Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:32 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,565,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I think we now have an uproar because many in the black community want preferential treatment. They don't want equality. They want immunity from violent convictions.
They have uproar because stupid towns like this give lighter treatment to white offenders. They think they can get away with it, no wonder their kids think so too.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:47 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,689,983 times
It's funny something like this gets race baiters like Jackson and Sharpton out for a march, but we all know if it was six white students that attacked a black student from behind, knocked him down, stomped him unconscious, then the white student would already be imprisoned under federal hate crime statues.

The Jena Six Predators belong in jail. For a very long time.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,565,709 times
Its funny how some people would make up examples and called it fact and then say we all know. No we don't know.

The Jena Racist Rodeo Clowns belong in jail too, but for a short time, cause we need our rodeo clowns.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,093,217 times
Im waiting for Sharpton and Jackson to begin the "Durham 3" caravan to Duke University.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM

28,989 posts, read 30,417,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Im waiting for Sharpton and Jackson to begin the "Durham 3" caravan to Duke University.

yeah, boy, they really are at the complete other end of the spectrum from Martin Luther....they eat all this stuff for lunch, then aggrivate it.

There was a white police officer, down in Atlanta...who was attacked by a black prostitute....she knifed him, over and over again, but he was able to get a few rounds into her and kill her before she did him in. Sharpton was right there, protesting....I really hate what he stands for...he uses this stuff for a living...like an insect, feeding off the blood of others...and he doesn't care, who is right or wrong....

Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,562,269 times
Quote:
It's funny something like this gets race baiters like Jackson and Sharpton out for a march, but we all know if it was six white students that attacked a black student from behind, knocked him down, stomped him unconscious, then the white student would already be imprisoned under federal hate crime statues.

The Jena Six Predators belong in jail. For a very long time.
The classic "if they were white..." argument. That argument is race baiting in and of itself. You seem to suggest that people who support Bell are asking for special treatment for Bell when they simply are asking for the proper application of the law (but I know you think it's properly applied).

However let's look at the "if they were white" position for a moment since you bring it up quite a bit. The other fight which was exactly the same if not worse, were several white kids beat up a black kid- the deadly weapon being a jagged bottle, that became jagged as it cracked the victims skull. So let's see what happened. Only one was charge, with simple battery and released.

You've done well so far to sticking to the issue and holding to your argument. There's no need to bring up "race baiting" or Jackson/Sharpton, unless you've simply run out of steam and need to deflect the discussion from the proper application of justice.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The classic "if they were white...". That argument is race baiting in and of itself. You seem to suggest that people who support Bell are asking for special treatment for Bell when they simply are asking for the proper application of the law (but I know you think it's properly applied).
Not suggesting it, I'm outright saying it.

Quote:
Let's look at the "if they were white" position for a moment since you bring it up quite a bit. The other fight which was exactly the same if not worse, were several white kids beat up a black kid- the deadly weapon being a jagged bottle, that became jagged as it cracked the victims skull. So let's see what happened. Only one was charge, with simple battery and released.
Disagree. You are "suggesting" a bottle was used as a weapon. There was no evidence of any bottle being used. Bailey never sought medical treatment, never went to the hospital, and it wasn't even brought up until days afterwards. And the Fair Barn incident was five black youths against the white guy. It seems to me an arrest and probation for battery was appropriate.

Quote:
You've done well so far to sticking to the issue and holding to your argument. There's no need to bring up "race baiting" or Jackson/Sharpton, unless you've simply run out of steam and need to deflect the discussion from the proper application of justice.
I feel they are part of it since they marched in Jena the other day. It's the fact they get involved in things like this that perpetuate it occurring again. People need to be held accountable for their actions, regardless of their race. And it's Jackson and Sharpton that are playing and raising the race card the most.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,562,269 times
Quote:
Not suggesting it, I'm outright saying it.

Disagree. You are "suggesting" a bottle was used as a weapon. There was no evidence of any bottle being used. Bailey never sought medical treatment, never went to the hospital, and it wasn't even brought up until days afterwards. And the Fair Barn incident was five black youths against the white guy. It seems to me an arrest and probation for battery was appropriate.

I feel they are part of it since they marched in Jena the other day. It's the fact they get involved in things like this that perpetuate it occurring again. People need to be held accountable for their actions, regardless of their race. And it's Jackson and Sharpton that are playing and raising the race card the most.
Let's simplify this then- as we can politely go around in circles on this, but this is America and I can agree to disagree.

My question Hawk is this- do you believe that institutional racism still exists. I'm not talking about what you hear on TV for shock value, but defined as inequalities in our institutional systems (law/order, education, politics, housing, job opportunities, etc.) solely based on on the color of skin? I'm not asking if you believe the race card is played (which I know you do), or do you believe that some people whether black or white are biased. I'm asking do you think there is at an institutional level, whether it be local, state or federal, that race is a deciding factor in the execution of those institutions.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:31 PM

64 posts, read 132,400 times
Quote:
My question Hawk is this- do you believe that institutional racism still exists. I'm not talking about what you hear on TV for shock value, but defined as inequalities in our institutional systems (law/order, education, politics, housing, job opportunities, etc.) solely based on on the color of skin? I'm not asking if you believe the race card is played (which I know you do), or do you believe that some people whether black or white are biased. I'm asking do you think there is at an institutional level, whether it be local, state or federal, that race is a deciding factor in the execution of those institutions.
How many other countries outside of White ones allow for the large-scale importation of other people outside of their race and give them all kinds of handouts and preferential treatment?

Do you think we still live in a biased system when the Black population of the U.S, comprising 12% of the population, commits 52% of all homicide? Do you think if that was fact was well-known, it may just irk people a little bit? Racism occurs for a reason.

Why don't you check out how the White minority in South Africa is treated? With apartheid over, SA now leads the world in baby rape, violent crime, etc etc and the population has to live behind gated communities because of it. The Afrikkans are being slaughtered for establishing a first world country on a third world continent and giving the people modern White technology and now they are killed because of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Let's simplify this then- as we can politely go around in circles on this, but this is America and I can agree to disagree.

Yes, I do think institutional racism still exists, and probably the biggest most widespread form of it is affirmative action. But I see racism and discrimination as part of the same problem. I see discrimination based on race, age, sex, height, handicap status, on bad breath, obesity, and too many numerous other types to mention. Is there institutional racism still in America? Sure there is. But all the other types of discrimination I mentioned are probably institutionalized as well.

But when it comes to the criminal courts and law enforcement I admit I'm biased. I used to be a corrections officer. I'm against, and oppose, every criminal regardless of their race. And I can honestly say, almost every single criminal I met while I managed jail housing units belonged there, regardless of their race.

But I think the courts and law enforcement in general are getting a bad rap when it comes to minority justice and institutional racism. There is a huge problem with crime in our minority neighborhoods, and most crime victims in black neighborhoods are victims of black on black crime. If the cops target a neighborhood then all the sudden they are arresting people for DWB, but if they don't target the minority areas where crime is high, then they get heat for deliberately ignoring the crime problems in our high crime minority areas.

To the point in the Jena 6 case. A young man, an athlete, who has been through the Juvie system a number of times on violent offenses. He has had more than one bite at the apple in the Juvie system. At what point does one have to start blaming oneself for ones own actions? This guy and his friends were stomping a guy when he was on the ground unconscious, and nothing anyone else did caused him to commit this horrible crime. It's almost like people are saying Barker deserved to be stomped because Bell suffered from black rage. I see no institutional racism in this case at all. Bell's attorney was black. US Attorney Donald Washington investigated the case and found no unfair judicial action. I honestly think that if you don't commit crimes, the police don't arrest you, regardless of one's race.

Mychal Bell has been dragged over and over before a judges due to his criminal behavior. There is an old saying, "...If you keep having problems over and over again then it's time to stop blaming other people for your problems..." Was it wrong for the other students to hang nooses on a tree? Of course it was. But it wasn't a violent crime, it was certainly a dumb thing to do, but it in no way rises to the level of the stomping Mychal Bell and his crew gave to Justin Barker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies