Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
So there are racist gays and you want to punish all of them?

You have a great point that there are many gays fighting for equal rights who themselves hold prejudices but you have an unfair reasoning here.

You're 19? I will smile when you flunk out of calculous at school, because it doesn't seem you have a good grasp of logical thinking.
Doesn't gripe you that kids that young will flunk calculus? Notice the way I spelled the word and compare it to the way you did it. I am 79 and am very sure that I was right and you wrong. Maybe you need to come up with a subject that you can spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.
Tell ya what. When your partner of 30 years passes away and their long lost family members swoop in to take what's yours, you'll care.

When your loved one is sick in a hospital and you have no legal rights as a spouse, you'll care.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I certainly agreed with you there. Some of the videos of that group and their celebrations in California cities make me sick just thinking about what they are willing to do in public and I have as yet to see a black in those things other than in a few parades. Are they really that racist?
Which echoes what I've said over and over. Don't throw your sexual preferences in my face and we'll get along just fine. As far as I know, straights don't have a flag, so don't wave your flag at me. Straights don't have Straight Parade days, so keep your parades on your own property.

Seems simple, really.

And yes, I've had gay friends. I inherited a beautiful home on 2.5 acres from a gay friend who knew that of all his friends, I was the one he could trust to care for his beloved dogs when he died. And I did. I didn't give a sheet that he was gay, and he didn't give a sheet that I wasn't.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Tell ya what. When your partner of 30 years passes away and their long lost family members swoop in to take what's yours, you'll care.

When your loved one is sick in a hospital and you have no legal rights as a spouse, you'll care.
Oh, please. They have living trusts to take care of those possibilities. See my post above about how I was the benefactor of my friend's estate. He was smart enough to cover me. Yes, his evil family tried to take everything, but they couldn't.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

I have stopped standing for gay rights, and don't plan to restart any time soon.
So you want to practice the same type of bigotry, hatred, fear and ignorance that has been practiced on you.

How noble and spiritually enlightening.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,662 times
You sound young and rather ignorant. And self-defeating. There are other words I'd use to describe your intellect, but they'd get me an infraction.

Yes, there is substantial racism in the gay community - I will not deny that. But what of your fellow minority gays? You're standing up to deny them rights because some white gays don't like any of you?

See the ****-poor logic there?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
I'm 19, and a gay guy. I have been out since I was 16. I used to be fully on the LGBT rights side...

...until last night, when I found myself smiling at the news that North Carolina voted to ban gay marriage in their Constitution.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I also happen to be a black gay guy. And over the couple years I've been hanging around LGBT circles, I've noticed an astounding amount of racism among them. Yes, I know, racism is everywhere... but I've noticed that most of the racism I've been on the receiving end of has been from gay people.

How can I tell that the racism is from gay people? Well, I'd figure two guys holding hands is a pretty good sign, and seeing that in Dallas/Fort Worth here is common as pigeons nowadays. Plus, there's looking at Facebook profiles, clothing, bumper stickers, et cetera. I'd say 75% of racist crap hurled at me comes from them.

Upper-middle-class white guys--many of them gay--are busy gentrifying the inner cities of Dallas and Fort Worth... but are also busy looking down their noses at African-Americans who have been here most or all of our lives, years and decades before they even hatched the idea to move here from the suburbs. I get death glares from them when I ride my bike through what they consider "their" districts (Oak Lawn in Dallas is a perfect example) as if they're afraid I'll steal their hideous little pink mopeds or something.

I've also noticed how the majority of white gay guys (at least in my city) won't even befriend a black guy, as if we're a different species or something. Many of them are what I call "romantic racists", who shut out blacks (and sometimes even Asians too) from their romantic lives, under the guise of "just their preference", as if that's a valid excuse to be a racist. (For the record, I "prefer" catfish over fried chicken, but that don't mean I never eat chicken! In fact, I love both!)

Then, on the flip side, are the racist black gay guys. Not just the ones who won't date whites, but the ones who look down on other black guys who they don't think act "black enough". If I had an actual Oreo cookie for every time I've been called an Oreo, I'd be able to send them cookies to a third-world country and not only solve the hunger problem, but probably cause an explosion in the diabetes rate, too!

And no, I still don't know what "black enough" is. Perhaps if I drove a clown car that looks like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and a Terminator made love and had a hideous kid? No Earthly idea.

I've even been on the receiving end of physical attack where racial slurs were being yelled... and then later found out 3 of the 4 perpetrators were gay. The irony is disgusting.

My overall point is, the LGBT "community" needs to get its own house in order when it comes to discrimination before they start complaining about discrimination against them. A white gay guy that whines about not having equal rights and being discriminated against, then tells a black guy "no" because they're black, ain't nothing but a hypocrite.

Dude, there are racists and bigots everywhere, it's sad but true. Unless you are are saying that a higher percentage of gay whites then straights, are racists, because i have no clue on that part.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,918 times
Quote:

Why, you may ask?

So, for revenge, you think we need more anti-gay laws to get back at those gay white guys you consider racist? What about the fact that Proposition 8 in California's passage was attributed to the black vote. That in 2008 when Obama ran for president, it drew more minorities out than ever before, and on the same ballot, proposition 8 was voted on. Prop 8 passed primarily because of people of color; because people of color, are generally more homophobic than white folks. As a white gay person who has been out longer than you've been alive, I will tell you with certainty that blacks are almost always more homophobic than whites, and sadly more likely to promote violence against gays, as I have personally experienced (thus, perhaps the reason for your perceived racism). But homophobia is not directly related to race, but rather, education level.

I will agree to be gay is not easy, and to be both black and gay must be very hard, but at least your young enough to perhaps witness some positive change within your life time. And those "DL" bruthas, are not doing anything positive to support our community. -Note, there are a considerable amount of gays which are not racist, and many inter-racial couples are same sex.

And as far as gay white boys going into dilapidated inner-city ghettos and gentrifying them; the white gay boys usually the only ones willing, with enough "balls" to go into those neighborhoods and do something about it. This sounds like more a case of jealousy than anything else, and it can be said, that white gay guys are the only minority that will re-inhabit a neighborhood and actually cause property values to go up, rather than down (they did with the South End of Boston too, which was a slum, and is now an expensive posh, area of the city). Also, note, when these neighborhoods become gentrified, the overall crime goes down as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
So, for revenge, you think we need more anti-gay laws to get back at those gay white guys you consider racist? What about the fact that Proposition 8 in California's passage was attributed to the black vote. That in 2008 when Obama ran for president, it drew more minorities out than ever before, and on the same ballot, proposition 8 was voted on. Prop 8 passed primarily because of people of color; because people of color, are generally more homophobic than white folks. As a white gay person who has been out longer than you've been alive, I will tell you with certainty that blacks are almost always more homophobic than whites, and sadly more likely to promote violence against gays, as I have personally experienced (thus, perhaps the reason for your perceived racism). But homophobia is not directly related to race, but rather, education level.

I will agree to be gay is not easy, and to be both black and gay must be very hard, but at least your young enough to perhaps witness some positive change within your life time. And those "DL" bruthas, are not doing anything positive to support our community. -Note, there are a considerable amount of gays which are not racist, and many inter-racial couples are same sex.

And as far as gay white boys going into dilapidated inner-city ghettos and gentrifying them; the white gay boys usually the only ones willing, with enough "balls" to go into those neighborhoods and do something about it. This sounds like more a case of jealousy than anything else, and it can be said, that white gay guys are the only minority that will re-inhabit a neighborhood and actually cause property values to go up, rather than down (they did with the South End of Boston too, which was a slum, and is now an expensive posh, area of the city). Also, note, when these neighborhoods become gentrified, the overall crime goes down as well.
I didn't detect jealousy from the OP's post. It read more like an irrational reaction to very bad personal experiences to me which is not uncommon. He's 19. He will probably find his way back in due time.

FYI: White gay men are not the "only ones" with the "balls" to revitalize run-down urban neighborhoods.

Last edited by ariesjow; 05-09-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Doesn't gripe you that kids that young will flunk calculus? Notice the way I spelled the word and compare it to the way you did it. I am 79 and am very sure that I was right and you wrong. Maybe you need to come up with a subject that you can spell.
Oh wow, I'm sorry I misspelled a word.

Sure beats being homophobic. Yes, that's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies