Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times

Advertisements

As we all know, the Supreme Court ruling on the healthcare bill is imminent, and the sentiment seems to be that all or part of the law will be ruled unconstitutional. As this will come shortly before the main campaign season which will kick off with the summer conventions, it will obviously have some impact.

I think the conventional wisdom is that having the bill struck down would be a Republican victory, but I wonder if there is a point at which it could be spun in Obama's favor, or at least be neutralized as a negative. For example, depending on what would be struck down, people may see parts of the bill they liked disappear, like being able to purchase coverage for adult children up to 26 or not denying coverage for pre-existing conditions. The most rabid opposition to the law comes from a subset of people who were never going to vote for Obama anyway. Can he spin it that he promised healthcare reform, got it passed, but it was overruled by factors beyond his legislative control, and further spin it that the Republicans have no alternative for something that has clearly been an ongoing problem?

If the Republicans are careful not to gloat, as Boehner warned, and quickly float some kind of alternative draft of a law, that probably wouldn't happen, but they'll have to be careful not to boot it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
When the right wing dominated SC strikes down the Affordable Care Act, it'll open the door for what should have happened in the first palce: a single-payer plan and universal health care.

The only thing that may possibly save Obamacare would be the health insurance industry begging the five right wing justices to not put them out of business.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM

858 posts, read 708,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If the Republicans are careful not to gloat, as Boehner warned, and quickly float some kind of alternative draft of a law, that probably wouldn't happen, but they'll have to be careful not to boot it.

this will never happen. I've been waiting for 4 years for Republicans to offer their alternative. All I hear is repeal, repeal, repeal...with no offer to substitute, fix, or provide coverage to those benefiting from the health care law. I hear more of 'it's your own damn fault you don't have coverage' than what to do about millions of people trying to get coverage who are being denied every day.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
this will never happen. I've been waiting for 4 years for Republicans to offer their alternative. All I hear is repeal, repeal, repeal...with no offer to substitute, fix, or provide coverage to those benefiting from the health care law. I hear more of 'it's your own damn fault you don't have coverage' than what to do about millions of people trying to get coverage who are being denied every day.
Republicans don't have an alternative plan. Even if they had one, they wouldn't bring it out until after this
election. Would be no political advantage for them to do so.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Republicans don't have an alternative plan. Even if they had one, they wouldn't bring it out until after this
election. Would be no political advantage for them to do so.
Not true. Republicans do have an alternative plan. Romneycare and they have just the candidate to implement when he becomes President

Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
I've been waiting for 4 years for Republicans to offer their alternative. All I hear is repeal, repeal, repeal...with no offer to substitute, fix, or provide coverage to those benefiting from the health care law. I hear more of 'it's your own damn fault you don't have coverage' than what to do about millions of people trying to get coverage who are being denied every day.
You seem to believe that only a government program or five can provide health care... that private sector solutions haven't a prayer.

Is there some reason for that?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
I think the conventional wisdom is that having the bill struck down would be a Republican victory, but I wonder if there is a point at which it could be spun in Obama's favor, or at least be neutralized as a negative.
I see the Supreme Court decision as a win/win for the President. There's an upside to whatever it decides. If, as most people expect, the Court strikes it down, that decision will further energize the Democratic Party base and many Independents. Especially so following today's judicial activism in the SEIU case which has caused a chorus of criticism from the legal community. If the Court gives the Congress most of what it wants, most of what it adopted, then the President bragging rights and that, too, an affrmative decision, will energize his base in the party and amongst Independents and moderate Republicans. The nation supports what the President wanted but didn't get, and what the Congress passed. Win/win.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM

68 posts, read 41,521 times
Quote:
Government shouldn't be needing to provide for everyone. You should recieve healthcare as a benefit for being a hard worker, not for being a lazy bum. More businesses providing healthcare means more jobs. You don't want the government to control which healthcare you go to.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
, people may see parts of the bill they liked disappear, like being able to purchase coverage for adult children up to 26 or not denying coverage for pre-existing conditions

If this part of the bill is not struck down by the court and the mandate is the Republicans will move for full repeal, the strange part is the Democrats will have no choice but support repeal unless they want to send the HC system into chaos. Both of those provisions hinge on the mandate, they cannot exist without it.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Here's a question. Don't they already have the decision? If so, why are they waiting. Serious question. If they have the verdict why does it keep getting pushed off? Why not just come out with it already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies