Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
SSM is not going to put any damper on reproduction. Males can get surrogate mothers and these may even be lesbian friends. All the so called issues of needing a male and female role model is BS. If a gay couple have a daughter, they would obviously use aunts, sisters et al. to cover that aspect. Gay folk are not going to bring their offspring up as gay as they know it is not based on choice.
In the end you're going to get what you want. So your argument is that it is biological and not a choice to be gay? Not all who are gay will want to have children. Some others will adopt. For the first time in history, it will be okay to be openly gay across the board. Now, based on the fact that you believe people are born gay (not bisexual), a gay person who doesn't tell a member of the opposite sex they are gay before sleeping with them and producing a child is going to be a liar. Outside of that, gays will no longer be socially forced into a traditional model with the opposite sex they are not attracted to, which would have normally led to children. So the shelf-life of the whole movement will be about 40 to 70 years, as they will not be producing.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
In the end you're going to get what you want. So your argument is that it is biological and not a choice to be gay? Not all who are gay will want to have children. Some others will adopt. For the first time in history, it will be okay to be openly gay across the board. Now, based on the fact that you believe people are born gay (not bisexual), a gay person who doesn't tell a member of the opposite sex they are gay before sleeping with them and producing a child is going to be a liar. Outside of that, gays will no longer be socially forced into a traditional model with the opposite sex they are not attracted to, which would have normally led to children. So the shelf-life of the whole movement will be about 40 to 70 years, as they will not be producing.
All this talk about "Gayd don't reproduce". What does that have to do with laws protecting their RELATIONSHIP? Stop thinking people need to marry to reproduce. And if Gays want children, they have options.

People in the 21st century don't need a marriage license to reproduce. Straight or Gay.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:52 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Marriage" isn't about love.
\ .
You don't know jack of what marriage is, I love my wife and that is exactly why we got married and why after 34 years we are still married.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You don't know jack of what marriage is, I love my wife and that is exactly why we got married and why after 34 years we are still married.
Congratulations, you are both very blessed.

Now, why shouldn't a Gay couple that has been together for 34 years have the same rights as you and your wife? Can you imagine having a medical emergency decision to make for your partner and not having the right to make that for her?

We must remember, Gays want protections for their relationship. Right to make medical decisions for their partners if need be. Rights to property, and the tons of other rights. No one is looking to storm churches and have Gay weddings and receptions. This not about religion. This is about protections from the government.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
Quote:
Not really. If you think gays are choosing then why have they been with us for all of recorded history? They come from hetero couplings. That aspect is not going to change.

Before the gays got their rights in SA, they were all over the place, news and in your face etc. Now, we hardly hear anything. Laws are in place not to discriminate against them, they can marry if they so choose, not sure about adoption stats here.

I think what clouds the issue are bisexuals who go both ways and for us it may appear as choice and justify the stance that gay is also choice.

Even if it is choice, I really do not give a hoot as long as what they do harms no one else. Stats tend to show us straights bullying gays as opposed to the other way round, of course at a gay bar/club, a straight bully will get his ass handed to him on a platter.

We once went to gay club in the early 80's. It was like $25 cover charge and booze and eats were free. The decor was brilliant, the lighting the whole ambiance the best in the city. Back then I was still reserved and sceptic and left after I had consumed my equivalent of drinks I would have paid for at my regular club.

Regardless, no gay guy hit on me the whole time I was there. They could tell I was not one of them.

Back in the day when I had long hair, my hairdresser was gay and really gay. Yet I felt no threat nor was I judgemental.

SSM is just an evolutionary step just as race issues were in the 60's.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:
And anyone who objects is a bigot. Got it.
Awww...did I hurt your widdle feelings with that?

Inability to handle criticism from others. Got it.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Not really. If you think gays are choosing then why have they been with us for all of recorded history? They come from hetero couplings. That aspect is not going to change.
. Same reason that rapists and child molesters are. No one really know what causes these things, right?

Quote:
Even if it is choice, I really do not give a hoot as long as what they do harms no one else. Stats tend to show us straights bullying gays as opposed to the other way round, of course at a gay bar/club, a straight bully will get his ass handed to him on a platter.
Never seen anyone who was openly gay get bullied in person. Gays have been more or less accepted for some time. Doesn't necessarily mean people want to publicly endorse it with same-sex marriage. They didn't stop at Don't Ask Don't Tell and they won't stop at marriage. They are pushing a lifestyle on people as if it's normal. It's not normal. It's also a political movement that doesn't just involve gays. It's fine, but they aren't like heterosexuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Awww...did I hurt your widdle feelings with that?

Inability to handle criticism from others. Got it.
You're hurting my self-esteem. I have seen the traditional way of life trashed my whole life. Only in America.

Last edited by Free-R; 06-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 06-03-2012, 03:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,160 times
The only people who can defend my marriage between myself and my wife are... myself and my wife.

Telling two men or two women that they can't marry each other doesn't defend my marriage. Period.

"when", not "if"

Six states down. Four more likely to follow this year (California, Washington, Maryland, Maine). More next year.

The outcome is written. Your state-enforced discrimination has an expiration date that is rapidly approaching.

Get used to it.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
The only people who can defend my marriage between myself and my wife are... myself and my wife.

Telling two men or two women that they can't marry each other doesn't defend my marriage. Period.

"when", not "if"

Six states down. Four more likely to follow this year (California, Washington, Maryland, Maine). More next year.

The outcome is written. Your state-enforced discrimination has an expiration date that is rapidly approaching.

Get used to it.
I never said I particularly endorse legalized gay marriage bans. I am for no one getting any special treatment just because they're married. Why isn't anyone standing up for single people? Why don't single people get tax benefits for being "lonely?" The litmus test for me is that if a family member said they were gay, I would still be against same-sex marriage. Has nothing to do with discrimination, bigotry or hatred. That's just spin. It's tomatoes and tomatos. One person's civil rights can be another person's discrimination. Not every is the same.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
Quote:
I never said I particularly endorse legalized gay marriage bans. I am for no one getting any special treatment just because they're married. Why isn't anyone standing up for single people? Why don't single people get tax benefits for being "lonely?" The litmus test for me is that if a family member said they were gay, I would still be against same-sex marriage. Has nothing to do with discrimination, bigotry or hatred. That's just spin. It's tomatoes and tomatos. One person's civil rights can be another person's discrimination. Not every is the same.
What does it have to do with then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies