Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Wrong. It's a secular, civil, LEGAL agreement handled by the government. The religious entity doesn't give you the tax breaks or other benefits the government does.

It's okay, take all the time you need to realize you're wrong.

Take government and the privileges they grant, out of the equation and what do you have.

Equal footing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Take government and the privileges they grant, out of the equation and what do you have.

Equal footing.
Yeah and if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's arse when it hopped. What is your point?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

Equal footing.
You start fighting to have government stop giving any special treatment to all marriages. I'll keep fighting for marriage equality. Let's see who gets there first.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
>Marriage has always been a religious ceremony

Why do people believe such idiocy?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
If Partner A and Partner B cannot be wed due to gender makeup and gender makeup alone, but Partner C and Partner D can, then something's being denied and it's rather discriminatory.
Other
1 cannot inherit partners pension, federal
2 cant sponsor partner for immgration, if partner b is none US
3 cantnput on health plan, unless they work for a company that offers it, mine specifically says no.
What else?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM

83 posts, read 435,580 times
I don't even engage the haters anymore, because they will lose this fight.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:12 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,414 times
Another Sandusky thread?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then stop reading topics on a message board about the subject.
Oh I'm sorry, was the name of this forum changed to "All Gay Issues"?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:

Equal footing.
Or not. Marriage has been and always will be a government matter that religion decided to stick its paws in for no good reason other than to give themselves a reason to sleep better at night.

Denying people the same rights as everyone else is discrimination and is unconstitutional.

Constitution > Bible

Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
A commonly held (and quickly diminishing) opinion, this belief has had wide and far-reaching implications on the lives of millions upon millions of LGBT people across the world.

I don't think anyone can understand what it is like to be discriminated against unless they have been discriminated against themselves. Most of the people that practice discrimination have not experienced the discrimination they dish out.

I know what it is like to be discriminated against for being a woman, black, and gay. Although I have no idea what's it's like for older people, people with physical or mental disabilities, or immigrants. However, because of my baseline experiences as triple minority, I can understand what it is like to be discriminated against in general.

We are treated as lesser beings than those that are supposedly the "right" people, those that have the right skin color, national origin, physical attributes, mental faculties, sexual orientation, religion, etc. in the USA, the "right" people are white, straight, and Christian. All the rest of us are "less" than they are.

Those that are "right", don't have a clear understanding, to say the least, of what it is like to be considered "less" than they are. They have experienced most everything good that our society has to offer just because they were born with all the "right" stuff and have all the "right" beliefs. The laws and norms are all in their favor.

It is amazing to me that those that think less of others so often are the perpetrators of the discriminatory behavior, the violence, hatred, bigotry--all of which is regularly posted on this forum--that will maintain their power over all those that are not "right".

How often do the ones that are discriminated against create the violence as opposed to those that feel they are the "right" ones? The "right" ones are most often the ones that start the vitriolic speech and do the violent acts against those that are not "right".

I am sick and tired of a government that panders to a mouth breathing, backwards, and hypocritical "religious right", while bullied gay teens commit suicide. These kids are killing themselves because everyone is tacitly endorsing these homophobes by not taking a stand against them.

I know things are changing quickly, and equality will come soon, but I just find it so tragic that people can't see the bigger picture. That it is wrong to hate other human beings, and it is wrong to denote second class status to those who are "different".

Now, in spite of all the ridiculousness with the right trying to curtail LGBT rights and rampant homophobia, I take solace in knowing that in 20 years, the new generation will look at the anti-gay crowd the same way this generation looks at the anti-segregation crowd of the '60s--as a bunch of narrow-minded, fanatical, ignorant bigots.

Can't wait!

Prepare for an onslaught on condescension from the bratty, white hegemony. Your problems are real, no one should tell you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies