Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

I can't wait for that point in time when it's mandated that all cars have alcohol sensors that prevent operation if the driver is intoxicated. Not so much because that will likely save lives, but because the arguments for those who want the freedom to drive drunk will be tremendously entertaining

Personally, I think those sensors are a necessary step to get to flying cars. It's one thing to be aware of potential dangers on the road where you might be able to do something to avoid an accident, it's quite another to have drunks in flying cars falling on your house at 3am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you got proof of that

Drunk driving statistics here's how many people died from drunk drivers in 2009,,10,839 fatalities
That's not a valid comparison. Drinking at a bar does not = drunk driving. For example, I have never driven after drinking at a bar, so my drinking has literally no affect on anyone besides myself.

However, the same cannot be said for smoking. If you are smoking at a bar (or anywhere in public) you ARE affecting other people who are around you. Basically:

If you sit down next to me in a bar and start smoking, you CAN harm me when I inhale your "fumes".

If you sit down next to me in a bar and start drinking, it doesn't affect me at all.

That's the difference.

And yes, maybe LATER you can harm me by driving drunk, but that is already prohibited.

So your argument actually supports banning smoking - you only ban the activity that has potential to hurt others. With drinking, that activity is DRIVING. That is illegal (to drive drunk). With cigarettes, SMOKING is the part that causes harm, so smoking in public is illegal.

Basically, if you support keeping "drunk driving" illegal then, by default, you ALSO support making "smoking in public" illegal. They are the same thing.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 AM

243 posts, read 279,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
That's not a valid comparison. Drinking at a bar does not = drunk driving. For example, I have never driven after drinking at a bar, so my drinking has literally no affect on anyone besides myself.

However, the same cannot be said for smoking. If you are smoking at a bar (or anywhere in public) you ARE affecting other people who are around you. Basically:

If you sit down next to me in a bar and start smoking, you CAN harm me when I inhale your "fumes".

If you sit down next to me in a bar and start drinking, it doesn't affect me at all.

That's the difference.

And yes, maybe LATER you can harm me by driving drunk, but that is already prohibited.

So your argument actually supports banning smoking - you only ban the activity that has potential to hurt others. With drinking, that activity is DRIVING. That is illegal (to drive drunk). With cigarettes, SMOKING is the part that causes harm, so smoking in public is illegal.

Basically, if you support keeping "drunk driving" illegal then, by default, you ALSO support making "smoking in public" illegal. They are the same thing.
Alcohol Minimum Pricing in public places solves the problem of drunks in bars by setting the price of alcohol in bars so high that few people would have multiple drinks. You would still be allowed to drink, just not as much in a public place. It would save lives and reduce crime by restricting drinking just like we restrict smoking.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM

488 posts, read 412,830 times
Of course drinking should be banned- by higher prices and higher taxation and no tolerance for public imbibement. Alcohol users should be denied by apartment complex owners, HOAs & ultimately on the neighbourhood level. Those institutions that grant mortgages should invoke the potential for a lapse of payments to no longer provide home loans to anyone that partakes in ANY form of alcohol. Finally, there should be Federally mandated screenings made judiciously and without prior announcement. Consent would be arbitrary and allowed under penalty of law, lawful punitive assessments falling under jurisdiction of the Dept. of Justice and assessed penalties collected by the Internal Revenue Service.

Consumption of food must be excruciatingly regulated and ALL toxic ingredients, natural and/or otherwise, must be removed from ALL foods and no longer used. One must only be allowed to consume healthy food that will be officially designated as such by a the proper government agencies, such as the Dept. of Agriculture & the Dept. of Health & Human Services, enforcements to be administered under the purview of the Dept. of Homeland Security since obviously incorrect foodstuff consumption is as deleterious to the well-being of the nation as any other act of terrorism.

Should anyone be interested in moving forward with these ideas, We suggest you contact the CDC and the above named governmental agencies for more information on how to further support these two very important initiatives that are past due in becoming legislative, thus social, reality. In our all-too-human decree against what is detrimental to a healthy lifestyle that is deserved of every conciously entitled human being. We must never waver in our battle to make humane our ways of life. In our tremendous endeavours, we bring enlightenment to those less sensible than we, we who are adamant in our demands that humanity be given the respect & responsibility to live in accordance with balanced lives and healthy alternatives to the most vulgar unhealth that surrounds us constantly.

Please join the movement for a brighter, healthier tomorrow by agreeing with us today! Enable our corporate control over all aspects of the human condition through over-reaching legislation. With our governmnet puppets, our wholesale subsidizing of universities and funding research grants and our generous support within and of all media, we will deliver on our agenda to make America and the globe a place most acceptable to our concerned points of view. There is so much to be done,more than we have said here. Share our protective mandate: Unhealth is Healthlessness!

*Brought to you by Friends of the Health Industrial Complex, Monsanto, Inc, 24-Hour Fitness, LLC and various public & private partnerships committed to a healthier world.

Last edited by TheEternalSanctuaryMan; 11-08-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

Tell me, please. What is it like to suffer insanity?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM

243 posts, read 279,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Of course drinking should be banned- by higher prices and higher taxation and no tolerance for public imbibement. Alcohol users should be denied by apartment complex owners, HOAs & ultimately on the neighbourhood level. Those institutions that grant mortgages should invoke the potential for a lapse of payments to no longer provide home loans to anyone that partakes in ANY form of alcohol. Finally, there should be Federally mandated screenings made judiciously and without prior announcement. Consent would be arbitrary and allowed under penalty of law, lawful punitive assessments falling under jurisdiction of the Dept. of Justice and assessed penalties collected by the Internal Revenue Service.

Consumption of food must be excruciatingly regulated and ALL toxic ingredients, natural and/or otherwise, must be removed from ALL foods and no longer used. One must only be allowed to consume healthy food that will be officially designated as such by a the proper government agencies, such as the Dept. of Agriculture & the Dept. of Health & Human Services, enforcements to be administered under the purview of the Dept. of Homeland Security since obviously incorrect foodstuff consumption is as deleterious to the well-being of the nation as any other act of terrorism.

Should anyone be interested in moving forward with these ideas, We suggest you contact the CDC and the above named governmental agencies for more information on how to further support these two very important initiatives that are past due in becoming legislative, thus social, reality. In our all-too-human decree against what is detrimental to a healthy lifestyle that is deserved of every conciously entitled human being. We must never waver in our battle to make humane our ways of life. In our tremendous endeavours, we bring enlightenment to those less sensible than we, we who are adamant in our demands that humanity be given the respect & responsibility to live in accordance with balanced lives and healthy alternatives to the most vulgar unhealth that surrounds us constantly.

Please join the movement for a brighter, healthier tomorrow by agreeing with us today! Enable our corporate control over all aspects of the human condition through over-reaching legislation. With our governmnet puppets, our wholesale subsidizing of universities and funding research grants and our generous support within and of all media, we will deliver on our agenda to make America and the globe a place most acceptable to our concerned points of view. There is so much to be done,more than we have said here. Share our protective mandate: Unhealth is Healthlessness!

*Brought to you by Friends of the Health Industrial Complex, Monsanto, Inc, 24-Hour Fitness, LLC and various public & private partnerships committed to a healthier world.
That's too real. There probably are people who think like that.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
More people than you can believe. History never repeats itself until it does.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
just a question?? don't get on me case..

now look at it this way, thay have practically banned cigarette smoking in all public places, then why not ban alcohol in public places!!! just think of all the lives that would be saved from people not leaving bars and resturants drunk. thousands of people die from drunk drivers, drunks with guns, drunks with attitudes..

i say no!!! but what do the nanny staters say???
Some places have already banned certain alcoholic drinks. And Obama banned flavored cigarettes.

So yes, telling people what they can eat, drink and smoke is consistent with Obama's America.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
Yes, more than you think. Obama banned flavored cigarettes. At least one state (WA, I think) banned red bull and vodka drinks. NYC is banning large soft drinks. CHI banned foie gras. And many states have banned pot. Obama supports the ban on pot.

It's the Democratic mantra; Tell others how to live their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies