Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:51 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Oh, is that it? LOL I imagine its hard to find another Church like Wright's. Maybe you're partially right though. Perhaps he never cared that much for God, but used the church as Wright hinted at. Or, perhaps he just went for everything but the religion aspect to it. The race and anti-American part of it.
I firmly believe that they'll find a prayer rug under his bed when he vacates the WH in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I firmly believe that they'll find a prayer rug under his bed when he vacates the WH in January.
LOL I doubt it. If I think about it, I dont think Miami was actually right. I dont think Obama really is religious. He may have spent 20 years with Wright, but I dont think Wright was about teaching of a relationship with God. I think he was more into the racial and social aspects of it. At the very least, I think that is what was attractive to Obama. And Wright may actually be right. Obama probably did use the church in the last 5 or so years of his attendance to help him get somewhere politically.

Obama, in my mind, is like many other politicians. Calls himself a part of a religion, yet I dont believe for a second he really is a Christian. I dont think he really follows any religion. What's really important to Obama, is Barack. Barack comes first. He might as well worship himself.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
LOL I doubt it. If I think about it, I dont think Miami was actually right. I dont think Obama really is religious. He may have spent 20 years with Wright, but I dont think Wright was about teaching of a relationship with God. I think he was more into the racial and social aspects of it. At the very least, I think that is what was attractive to Obama. And Wright may actually be right. Obama probably did use the church in the last 5 or so years of his attendance to help him get somewhere politically.

Obama, in my mind, is like many other politicians. Calls himself a part of a religion, yet I dont believe for a second he really is a Christian. I dont think he really follows any religion. What's really important to Obama, is Barack. Barack comes first. He might as well worship himself.
He was raised a Muslim.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
New poll indicates Americans ready for an atheist President | The Zingularity

I'm not only ready but hoping to be able to vote for an openly atheist Presidential candidate in my lifetime. It's going to be great when we can finally get superstision out of the White House.
I doubt the validity of this pole. I don't think we have gotten to that place yet, and in fact I believe we are seeing evidence of a return to our moral roots, not the opposite. Recent polling indicates that a mojority are now pro-life, whereas a few years ago, pro-"choice" was still the majority view.

An atheistic world view, I believe, would have dire consequences for a freedom loving people. Our laws are based on principles that have been passed down from generations of God fearing people, Jews and Christians alike, and are rooted in Biblical principles, and the Ten Comandments.

A President with no moral underpinning (on what basis does an atheist determine morallity?) could easily become a tyrannical and evil dictator.

I would add that we aren't far from that now, under Obama. At least he claims to have a belief in God, even if much of what he believes is out of the mainstream of Christianity. Imagine one a hundred times worse. We could wind up with someone who would think it fine for Muslims in this country to practice their religion as they wish, allowing them to freely exercise their belief in "honor killing."

Imagine also what an an athiest President's view of our unalienable rights, as enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, might be? Meaningless, perhaps? He might belive that rights come from government, and can be created or taken away as the government sees fit.

Is that the kind of government you want?

Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I care, it's hard to be as good as one can be when you irrationally believe that whatever happens is in the hands of an invisible man in the sky. A rational person values life and would likely not casually send citizens into wars and conflict.
God is NOT an "invisible man in the sky." God is not a "man." God is God.

And on what does a person, with no firm foundation for his rationale base it on, if not on God?

Sorry. Man is not by nature, "good." I wouldn't trust a person with no moral foundation.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

And on what does a person, with no firm foundation for his rationale base it on, if not on God?

Sorry. Man is not by nature, "good." I wouldn't trust a person with no moral foundation.
If you get religion and God out of the picture then government can define our "moral foundation" and tell us what is right/wrong based on what laws are in effect.

Example: Abortion was wrong and illegal until the government put a law in place.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Ehh, I wouldn't trust the government/law to tell me what's right or wrong any more than I'd trust "God". But some people prefer "God" telling them what to do because such instruction can be altered along the way, fitted to their personal values and other beliefs. Can't do that with the law. Checks and balances and aldat.

Now, that I think on it, I wonder if some Christians out there are simply both wanting self-justification and impatient. You can have God give his approval of pretty much anything right on the spot, whereas the law takes a ton of effort and time even to make the smallest change.

Hmmm, better disregard all of that. It's early, and my thoughts are scattered. Adieu

Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
I doubt the validity of this pole. I don't think we have gotten to that place yet, and in fact I believe we are seeing evidence of a return to our moral roots, not the opposite. Recent polling indicates that a mojority are now pro-life, whereas a few years ago, pro-"choice" was still the majority view.

An atheistic world view, I believe, would have dire consequences for a freedom loving people. Our laws are based on principles that have been passed down from generations of God fearing people, Jews and Christians alike, and are rooted in Biblical principles, and the Ten Comandments.

A President with no moral underpinning (on what basis does an atheist determine morallity?) could easily become a tyrannical and evil dictator.

I would add that we aren't far from that now, under Obama. At least he claims to have a belief in God, even if much of what he believes is out of the mainstream of Christianity. Imagine one a hundred times worse. We could wind up with someone who would think it fine for Muslims in this country to practice their religion as they wish, allowing them to freely exercise their belief in "honor killing."

Imagine also what an an athiest President's view of our unalienable rights, as enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, might be? Meaningless, perhaps? He might belive that rights come from government, and can be created or taken away as the government sees fit.

Is that the kind of government you want?
""""A President with no moral underpinning (on what basis does an atheist determine morallity?) could easily become a tyrannical and evil dictator."""

LOL! Yup, those christians have never done anything immoral...LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

What sinful ARROGANCE and total lack of knowledge of the history of the world. Total ignorance of the Inquisitions and the rest of the history of christians who firmly believe those who don't believe should be tortured and murdered...LOOK UP HOW JEWS WERE PERSECUTED IN the 1500's in America....

""what basis does an atheist determine morallity""

Oh, common sense ....something sorely lacking in people who believe in magic fairies floating around in the sky !!!!

I am an atheist....I don't hate those who are less fortunate than I, I don't rape children( a common practice among christian Catholics who hide it and promote it),

I know laws are in place to create order.

I don't believe war is the only answer to everything as christians do.

I don't believe everyone has to believe exactly as I do and consider it wrong, immoral, and self destructive to hate those who don't think as I do....totally contrary to how christians feel.

I don't believe torturing and slaughtering those who don't believe as I do....christians do....they enjoyed it for centuries....you christians can't hide history...

Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:

Why did you "god" thing make such a flawed product???

Whatever your god thing is , it sure did a really lousy job...and you still pretend to worship it????

Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am ready to vote for a President who will uphold the Constitution and exercise his duties and obligations outlined in said document.

Let me know when we have a candidate who will actually do that

I don't care what religion she/he is...as long as he/she doesn't attempt to shove it down our throats.
Religion has no place in politics. It actually offends me. It's like they are trying to brainwash the public when I hear it. Sadly it works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies