Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,116,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
OK - but lets go back to what brought this discourse on satire about. I say "procreation takes place through sexual intercourse" and you counter with "the world is still flat". One is true and the other isn't. How can this be considered effective satire - situational or otherwise?
Remember your history of astronomy, and you'll have the answer to what you are asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Homer of Greek mythology was horrified by homosexuality .... oh wait, that was Homer Simpson in the fifteenth episode of the eighth season of The Simpsons.

He was afraid that Bart was going to become gay.

Shakespearean irony is dramatic irony. That is, in principle it is always an exploitation of the distance between character and audience which allows the audience to regard as illusory appearance what the character takes for unassailable fact.

This means that facts are facts - even if they're not.

It is a fact however, that not wanting to have gays in one's personal space is not unnatural. It's not something that gays should be offended by either. Most heterosexuals are uncomfortable when gays are in the area.
My dear, irony and satire are 2 different things.
Please learn the difference before before you elucidate ignorance.
Speaking of facts, I treasure my gay friends and colleagues, I judge people by the content of their character, not upon whom they bang.
But, I know from your posting history that your mind is more firmly closed than a bivalves shell.
Sorry, but I just dont have the energy to hate people, I am sorry you do.
-shrugs-

Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,083,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Remember your history of astronomy, and you'll have the answer to what you are asking.
The earth used to be considered flat and the sun was thought to have orbited around the earth. I don't recall learning that anyone ever thought that offspring came from anything but the sexual union of two sexual living organisms. Children were told the stork fable - but that was done only to protect their innocent , impressionable minds - something that our society has forgotten.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,704,714 times
Labels, labels, labels. Why can't we all just be people. I get so tired of likes and dislikes being labeled. Just because you have nothing in common with someone doesn't mean it should be labeled as this or that and certainly does not mean there is something wrong about it.

I grew up in an area where everybody spoke to everybody but we still had our favorite friends. We were all white so I would think that socializing with people you have something in common with would just be normal. I would never have thought to label those people I didn't spend a lot of time with in any special way.

When gays don't spend a lot of time labeling themselves, most of us don't notice it. The same goes for black people. But someone who spends every waking hour talking about their race or sex preferences is not someone I am ever going to be friends with. That would include any race of people and any person that talks about sex. Sex should be enjoyed and not talked about. That doesn't mean that I am a racist or have any kind of phobia. I have better things to talk about and I find discussing some things to be distasteful.

I have friends who are black and others have told me these friends belong to the NAACP and I have been told some of my friends are gay; but if they started talking about either subject, I am sure I wouldn't be around them long. I possibly have friends that are members of the KKK too, but don't know who they are because they would know better than share that with me.

Something that I find extremely offensive and when people do it I avoid them like the plague is someone who is so uneducated they cannot express themselves without taking God's name in vain and using gutter words. I am allergic to smoke too. Do you have a label for someone that does not like four letter words and nasty air. I think labeling someone is the same thing as judging them and most people need to be working on themselves instead of judging their neighbor.

Last edited by NCN; 06-08-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Labels, labels, labels. Why can't we all just be people. I get so tired of likes and dislikes being labeled. Just because you have nothing in common with someone doesn't mean it should be labeled as this or that and certainly does not mean there is something wrong about it.

I grew up in an area where everybody spoke to everybody but we still had our favorite friends. We were all white so I would think that socializing with people you have something in common with would just be normal. I would never have thought to label those people I didn't spend a lot of time with in any special way.

When gays don't spend a lot of time labeling themselves, most of us don't notice it. The same goes for black people. But someone who spends every waking hour talking about their race or sex preferences is not someone I am ever going to be friends with. That would include any race of people and any person that talks about sex. That doesn't mean that I am a racist or have any kind of phobia. I have better things to talk about and I find discussing those two things to be distasteful.

I have friends who are both black and I have been told some of my friends are gay; but if they started talking about either subject, I am sure I wouldn't be around them long.
Good point.

Heterosexuals don't go around promoting their sexual preference.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,069,799 times
Quote:
Good point.

If Johnny B Brown introduces himself and his wife, Sally, he certainly is promoting his sexual preference .

Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
If Johnny B Brown introduces himself and his wife, Sally, he certainly is promoting his sexual preference .
Yes - but he is not doing it in an overt, in your face, demanding manner.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Good point.

We do it every day.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We do it every day.
We do?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The earth used to be considered flat and the sun was thought to have orbited around the earth. I don't recall learning that anyone ever thought that offspring came from anything but the sexual union of two sexual living organisms. Children were told the stork fable - but that was done only to protect their innocent , impressionable minds - something that our society has forgotten.
I can only suppose my original remark was too subtle for you.
You strike me as a very literal person, as in a black/white, no shades of gray sort of way.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but folks like that dont get uber-subtle things of this nature.
Dont feel bad, I have to explain things like this to my black/white, no gray, conservative husband every day.
It keeps the conversation between us interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies