down on me based on class, looks, hobbies, et cetera. Simple fact is, "confidence" and "attitude" don't matter a bit if people look down on you in the first place. Nice try though.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Weird and illogical reasoning. Maybe as you get older, you'll become more rational in your thinking.

Gotta agree with you on this one. If this person is what he claims and has experienced what he claims, flipping on gay marriage overnight as a direct result seems a little suspect. I'm really not sure how one impacts the other.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.
Your reasoning seems as flawed as your lifestyle.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM

633 posts, read 1,645,413 times
race and sexual orientaion dont mix... how stupid is this...

Get real you live in state that is messed up... I go to a gay club that crowded with people getting along whites, asian puerto ricans jamaicans and I happened to be the only Assyrian person there... we all get along not much of racism... the owner is white and we mostly do Latin nights and we still get blacks and whites and some asian coming on in dancing to reggaeton and salsa and sometime latin night we put reggae and dancehall... we know how to party.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
I am so sick of this " Equal Rights" garbage. Every single American has the same right as everyone else.

Marriage is NOT a right.

For the record I think the federal gov needs to stay out of marriage and it should be a state issue. Which many are taking up on their own.

But ENOUGH!!! of this making up rights stuff

To the OP dont let the haters get to you, its simply because you dont agree with their way of thinking and instead of debating, some want to attack or dismiss you but remember which group is tolerant *wink*

Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Gotta agree with you on this one. If this person is what he claims and has experienced what he claims, flipping on gay marriage overnight as a direct result seems a little suspect. I'm really not sure how one impacts the other.
Doubt it was an over night flip but something that happened over time due to the continued experiences from their own community

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 AM

102 posts, read 147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.
Not standing up for gay rights is your choice. But I dont think that most 19 year olds have interest in marriage anyways whether gay or straight.

I am a gay woman, and I legally married to my wife. I have been blessed not to be attacked physically or verbally for my choosed life still. But maybe that is because I dont walk down the street saying hi Im Tia and I am gay. I dont flaunt the fact that I am gay, but I dont hide it also. I have been accussed (even by my own children, lol) of not being black acting black enough. All though I am only half black it seems I am expecting to walk around with a ghetto swag attitude, which I dont have. My skin isnt dark enough, I have white people hair, I dont listen to the right music, and I have never seen spike lee's do the right thing, all these things to some people dont classify me as black enough. But I think each person has to find there own truth and stick to that. I am gay and I dont go to gay parades, I dont do picket lines or anything of that nature. Its possible I am not gay enough either. I dont have a rainbow flag hanging in front of my house, I dont go to parades, I dont go to gay bars, I dont walk the streets in a thong on my wifes back or a motorcycle (scared of motorcycles) & I dont have a bunch of gay friends (I dont really think I have any).

But I do believe that I have the right to marry and spend the rest of my life with the same person that I have been in a commiteed relationship for 15 years. If you dont think gays should have the right to marry stand up for that, if you like the way you act, continue to act that way. You never know your views on life, and the way you see yourself will possibly change in the future.

Today when I get off work I will go pay bills go home and do my homework, and more than likely site on the couch with my wife and watch a movie. Tomorrow I am picking up my 6 month old granddaughter who is my world and go to my nephews party at Chuck E Cheese. As say this to show you that I have a normal life. The life of my choosing.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I am so sick of this " Equal Rights" garbage. Every single American has the same right as everyone else.

Marriage is NOT a right.

For the record I think the federal gov needs to stay out of marriage and it should be a state issue. Which many are taking up on their own.

But ENOUGH!!! of this making up rights stuff

To the OP dont let the haters get to you, its simply because you dont agree with their way of thinking and instead of debating, some want to attack or dismiss you but remember which group is tolerant *wink*
Why should marriage be left up to ANYONE other than the two consenting adults who would like to publicly vow their lives to one another? It is not a states issue OR a Federal issue. It IS a civil rights issue. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriage was illegal in this country - now interracial couples have the same rights to marriage and the privileges thereof as same race couples. It won't be long before the same privileges are granted to homosexual couples, as it should be. And all of you are going to be on the wrong side of history when people look back 100 years from now.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
OP, I'm so sorry to hear that you have been experiencing racism.

However, I think racism is not as similar to the gay situation as you may think.

- Marriage is not an outright civil right; that is why states have varying prereqs for couples before they can marry

- A civil right is based upon something you are born with and cannot control; race, ethnicity, gender. To this day there is NO conclusive scientific proof that people are born gay, only that they may be born with certain propensities to strong urges including alcoholism, sex-addiction, etc (despite activists attempts to convince us otherwise such as the "gay gene" fraud story several years ago)

- If gay marriage is legalized on a national basis, large numbers of people will LOSE rights; Christians, Jews and Muslims will lose the right to refuse to service gay weddings, counselors to advise against aspects of the gay lifestyle, and basically anyone to speak their disagreement of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies