Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I don't think that is fair for a lot of people. Some of my best friends are black. I treat them no differently then any of our other friends. Except to tell ya the truth i have more fun with our black friends, they are not so on the tight rope.

I think it is safe to say, that yes there is white trash as well, white dependent on the system as well. And plenty of white criminals.

I can see where there is still racism today, but i honestly don't look at my black friends, and think they are different because of their color, i don't. I look at each friend as an individual. And cherish each of my friendships, the same and equal.

I don't know today, it seems there are a lot of white punk criminals out there, and yes they are out there, don't make it right any more then a black punk.

Good and Bad, and this is how it has always been!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM

114 posts, read 245,036 times
uh oh this thread is getting out of control .......

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Are you arguing with reality? That being poor is linked to crimes (those that people just love to point the finger at blacks and Hispanics for)? I'm not trying to excuse any of it, though I think it's dumb of someone who hasn't been poor for a while if at all to take an attitude like they just KNOW how they'd handle being poor when they really have no idea. I'm just pointing out that this is a much more important factor to discuss.

But everyone wants to talk about race. Even though there's immensely more practical sense in tying financial instability to crime than tying the color of one's skin to crime.

Even pinning it on "Black subculture" is idiotic. Some blacks eat it up; I say it's BS, or at least that every family living on welfare (regardless of their race) needs to take it in as well because it applies to them too. Lower class people in general tend to stand in each other's way. They promote violence and drug use far more than they promote a good education and social competence.

If you insist on talking about race, you're quite misguided. But at least you're not alone.
Us Irish were terrible back in the day: we were LOWER than "free persons of color" 150 years ago. We went from being Shanty Irish to Lace Curtain Irish. We did it tho a few of us are still drunks and fools in 2012.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I opened this thread and KNEW it was going to be about something 'black this or black that.' don't these people ever get tired of talking about blacks?? Why don't they get onto another minority for once, seriously. WE are tired of all this unnecessary and often ridiculous attention placed on our communities and skin color. Every other day we have to be reminded by non whites that we're black.

Newsflash: we know.
I think most of these posters are probably White people who rarely, if ever, come into contact with Black people, who are trying to convince themselves they're not racist by coming up with reasons for why it's okay to have an aversion towards Black people. I think that many White people are also a bit scared of or don't understand the way some Black people act culturally, which they also then (incorrectly) attribute to all Black people. For example, maybe they will see a group of Black kids on the bus, who are being pretty loud and rowdy. Then, because they aren't exposed to Black people that often and don't really know any up, close, and personal, will proceed to assume that all Black people act like that.

The way I see it is this. The human mind likes to find patterns. It stems from ancient survival techniques when we as humans would taste a bitter plant, find out it made us sick, and then remember not to eat bitter plants in the future since they make us sick. Then our ancestors passed down that knowledge to their offspring, down the line. We eventually developed a natural, automatic disgust response to bitterness. So our brains are in the habit of doing the same thing with modern-day stimuli.

So someone who's only exposure to Black people is watching rapper music videos, the 11:00 News, and movies like "Rush Hour" will most likely form a negative opinion of Black people, because Black people are still often portrayed in a certain way by the media. How often do you see a Black person in a movie who is the main character, or an important character, with a complex, deep, multidimensional personality? How often do you see Black people as the smart@ss sidekick to the fully-developed White main character? How many movies can you think of where the whole movie is mostly Black actors portraying caricature-like Black roles, with purposefully "over the top" plots?

If someone doesn't know very many Black people personally, these are the images they have to go by. "Black people" is still an abstract concept to them that they can have a political view about, instead of seeing Black people as individuals, with just as wide a variety of experiences as Whites.

Most of the time, when people actually get to know Black individuals as friends and become family, they drop their racist attitudes, because they realize that Black people are just like any other people. But for those who only have an arm's length view of Black people to go by, it makes sense to them to harbor opinions about Black people like the ones stated in the OP's link blog post.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

It's the old "I'm not racist - I have a Black friend" line! Lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
What is never discussed is the fact that many Whites feel entitled to sit at the top of the totem pole.

If a Black person has a better job it is only due to Affirmative Action and stealing a promotion away from some deserving White man

If a Black person has obtain a higher level of education it is also due to Affirmative Action which also did the work and graduated them too

If a Black person has a better house or a nicer car they are selling drugs or pimping

The truth is that many of the (White) people who complain day in and day out about Black people (especially here on C-D) do not want Blacks to rise above them because then they can no longer claim "superiority". White people envy Blacks who have done better than they have in life and celebrate when someone who has reached success falters. I call this the Tiger Woods syndrome. When he "fell" the phony folks who use to stand on the sidelines and "faux" cheer literally feasted on his demise.
Nailed it. Add to it that they luv to revel in the plight of poor blacks stuck in ghettoland. Searching the internets looking for that next news story that "proves" all blacks are lazy, criminal, welfare queens, baby factories, etc. Anything to reinforce their feelings of superiority. Funny thing is how low into the barrel they dig for their lame stories is indicative of how pathetic their own lives are....

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-25-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

That's the part that's racist. Black people are still seen as representatives of their race, instead of individuals. Yes, there are Black thieves and criminals, etc. etc. I don't know anyone who denies that. But if a White person steals, that person is a thief. If a Black person steals, Black people are thieves. That's the logic most people still use today and that makes the whole "equating Black people with crime" mentality racist.
This is part of what worries me about these violent "flash mobs" too. If those kids go to prison for violent behavior and stealing, then so be it. However, individuals like me decide to exercise their individual responsibility and live as decent people. I have 5 weeks before I graduate from college. I'm not out there stealing and committing acts of violence on other people. However, when stuff like flash mobs occur, that stuff could end up on my head simply because I share the same skin color as the persons who did all of that crap.

I remember reading an article about some kids from the suburbs of Portland,OR. A group of them went into an Albertson's grocery store, looted it, then went to the parking lot and harassed other people. I went down through the comments. I found one that said something along the lines of "why won't the article say 'black youths' instead of youths"?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofny26 View Post
Lets be real. I am a Hispanic female and although what the article states hurts...I believe it. We have a major ongoing problem with the Blacks and Hispanic community and our mentality.
I think it hurts because it doesn't represent individuals. I tend to take it personal because I'm an individualist at heart.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Where are the statistics on how often Black people are suspected of crimes vs. how often White people are suspected of crimes? Where are the statistics on how often White people get away with crimes, unscathed and unreported, while their Black counterparts are convicted and incarcerated? Where are the statistics comparing the sentences White people vs. Black people receive, for the same crime? Where are the statistics on the white-collar crimes that rich White CEO’s commit, but everyone keeps quiet cause they’re getting paid well? Where are the statistics on all the unreported crimes?

The justice system is not any more immune to racism than any other institution. Therefore, we cannot just rely on statistics to tell us how pervasive racism is, because the very process of reporting and convicting criminals is conducted through the same lens of racism as everything else in society.

Anyone who says this…

…is
1) Not Black
2) Doesn’t know any Black people personally (hearing Morgan Freeman as the voice for Through the Wormhole doesn’t count)
3) Is completely oblivious to the social dynamics around them, unwillingly
4) Is completely obviously to the social dynamics around them, willingly, a.k.a. in denial
You really don't think that deMar is a black man, do you? I don't see you wanting to discuss anything but what you consider wrong when you copied all those statistics but you only want to discuses them from the standpoint of I am black and you aren't. I see that you sure wouldn't ever want to listen to Uncle Toms like Bill Cosby.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Bernie Madoff and all of his white collar crime buddies say "hello"

All kind of people steal. One doesn't have to be poor to steal. I have been poor and never thought of stealing.. I would rather do without than steal and have my dignity and not worry about a cop knocking at my door .

And if one is so poor how come the people in ghettos buy drugs? Yes , they steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies