Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yes exactly. Less serious of course but same concept.
News Headlines

It may actually be worse than DUI/DWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That's the point.

They're both potentially harmful to others. Not wearing a seat belt is not harmful to anyone but yourself.
It can be dangerous for anyone in the car with you. If you get into a wreck, you can be slammed into others if not wearing a seatbelt.

Of course, as long as everyone in the car is an adult, they are choosing to ride in a car with someone who is not wearing a seatbelt. And I think it's ludicrous that seat belts are required to be worn, at least by drivers and front seat passengers, in 49 states (and by back seat passengers in many if not most of those states) but that texting while driving is legal in most states. Texting, e-mailing, Facebooking, surfing the web, etc. should absolutely be illegal when driving. I'm torn on whether I feel not wearing a seatbelt should be legal or illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is sad..........my cousin was just a month from being 40 and while coming back from a business meeting was killed talking on her phone............

cell phones don't belong in cars
I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. That's very sad. That being said, I don't think talking on a cell phone is really any worse than drinking something (non-alcoholic of course) while driving, changing the music, talking to passengers, etc. There are many forms of distraction. Distracted driving causes accidents...and occasionally they result in serious injuries or deaths. It's very, very sad, but everything that could possibly cause a distraction cannot possibly be outlawed.

Texting/e-mailing/Facebooking/surfing the web is a different story entirely. If an activity requires both your hands to be touching your phone and/or you have to be looking at your phone, not at the road, for an extended period, it is incredibly dangerous and should be outlawed with stiff penalties.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,097,618 times
If caught texting and driving, you should be treated like you were driving while intoxicated and there should be devices that won't allow cell phones and other devices to work while the car is moving.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is sad..........my cousin was just a month from being 40 and while coming back from a business meeting was killed talking on her phone............

cell phones don't belong in cars
She caused her own death, which is sad. Cell phones in cars aren't the problem, it's distracted drivers.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,949,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
She caused her own death, which is sad. Cell phones in cars aren't the problem, it's distracted drivers.
I don't argue that. People who put on make-up in cars while driving just as bad. The thing here is it's not only teens, why are people getting in their cars and having so much more to fool with.

The no cell phone in cars is my personal opinion, I have mine in the car, but choose to put it away from me and only use it when I stop.

I agree with the poster treat it like drunk driving and with punishment maybe, less accidents will occur.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
The no cell phone in cars is my personal opinion, I have mine in the car, but choose to put it away from me and only use it when I stop.
Well...then you aren't for no cell phones in cars. I don't mean to be argumentative with you but you are saying two different things. I want my phone in my car, carphones were put in for a reason and that reason still exists, and I want passengers in my car to be able to use theirs however they want. But I don't want to text while driving and don't think anyone should. I may talk hands free while driving though, thats how my daughter does it and it's a great way for us to catch up while she endures the long commute.

Plus, you know, everyone takes their phones when they go out so obviously they are going to be in cars no matter what.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
At the time of the accident, she had been texting about the dangers of texting and driving.
Who says Natural Selection doesn't work?

Naturally selective....

Mircea

Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,949,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well...then you aren't for no cell phones in cars. I don't mean to be argumentative with you but you are saying two different things. I want my phone in my car, carphones were put in for a reason and that reason still exists, and I want passengers in my car to be able to use theirs however they want. But I don't want to text while driving and don't think anyone should. I may talk hands free while driving though, thats how my daughter does it and it's a great way for us to catch up while she endures the long commute.

Plus, you know, everyone takes their phones when they go out so obviously they are going to be in cars no matter what.
To think at one time we had to wait to get home to use the phone............... it's just amazing what people "think" they need while driving.

Just a note, I still feel phones don't belong in our cars and if you do put one in wait until your at a complete stop to use it, unless you are set up with Bluetooth or something to keep both hands on the wheel. I only take mine because I do use it at work, otherwise I'd be glad to leave it at home.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
If caught texting and driving, you should be treated like you were driving while intoxicated and there should be devices that won't allow cell phones and other devices to work while the car is moving.
I agree that texting while driving should be outlawed with stiff penalties - I'm not sure if they should be as stiff as the penalties for DWI though.

As far as cars being outfitted with devices that won't allow cell phones and other devices to work while the car is moving, that's crazy. Even if you think people shouldn't even be able to talk on the phone while driving, do you think passengers shouldn't be able to use their cell phones/other electronic devices as well?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,546,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
People need to understand the risks.

We have enough laws.

We have seat belt laws that people don't follow. If you are stupid enough to NOT wear a seat belt even though you know the risks - then you can't be helped with any further laws.
I know the risks and don't do it but you have to be on the road with idiots that don't really care and they can kill you or someone you love. Some stupid girl was texting and crossing a busy street today. I would think that she would have been bright enough to know better but I guess not.

Most of the people that I see texting and driving are middle aged women with SUV's full of kids. Do they know the risks, probably but don't seem to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies