Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support same sex civil unions?
I am against gay marriage but would support civil unions for gay couples 12 20.34%
I support gay marriage, but would get behind civil unions as a compromise 32 54.24%
I do not believe gay couples deserve any legal recognition as a union at all 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think all state recognized unions should be voided. All should be classified as civil unions, and all should have the same right to a civil union regardless of race, sex, and amount of participants.

Marriage is a religious ceremony, and as some religions don't follow that practice, and some do, and some don't believe in holy union at all, it should not be a state sponsored event.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The only way I'd support civil unions is if the gov't stopped recognizing the religious ceremony of marriage all together, and only recognized civil unions for everyone.

Government recognizing marriage makes as much sense as the states giving out drivers licenses for your bar mitzvah.
Yep. States should just get out of the marriage bidness. They get you to sign a contract that they can change at any time and you have no say in it at all. Marriage should be done in your church end of story. Your gay and want to get married go start ya a gay church and have at it.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:03 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
NC has that magic combination of really stupid black people and really stupid white people. I have no idea why redneck whites and redneck blacks don't get along, they have more in common than any other 2 groups in America, both are uneducated religious nuts. Guess its the same as right wing Christians and Muslims, too stupid to realize its practically the same invisible man they love.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
No. Cilvil unions are just bigots getting away with classing gays as second class citizens. No one can claim a word. It's just a word, and no one's beliefs will be hurt by someone else using the word.

Some christians are simply irrational children who can't understand that their belief system isn't so privileged anymore.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I do not understand what people opposed to gay rights are afraid ofdo they think a mob a gays and priests are going to jump them and trap them into a gay marriage or Civil union?
There's nothing to be afraid of and no one I know of is afraid of gays. Look at them, they're not exactly scary people.

For millions of years life was doing everything it could just to survive and procreate. Those are the only purposes of life on any planet in any galaxy in any number of theoretical existing or nonexistent universes.

Now gay people want everyone else to think they're all bigots because gays have come up with a perversion of the natural course of things that goes against millions of years of engrained evolutionary drivers in human life and life in general.

They've done a good job at fooling about 1/3 of the population into thinking if they don't agree with homosexuality they're wrong and bigots. Kinda like the whole liberal white guilt thing.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
I don't like the choices but chose the second option.

Dont believe the government has the power to regulate marriage. States should only set the age of consent. Gay marriage is fine by me.

I am a Catholic Conservative/Libertarian who believes consenting adults don't need my approval to pursuit their liberty and happiness in life... As long as they are not committing crimes, harming other people or infringing on anyone's rights.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The only way I'd support civil unions is if the gov't stopped recognizing the religious ceremony of marriage all together, and only recognized civil unions for everyone.

Government recognizing marriage makes as much sense as the states giving out drivers licenses for your bar mitzvah.
Um, that's the way it currently is. The government does not recognize religious marriage ceremonies. The government oversees civil marriage contracts - in other words we already have government civil unions, they're just called marriages in the law.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think all state recognized unions should be voided. All should be classified as civil unions, and all should have the same right to a civil union regardless of race, sex, and amount of participants.

Marriage is a religious ceremony, and as some religions don't follow that practice, and some do, and some don't believe in holy union at all, it should not be a state sponsored event.
Agreed. Civil union grants the couple legal benefits and is recognized by the state. Marriage is recognized by the church.

Marriage should be a strictly religious ceremony (while maintaining the priest/pastor/etc's role as witness), while civil union should be available to everyone so all can have the same legal rights.

Considering marriage and union to be the same puts the church in the position of being required by law to comply with acts that violate it's doctrine, which is why marriage and legal unions need to be separate.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Why not offer them legal protection so that when they divorce they have recourse ?
They already can get other benefits without have civil unions but need it for divorce.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,077 times
Personally, all I think gays/lesbians are entitled to is the right to be considered "married" in the eyes of the law in regards to tax filing, next of kin, insurance and health care decisions, etc.... If a church doesn't want to recognize or perform a gay marriage they should not have to however, in the eyes of the law everyone should have the same opportunity to have a partner.

So I guess that means I support unions? Who knows, who cares. Why do people care what others do? Two gay guys getting married isn't gonna make you gay or your kids gay or make you suddenly start belting out showtunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies