Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM

104 posts, read 138,065 times

Advertisements

I'm very encouraged by the responses to this question. I was starting to think that all Americans were besotted with religion, and religion does not have a very good history in terms of compassion and respect for life. My only query is that athiests cannot prove there is NOT a God any more than the religious can prove there is. I'll sit in the agnostics corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I want a President that makes rational decisions based on facts alone who is not concerned with what he perceives an invisible man in the sky to be frowning at.
Same here. And you make a very good point about rationality here. I was just pointing out that an atheist candidate lacks this extra motivation to be honest while running for president.

Also in the interest of being fair, I would want to be certain this was not an atheist who thought the 'a' stood for "anti-", because I don't want religious freedom to go anywhere either.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times
Default Not all Christians pro war

Quote:
I care, it's hard to be as good as one can be when you irrationally believe that whatever happens is in the hands of an invisible man in the sky. A rational person values life and would likely not casually send citizens into wars and conflict.
But far too many Christians don't question their govt. Also, many Christiana do question their govt.

There are political discussion churches & apolititical churches. Those churches who just talk about sins of people do not pay taxes. Those that talk about sins of govt pay taxes, sort of like a tax on free speech. Or like some churches being paid hush money. Wonder if any church has tried to change this? Also, some millionaire churches get billions of taxpayer $$ to provide rather flawed drug treatment programs.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
An atheist would be just fine with me. Heck I don't care if he worships Zeus as long as he's not like the last two morons.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Same here. And you make a very good point about rationality here. I was just pointing out that an atheist candidate lacks this extra motivation to be honest while running for president.

Also in the interest of being fair, I would want to be certain this was not an atheist who thought the 'a' stood for "anti-", because I don't want religious freedom to go anywhere either.
It's the fallacy of all fallacies to claim that the belief in a god gives a politician extra motivation to be honest. I can't even believe you implied that.

George Bush Part 1 famously said that atheists shouldn't be consided citizens so we've already had the anti-atheist in the WH. An atheist would be the last person to try and strip someone of a private freedom. Believing in fantasy is just fine as long as you keep it out of the public square. A clear illustration would be the "mosque" (cultural center) at (blocks away) ground zero. There were no atheists protesting, only other religious people.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
It would be nice not to have a POTUS that doesn't dance naked in front of a bonfire dedicated to Moloch. Its been a while.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
It's the fallacy of all fallacies to claim that the belief in a god gives a politician extra motivation to be honest. I can't even believe you implied that.
Ehh, I was more saying that it MIGHT give extra motivation. After all, it is an extra REASON to be. Certainly not that it does with every Christian presidential hopeful (I mean, they are still politicians ).

Quote:
An atheist would be the last person to try and strip someone of a private freedom.
Perhaps. But if they're convinced enough that religion is the cause of far more trouble than it's worth, I could see it happening, personally.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,897,485 times
I'm thinking we have already had a few. Just never came out of the closet so to speak.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
I care, it's hard to be as good as one can be when you irrationally believe that whatever happens is in the hands of an invisible man in the sky. A rational person values life and would likely not casually send citizens into wars and conflict.
Not casually but would he send them if needed. I think you have missed what may well be needed and allowed religion, or the lack of it, make up your mind for you. I am proud of the fact that I just can't handle that kind of thinking.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Ehh, I was more saying that it MIGHT give extra motivation. After all, it is an extra REASON to be. Certainly not that it does with every Christian presidential hopeful (I mean, they are still politicians ).

Perhaps. But if they're convinced enough that religion is the cause of far more trouble than it's worth, I could see it happening, personally.
How about being honest being the only reason for being honest. Religion obviously isn't. Religion is the cause of far more trouble than it's worth as are cigarettes and you don't see atheists trying to get either banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies