Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Right.

How great is one's is life when one is financially deep in the hole?

I'm not throwing rocks at CA for I live in NJ and our Democrat machine polticians try out-doing your politicians in terms of so-called progressive policies sending us down the financial rathole.

We're the highest taxed population in the nation and broke.

Top that, CA!!
How do you know if NJ is broke? I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Yes, I know it does but someone who doesn't plan to feed their child needs to be sterilized
Nobody plans to not feed their child.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody plans to not feed their child.
The problem is, they do plan not to feed their child but instead have the schools feed them for them.

Imagine if the schools were turned back into their original purpose of education instead of free meal centers? People would flip because the parents have no desire to get up in the morning and prepare their kids a breakfast or make a sandwich for lunch for them.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is, they do plan not to feed their child but instead have the schools feed them for them.

Imagine if the schools were turned back into their original purpose of education instead of free meal centers? People would flip because the parents have no desire to get up in the morning and prepare their kids a breakfast or make a sandwich for lunch for them.
You're right. When did schools turn into free meal centers? When I was growing up my mother packed my lunch or gave me money to eat in the cafeteria. I am from a family of eight kids and we never got free meals at school. The taxpayers are footing the bill for kid's educations now we should provide kids with free meals also? No wonder we are going broke.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Well bc fails all the time. The better economies get the better choices people make and the better society is as a whole. This has been indicated in studies. So getting Big Gov out of the way ripping people off and transferring wealth should help both issues.
Nonsense. If used properly most forms of birth control work most of the time. I would think the worse the economy gets the better choices parents would make like not producing more children they can't afford to care for themselves. That is the responsible way. I am tired of these strawman arguments about big corporations and governments ripping us off. Yes, that needs to stop but that in no way excuses irresponsible behavior from the masses.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
The problem isn't hard to fix mathematically, the problem is political. California has to cut spending, raise taxes, and make reforms.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Nonsense. If used properly most forms of birth control work most of the time. I would think the worse the economy gets the better choices parents would make like not producing more children they can't afford to care for themselves. That is the responsible way. I am tired of these strawman arguments about big corporations and governments ripping us off. Yes, that needs to stop but that in no way excuses irresponsible behavior from the masses.
Actually, three of my four children are living proof that birth control fails
Some folks are highly fertile and the slightest error, failure, miscalculation -- or thrilling passion (which it would appear many here do not experience, sad to see) can trip the switch. In our case, in spite of extreme poverty, we welcomed the little crumb-crunching curtain-climbers -- and managed to feed them.

Regardless of "the responsible way", births happen under all kinds of scenarios -- not all optimal and good and responsible. The majority of this nation identifies with Christian ideologies. I am not religious. Yet I apparently have more Christ in me than all you who so vehemently rise to judge others. What was that line about "let him among you without sin cast the first stone?"

As for the big corporations ripping us off -- yeah, I'm tired of hearing about it too. Let's outlaw the basta*ds so we don't have that issue to hear about anymore.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Actually, three of my four children are living proof that birth control fails
Some folks are highly fertile and the slightest error, failure, miscalculation -- or thrilling passion (which it would appear many here do not experience, sad to see) can trip the switch. In our case, in spite of extreme poverty, we welcomed the little crumb-crunching curtain-climbers -- and managed to feed them.

Regardless of "the responsible way", births happen under all kinds of scenarios -- not all optimal and good and responsible. The majority of this nation identifies with Christian ideologies. I am not religious. Yet I apparently have more Christ in me than all you who so vehemently rise to judge others. What was that line about "let him among you without sin cast the first stone?"

As for the big corporations ripping us off -- yeah, I'm tired of hearing about it too. Let's outlaw the basta*ds so we don't have that issue to hear about anymore.
Never hear of tubal ligation or vasectomy? Those are rather fool-proof methods of birth control if you have no way to feed your kids.

It's fine to be poor and have kids IF and ONLY if you will work hard to feed them yourself --- but to go around like stray dogs and cats having kids and expecting to have others hand you free food or expect unlimited food stamps is absurd.

And it's one thing when it's 5% of babies being born into food stamp families, but it's become a very absurd 40% of babies born into food stamp families - and that percentage is going up and up and up. Welfare truly has become a lifestyle choice.

One thing you apparently missed out of Christianity is the teaching that "God helps those who help themselves" and that means working for what they want, not helping themselves to all the government goodies being laid out before them.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Go for it -- destroying all business is extremely foolish. You want to penalize work and success. You want to chase out the corporations? Drive up unemployment? Then what?

Your problem is you truly believe that it's the government that provides all. You don't see that it's business, jobs, employers, work that keeps things going.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Never hear of tubal ligation or vasectomy? Those are rather fool-proof methods of birth control if you have no way to feed your kids.

It's fine to be poor and have kids IF and ONLY if you will work hard to feed them yourself --- but to go around like stray dogs and cats having kids and expecting to have others hand you free food or expect unlimited food stamps is absurd.

And it's one thing when it's 5% of babies being born into food stamp families, but it's become a very absurd 40% of babies born into food stamp families - and that percentage is going up and up and up. Welfare truly has become a lifestyle choice.

One thing you apparently missed out of Christianity is the teaching that "God helps those who help themselves" and that means working for what they want, not helping themselves to all the government goodies being laid out before them.
Oh my my my ... aren't we perfect and sanctimonious? Post after post after post of judgmental, knee-jerk, self-absorbed, stereotyping hyperbole ... you love those specious conservative news teaser stories that highlight the worst case scenarios don't you?

I didn't miss a thing out of Christianity, apparently. And my life has been broad enough and aware enough to see oceans of poor, starving, and destitute people working hard to survive on scraps in this world who get nothing from god for their efforts.

Quote:
Go for it -- destroying all business is extremely foolish. You want to penalize work and success. You want to chase out the corporations? Drive up unemployment? Then what?

Your problem is you truly believe that it's the government that provides all. You don't see that it's business, jobs, employers, work that keeps things going.
I don't think government provides much of anything except layers of bureaucratic frustration and nonsense. But I can tell you that government's very definition is to serve a society in its needs and provide protection from harm.

It's science:
Mankind is a social animal.
Social animals do not exist by sacrificing the many for the benefit of the few.

Penalize work and success? If it results in the kind of unearned arrogance you project, yeah, good idea. Let's go back to hunting and gathering in small tribes. Fine by me. You wouldn't last a week. You haven't a clue about true survival. If you did you wouldn't post the judgmental nonsense you constantly spew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies