Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support straight pride parades?
I would support a straight pride parade. 43 30.94%
I would not support a straight pride parade. 61 43.88%
I would seek to have straight pride parades banned if they strated to take place in large numbers. 4 2.88%
I have no opinion. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Why would anyone do the work to block off entire city streets for a day when it goes on on city streets all of the time? No need to have a special parade event to celebrate what is always celebrated.
Why are gay pride parades neccesary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,939 times
I already have been, it's called Mardi Gras.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A comment in another thread got me thinking: since gay pride parades seem to be getting attention - why aren't there many straight pride parades? Is being gay something to be proud of - whereas being straight not something that people think should be promoted as good? Would you support a straight pride parade if one took place in your local area? If straight pride parades became a phenomenon - would you seek to have them banned?

Vote and discuss.
"Straights" have not been subject to the self esteem destroying practices that have always plagued gays. Consequently, there is no need for a friggin' pride parade for "straights."

You people never give up, do you??

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,631 times
Quote:
What is great about being gay? Why does a big deal need to be made about that?
I don't know that answer. It probably isn't any better than being straight. I would be surprised if it was.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times
OP, please define exactly what the bolded word from your poll means, I'm confused.

"I would seek to have straight pride parades banned if they strated to take place in large numbers."

Biased, BS poll.
I would only attend if I could wear a costume.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
"Straights" have not been subject to the self esteem destroying practices that have always plagued gays.

Consequently, there is no need for a friggin' pride parade for "straights."

You people never give up, do you??
So, it would offend you? You feel justified in telling others how they should act?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OP, please define exactly what the bolded word from your poll means, I'm confused.

"I would seek to have straight pride parades banned if they strated to take place in large numbers."

Biased, BS poll.
I would only attend if I could wear a costume.
Its a misprint ma'am - should be "started".

Why do you consider the poll to be biased? What options could I include or remove to make it better - in your opinion? I tried to cover all bases.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,226 times
Quote:
Why are gay pride parades neccesary?
Historically they've had a political function. They were mostly meant to be spectacle, taking what most people wish would stay hidden away because of socially-constructed moralizing and shining a light on it so as to illustrate that nothing horrible happens just because a bunch of people, who happen to be gay, are parading down the street in the spotlight, as it were. If you've ever been to a gay pride parade, they are hardly parades of perversity nowadays, if they ever were. And those displays that homophobes tend to point to with disgust during a gay pride parade are mostly self-parody by gays, frankly.

I use to live right off Halsted and Belmont in Chicago and the Gay Pride Parade came right down Halsted. It was really quite the tame affair. And the absolute funniest part of the parade was the float with the stationary bikes and these guys in speedos on them doing essentially an aerobic dance routine. It was HILARIOUS and self-parody. Is this something that gay men do on a regular basis? No. And that's part of the point.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So, it would offend you? You feel justified in telling others how they should act?
Where did I say it would "offend" me and where did I tell others how they should act?

I stated, as have other posters to this thread, that there is no need for a "straight" pride parade.

Seeing as how this is a public message board, I feel totally justified in posting my opinions.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Historically they've had a political function. They were mostly meant to be spectacle, taking what most people wish would stay hidden away because of socially-constructed moralizing and shining a light on it so as to illustrate that nothing horrible happens just because a bunch of people, who happen to be gay, are parading down the street in the spotlight, as it were. If you've ever been to a gay pride parade, they are hardly parades of perversity nowadays, if they ever were. And those displays that homophobes tend to point to with disgust during a gay pride parade are mostly self-parody by gays, frankly.

I use to live right off Halsted and Belmont in Chicago and the Gay Pride Parade came right down Halsted. It was really quite the tame affair. And the absolute funniest part of the parade was the float with the stationary bikes and these guys in speedos on them doing essentially an aerobic dance routine. It was HILARIOUS and self-parody. Is this something that gay men do on a regular basis? No. And that's part of the point.
OK - they are meant to demonstrate pride in being gay. So why would you oppose straight people doing the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies